• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage TR 100 yrd group!

toyfreak

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2009
Oklahoma
Finally got a chance to shoot some good ammo on a day when the wind wasnt blowing, which is rare in OK.

I haven't seen other 100yrd groups from these guns but I think this is pretty respectable.
Give me some honest opinions, should i keep looking for a tighter group with different ammo or is this close to as good as im going to get.

This is the result.

SK Rifle Match
38719bdd.jpg

5f32f83f.jpg

Re: Savage TR 100 yrd group!

How did you shoot, was it from bipod, rest, etc?

Looks O.K. to me but I guess it also depends on your ability as well.

My TR will shoot (usually) one hole 5 shot groups at 50 with Rifle Match and will hold just under 1moa at 100 with some wind.
Haven't tried it at 100 on a calm day though.

That is from a bipod.

(Edit...by one hole I mean very similar to your top target, a cloverleaf)

No wind in Oklahoma! Wow!
laugh.gif

Nice shooting. It will only get better as you work with that rifle. Have fun and enjoy!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 00Buck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you shoot, was it from bipod, rest, etc?

Looks O.K. to me but I guess it also depends on your ability as well.

My TR will shoot (usually) one hole 5 shot groups at 50 with Rifle Match and will hold just under 1moa at 100 with some wind.
Haven't tried it at 100 on a calm day though.

That is from a bipod.

</div></div>

This was off of a rest.
Sounds like i need to keep ammo testing.

I wouldn't worry too much, the groups look good to me. How is your 5 round group at 100 (usually)?

I've only got about 400 rounds through mine so far and I believe they tend to tighten up after 1000 or so?

I tried Center X but don't think it is worth the price difference. The rifle will shoot as good or better with rifle match thus far.

Shot this one today at 50. My second best (best was .54"). Bipod/no bag. Made me happy.
smile.gif

20101222200948.jpg

Nice shooting SBS, it's amazing the fun you can have with a 22lr and some lead!

What rounds were you using?

Thanks. Actually that was shot with my .17 HMR using CCI TNT. That same day I had a 20 round group that measured .84". The Boyds stock is accurate as hell!

I haven't shot mine yet, but some tetra gun lube and about 500 times cycling the action and it is nice and slick, just need to get high enough rings for my scope and I'll be ready to go!

I'm about to shoot mine for the first time today.

Everywhere I read says these things increase accuracy with round count. Do you guys just go out and plink with bulk ammo to get your round counts up? Shoot, clean, shoot clean, etc. I'm reading numbers like 800-1000 rounds later and they're sub MOA. That's easy enough with $40 worth of bulk federal FMJ but 1000 rounds of target ammo just to get the thing broken in will start to hurt the wallet.

I wouldn't just go out and try to get the round count up. Go pick up a bunch of different ammo in small amounts and start trying each (usually begin with the cheapest and go up from there). When you find one that your gun seems to like and you are satisfied with, go buy a bunch of that particular type (and lot #) if you can.

By the time you fool around with figuring out which ammo your rifle likes, the round count will be up a bit anyway. Go clean the rifle and start shooting more.

I just cleaned my TR the other day at about 400 rounds. I guess I could have waited a while longer but the accuracy "seemed" to be slipping so I ran a boresnake through it a few times.

For me, I just want the thing to hold around the 1moa mark at 100yards and it will make me happy. I don't believe it will do that at 200 but I intend to find out soon enough!

My whole issue with the Boyds stock was finding out how the new stock liked to be held. It is much more rigid than my factory synthetic stock. It turned out that the new stock liked to be held pretty darn tight.

For some reason, at 50 yards, it sctually dislikes the bag. My second time out, shooting with the bag I produced a best 5 round group of .42". When I shot at another target without the bag, my best 5 round group was .28". This seemed to be pretty consistant.

At 100 yards it's totally opposite. It likes the bag, and not only does it like to be held loose, it shoots best free recoil.

For me this wasn't an issue of rounds. It's more an issue of figuring out what is basically an entirely different rifle.

Thanks J Roger. I'm super happy now. Tryin to shoot it at least 3 days a week. Gunnar be a great trainer.

I tested about 40 different brands of 22lr out of my Savage Mark II FV. SK Standard Plus grouped the best for me at 100yds with 5 rounds under .5". I cant remember the exact group but i set my calipers to 0.5 and it barely touched the outside holes.
I ordered 500 of them and they all group well in our 100yd 22 "Fclass" match we just started. Its no problem to get 10 rounds in under a 1" group.

I tried everything from Federal Ultra Match, RWS Target, to Remington Golden bullets.

It did take around 600 round before the rifle started shooting its best.

Here is my MKII FV.
Vortex 6-25x50
Yankee Hill Mite
Walmart Bipod
blush.gif

22Rifle16.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NonnieSelman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tested about 40 different brands of 22lr out of my Savage Mark II FV. SK Standard Plus grouped the best for me at 100yds with 5 rounds under .5". I cant remember the exact group but i set my calipers to 0.5 and it barely touched the outside holes.
I ordered 500 of them and they all group well in our 100yd 22 "Fclass" match we just started. Its no problem to get 10 rounds in under a 1" group.

I tried everything from Federal Ultra Match, RWS Target, to Remington Golden bullets.

It did take around 600 round before the rifle started shooting its best.

Here is my MKII FV.
Vortex 6-25x50
Yankee Hill Mite
Walmart Bipod
blush.gif

22Rifle16.jpg
</div></div>

walmart bipod works fine on a 22 ftw