• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Ultralight 280 AI chassis options

Usmcsomerville

USMC Vet
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 21, 2017
    Brighton, MI
    I just picked up a Savage Ultralight in 280 AI. I was planning on leaving it in the factory stock, but the mod bug keeps knocking on my door. Has anyone tried putting these in a chassis that is made for a savage long action? I have been reading that I will need to modify 300 WM AI mags (bending the feed lips in), but want to do all my research before I think about ordering one. I never thought I would own a savage, but this rifle is a tack driver with the handloads I have and its going to be a 100% hunting rifle (with the ability to take it out west) I was looking at dropping it into an xlr element 3.0 with a folder for packing.

@XLR Industries any feedback?

You will need to tune the 300 WM and similar AICS magazines as the chassis will have 3.850 length magwel and we are unaware of any 30-06 and similar 3.850 length magazines, unfortunately. It has most defiantly been done with success with other customers' 280 AI builds. Every combination can entail different results because of different actions and magazine combinations. The amount of savage ultralight and Element 4.0 MG combinations lately have been crazy and the accuracy and weight results have been very impressive. Look forward to hearing and seeing how the project comes along.

Reactions: Usmcsomerville
    I am thinking about doing this exact same thing. I will be watching this thread for more advice.

Reactions: Usmcsomerville
    BC61BF39-FFAF-46C6-AB0A-2EFD668E47BA.jpeg

finally finished the build. Got a used xlr evolution gen2 (really bad Duracoat job so it was cheap) and had it sand blasted and cerakoted. It came with a 3.850 CIP mag. Used a mpa feed lip tool to set the height correctly, but then the rounds would get hung up going into the chamber. I ended up trimming the feed lips back and polishing them. Feeds butter smooth now.

Reactions: XLR Industries
    View attachment 7862306

finally finished the build. Got a used xlr evolution gen2 (really bad Duracoat job so it was cheap) and had it sand blasted and cerakoted. It came with a 3.850 CIP mag. Used a mpa feed lip tool to set the height correctly, but then the rounds would get hung up going into the chamber. I ended up trimming the feed lips back and polishing them. Feeds butter smooth now.
    Is that primarily a hunting or target shooting/steel hitting rig?

Looks the goods though, cheap rattle can paint job aside