• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage upgrade question ...

Rainier42

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
New Hope, PA
Have a Savage PC10 in .308 and look to upgrade the following:

1. am looking to upgrade barrel to a 24" Savage R5. Anyone know a source for these?

2. Have found the Savage bolt to be a bit sloppy. Anyone have any experience upgrading to a slightly oversized PTG Savage bolt?

Thanks,
Rainier

Re: Savage upgrade question ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rainier42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a Savage PC10 in .308 and look to upgrade the following:

1. am looking to upgrade barrel to a 24" Savage R5. Anyone know a source for these?
</div></div>
Pac-Nor sells prefit Savage barrels

Savage will NOT sell their factory barrels (the limited run 5R included) to individuals.

Barrel- Pick up a 5R blank and have it chambered.

Bolt- I ordered one from Midway as they were in stock and a little cheaper for me then direct from PTG. The downside to this is you can't choose your bolt's OD. Mine dropped in and has VERY minimal play in it. Not fully installed yet as waiting on a bolt head from PTG still.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chakup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel- Pick up a 5R blank and have it chambered.

Bolt- I ordered one from Midway as they were in stock and a little cheaper for me then direct from PTG. The downside to this is you can't choose your bolt's OD. Mine dropped in and has VERY minimal play in it. Not fully installed yet as waiting on a bolt head from PTG still. </div></div>

Which bolt did you get ... fluted or non? Also, once you receive the bolt head will you be able to lap it yourself or will you be sending out?

You might check with Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply. I know that he sells new take-off barrels, as well as a few aftermarket brands.
Contact Information for NSS:
E-mail - [email protected] (that is Q.com not G.com)
Phone - 763/682-4296 - BEST WAY TO CONTACT ME
Fax - 763/682-6098