• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage vs FN pbr xp

2ndamendfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2010
UT
I have both a savage and a fn pbr xp. want to start doing some long range shooting. Which gun would be better to put money into? like Muzzle brakes, stocks, maybe DBM. If it matters I have not shot the FN so I could sell it and put the money into the savage, which I would rebarrel and restock.

Re: savage vs FN pbr xp

If I had to choose between the two I would go with Savage. You can get a 10FP with a McMillan stock and send it back to McMillan to have a cheekpiece and adjustable LOP recoil pad added. Then you are ready to go.

Good luck,

JamieD

savage offers easy barrel swaps. you can shoot .260 and .308 in the same day. look at the stuff available for a FN compared to a savage. what does FN have out there for it? ive never looked, but if there are upgrades planned, figure out what a rebarrel would run you for either one. and remember you can do the savage while you are at home. or in the field, at the range.

I'm a fan of both of these.

I've had the extractor foul from a leaky primer on the Savage.
I doubt that would be a problem with the FN.
This may or may not be an issue for you.

It's hard to outshoot a Savage with pretty much anything. They are pretty amazing that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> what does FN have out there for it? ive never looked, but </div></div>

You should have just stopped posting right there.

An FN PBR XP is a Winchester Model 70 action. It is one of the best bolt action rifle designs ever invented.

Picking a rifle design based on a bunch of aftermarket crap on the market?

C'mon, have some sense....

Everything you could possibly need for either rifle is available.

My experience, which I admit is very limited, with Savage is that they're designed to be cheap rifles. Stuff I've read on here suggests that they aren't as smooth as a Remington or Winchester action, and are in need of serious trigger work from the factory. They are obviously less expensive. They have a reputation for excellent accuracy out of the box, however. As such, they have a reputation for being excellent "value" rifles--offering a lot for less money.

The FN/Winchester action is going to be more expensive to rebarrel, because it requires a special machining operation to clearance the barrel for the extractor.

Neither are as common as the R700, with which more gunsmiths are familiar.

If I had a Savage, I'd probably resist putting any money into it unless I intended to keep it indefinitely. Everyone knows they're cheap rifles. Nobody's going to pay you what it's worth, with upgrades, even though there's no doubt that it costs just as much to build up a Savage as anything else.

I'm not sure I'd put a whole lot of money in a Winchester action unless I intended to keep it for a long time as well. Personally, I love mine, and I think it's in many ways a superior action to a R700. But the R700 has been around for almost 50 years and it won the popularity contest. People will pay more for a R700 in many cases even though it is in some ways inferior. This is just the way of the market, not a personal judgment call on my part.

Many people on this site who wish to build custom rifles end up buying a custom action, I think for a good reason. By the time you pay someone to true up your action and install a custom barrel, you're going to be very close to the price of a custom action anyway, which may offer some features you like.

I don't think there's any better factory action than the FN/Win70 and if I were going to build a custom rifle based on a factory action, I wouldn't build it on anything but a Winchester action. That said, I'd probably take the advice of many here who have poured money into a factory rifle and buy a custom action and start there.

If I was only going to make minor upgrades to either one, I'd probably pick the FN even if I wasn't biased toward the design. The reason I'd consider that is that FN has factory rifles out there that cost in the $2500 range. If you go to sell your PBR XP, with upgrades completed, it's going to be much easier for someone to compare your rifle to the higher-dollar factory FN rifles and their features than a Savage.

In the end I wonder why I wasted my time making this post, though, because if you have to ask this question, you probably should be spending far more time at the range learning to shoot, and far less time wasted thinking about what new gadget you're going to pay someone to put on your rifle. Equipment is great to talk about on the Internet and in the theoretical, but the fact is that if you haven't spent enough time behind a rifle to know your preferences and learn proper technique, what you need is a boatload of ammunition and time on a range....not a particular piece of equipment.

Another gun snob at work. There is no reason to bash any rifle. Any rifle can be made to shoot with enough money dropped into it. If you look at the prices of doing each and break it down. And you had the exact same amount of money to put into both the savage will outshoot the FN or Rem just due to the amount of upgrades you can make to the savage that will correct all it's flaws compaired to the amount it will take to correct the flaws on the other brands. Yes at the end of the day if you sell it you will see a major difference but when you're on the firing line and putting bug holes in targets at range it doesn't matter what brand name is on the reciever because none of them have the stock barrel, trigger or stock.

Spend more time on the bench taking your time making rounds and more time behind the trigger than working to buy the latest gadget. Here is how I've figured the breakdown of accuracy.

45% ammo (worked up for your rifle)
25% Firearm
30% Scope

The reason I say this is you can have the best rifle in the world if you put crap inconsistant ammo through it there is no telling where your rounds are going. Scope is inportant because if the zero keeps bouncing around you'll just be saying prayers before each round and firearm last because if you have consistant ammo and a good scope with the right guy behind the trigger you can still put rounds on target.

I love going to competitions with gun snobs when I pull up with my Stevens (budget savage). I always get looked down on until we get to the 900 and 1000 yard targets and I start getting hits on 12" plates with my inferior rifle. It's not the stick it's the driver. Like stated before practice see what rifle fits you better and find the rifles flaws before you start trying to upgrade.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another gun snob at work. There is no reason to bash any rifle. Any rifle can be made to shoot with enough money dropped into it. If you look at the prices of doing each and break it down. And you had the exact same amount of money to put into both the savage will outshoot the FN or Rem just due to the amount of upgrades you can make to the savage that will correct all it's flaws compaired to the amount it will take to correct the flaws on the other brands. Yes at the end of the day if you sell it you will see a major difference but when you're on the firing line and putting bug holes in targets at range it doesn't matter what brand name is on the reciever because none of them have the stock barrel, trigger or stock.

Spend more time on the bench taking your time making rounds and more time behind the trigger than working to buy the latest gadget. Here is how I've figured the breakdown of accuracy.

45% ammo (worked up for your rifle)
25% Firearm
30% Scope

The reason I say this is you can have the best rifle in the world if you put crap inconsistant ammo through it there is no telling where your rounds are going. Scope is inportant because if the zero keeps bouncing around you'll just be saying prayers before each round and firearm last because if you have consistant ammo and a good scope with the right guy behind the trigger you can still put rounds on target.

I love going to competitions with gun snobs when I pull up with my Stevens (budget savage). I always get looked down on until we get to the 900 and 1000 yard targets and I start getting hits on 12" plates with my inferior rifle. It's not the stick it's the driver. Like stated before practice see what rifle fits you better and find the rifles flaws before you start trying to upgrade.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet. </div></div>

I agree with basically everything said here.

I think my point was clear when I said that if you have to ask this question, you're probably not spending enough time on the range and lack the skill to benefit from any fancy piece of equipment.

I'm not a gun snob by any stretch, and I think most here would be hard pressed to find any serious difference in the performance of their rifle without wearing out a barrel on the range first.

I can't believe I'm saying this
grin.gif
, but Downzero, nice posts. I agree with everything you said.

2nd Am Fan, I am certain you will not like the FN and you should sell it to me at a ridiculously low price. Disregard the man behind the curtain and his comments about high-priced FN's.

Downzero, who buys a rifle because of how smooth the action is from the factory. Every action will smooth out after it is cycled enough times. Also, picking a rifle based on the aftermarket is very important. I have a fair amount of experience with both Savage and R700's. You can't even compare the triggers from the factory. The accutrigger isn't amazing but it is better than the factory Rem trigger, not to mention the out of box accuracy is superb. Look at prices of Savages as well, they are pretty much the same as remington and are not made to be cheap. Well the axis is... I am not trying to preach but just set straight some of these misconceptions.

2nd Am Fan, either rifle will be nice, if you expect to keep it for awhile, upgrade the Savage. Being able to swap your own barrel is a nice feature and they have full aftermarket support now. However, they will have a lower resale value if you end up wanting to sell it.

Since you have never shot the FN I would suggest shooting it first to see how it shoots and if you like it. Compare the two side by side and see which one shoots better. My vote is pick the one you shoot/like the best. With enough time and money any rifle can be very accurate.

Savage's trigger needs work? Hmmm....all my STOCK Accutriggers are MUCH better than STOCK triggers on Remingtons...
I guess Savage Team never won that 12F Class National 1000 yard Match. How can one do that with a <span style="font-style: italic">cheap</span> rifle and a <span style="font-style: italic">bad</span> trigger...? Confusing indeed...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe I'm saying this
grin.gif
, but Downzero, nice posts. I agree with everything you said. </div></div>

I'm glad.

FWIW, I don't get to shoot rifles enough and I'm still working on the "wearing out the factory tube" stage. When that's done, I think I need to consider two things: changing calibers and a barrel with a much shorter chamber than what I'm shooting now. The latter is a given. The former, I'm not sure. .30 cal bullets are cheaper than 6.5 and 7mm bullets and sticking with .308 may prove the best option until I move onto a custom rifle.

There are so many rifles on the market that it doesn't even matter anyway. For years people have been saying that you can get into long range shooting for $1k or less. I agree with them. I probably have about $2k into my rifle but it has a McMillan A5 and a variable power scope--both of which are unnecessary for a new shooter and add expense.

The best custom bolt action rifles have to be in the 8-10k range with glass. The rest of us have to figure out how to do more with less. And I'm willing to bet that if you put my rifle into the hands of a skilled competitor, he could beat almost everybody, if not everybody, even if everyone else on the line had a fancy custom rifle.

Nice equipment helps the best look that much better. Nothing other than good ammunition and a decent factory rifle is needed to get started and learn the fundamentals.

I am primarily a pistol shooter and every time I make a mistake, it comes back to fundamentals. Rigid and unwavering expertise of the fundamentals of marksmanship are what it takes to win. Believe it or not, for even the best shooters, this is the case.

"Nice equipment helps the best look that much better. Nothing other than good ammunition and a decent factory rifle is needed to get started and learn the fundamentals." Down Zero

I agree with Down Zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndamendfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both a savage and a fn pbr xp. want to start doing some long range shooting. Which gun would be better to put money into? like Muzzle brakes, stocks, maybe DBM. If it matters I have not shot the FN so I could sell it and put the money into the savage, which I would rebarrel and restock. </div></div>

Forget the Savage...

I don't think you know what you already have in your hands there.

Good fortune has smiled on you in acquiring the FN. It's a well made rifle and ready to go as it is. You don't need to change it or spend any money on it.

You won't appreciate it's capabilities just sitting there in the box...just get optics and ammo and go shooting.

TC

Wow, serendipity. I am logged on today to ask the same question, almost. I have an older model (flat top) Savage 110 .270 and a Win. 70 30-06 (post '64). I am debating which one will be a donor for a project; long range precision rifle to mostly punch paper & steel. In reading the above, it seems that most are of the oppinion to sell & buy custom. I'm under no time crunch so I'll go with the rebuild route, as time & budget will allow.
All things being equal, they are both great guns, equally appointed; light hunting bbl, sporter wood stock, cheap Weaver base/rings & no accurizing work. As such, they have both been great hunting rigs, reliable & reasonably accurate, with a slight edge to the Savage (+/-MOA vs <MOA).
As these are both LA (I want to keep the bolt) I am still deciding if it is going to be a short action cartridge (243, 260 etc), LA (25-06, 280) or go 30-06. Whichever action is picked, it will get a new bbl, stock, DBM, and accurizing work.
Savage-
It <span style="font-style: italic">seems</span> that Savage has much greater after-market support (possibly less so by mine being an older flat top).
Relative ease of DIY work.
For an out of the box gun, the Savage is a lazer. (if it ain't broke, can I fix it 'till it is?)
Winchester-
Awesome handling rifle.
I prefer the 3 position safety group (over the Savage and the Rem).
It just "feels" smoother & hardier.
One will become a precision tactical rifle & the other will stay a stock hunting workhorse.
Writing this, I think I am leaning to the Win. If anyone has direct experience with the rebarreling of either of these, I would love to hear input. Sorry if this was hijacking.
Thx,
Tarjan

Myself and a couple buds use to goof on Savage (Salvage as we use to call them) but they have come a LONG way in making a good rifle.
Once set up with good ammo they will shoot better than most of the operators running them. I have a lot of respect for them and dont bag on them anymore. That being said I have an FN SPR A4 that is a tack driver. Now if I can talk myself into dropping the factory DBM and getting a CDI set up I will be done tweaking it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndamendfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both a savage and a fn pbr xp. want to start doing some long range shooting. Which gun would be better to put money into? like Muzzle brakes, stocks, maybe DBM. If it matters I have not shot the FN so I could sell it and put the money into the savage, which I would rebarrel and restock. </div></div>

Forget the Savage...

I don't think you know what you already have in your hands there.

Good fortune has smiled on you in acquiring the FN. It's a well made rifle and ready to go as it is. You don't need to change it or spend any money on it.

You won't appreciate it's capabilities just sitting there in the box...just get optics and ammo and go shooting.

TC </div></div>

This.
You can put Muzzle brakes, stocks, maybe DBM on either one.
The FN has the superior action.

If you have a pre 64' model 70 I would not modify ANYTHING. As collectors are paying a pretty penny for unmolested models. The model 70 action may be smoother but it does not have a floating head design therefor it will take more gunsmithing to recieve the same level of accuracy due to the lock up on the lugs to reciever. This is why you usually need more gunsmithing with a remington and winchestor to get them to savage accuracy level right out of the box. (Got the flame suit on) Because of this one piece design however the remington and winchestors will be smoother. So what is more important to you a smooth action (which doesn't affect accuracy) or lug/reciever lock up being better in the savage which does effect accuracy. It's all about what you want in your rifle.

Procedures and prices:

Time and true action(120.00+):
Savage -optional but not needed
FN-Needed if it didn't come that way from the factory

Barrel install:
Savage - Can be done yourself with no go gauge and wrench (40.00max)
FN - Needs fitted and headspaced by smith (140-250.00)

So I think you understand where I'm going with this one. It's all just up to the user. There is no doubt both with be more accurate than you are 90% of the time. The only question is what is going to get you the same level of accuracy for the price. Also an unmolested pre 64 or unmolested FN is going to bring more money on resale than something a smith has worked on.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

i just have to point out that he said that he has NOT shot the fn

thats like asking which girlfriend to keep and which one to dump
when you've only fucked one of them

women and guns are alot alike
some are pretty to look at
some are fun to ride/shoot

and every once in a while you find one that is both
thats the keeper