• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Say what you want about Savages...but here's mine

Yeah, I'm not nuts about the ergos (lack of ability to adjust rise and length) but the build of the actual AccuStock itself is pretty cool. And it seems pretty accurate but needs to have it's action screws torqued properly to maximize that accuracy.

https://rifleshooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/accustock-pic.jpg

I'm curious about folks who suggest that "bedding" an AccuStock will improve it. Seems to me that the action rides on/is secured to a solid aluminum insert and the only points of contact is the action itself with the barrel being free floating. Any links to properly bedding an AccuStock would be much appreciated as it looks pretty much as good as it get to me as it is.

VooDoo

Last edited:
Reactions: 10ring1
Agree. The aluminum block is a very solid foundation in and of itself

IMHO, the interference fit design concept inherent in the AccuStock bedding block/receiver interface really doesn't seem to me to leave much basis for additional bedding.

But if that's what it takes to float one's boat, have at it...

My only haggle with the design is the ergonomics, but that may be in the process of being resolved too with the AccuFit feature. So far, I've only seen it being implemented with selected long action models. It would seem reasonable to me to expect that to eventually include short actions as well.

Savage generic stocks have usually incorporated some drop at the heel, contributing to muzzle flip, and possibly exaggerating the upward recoil forces against the cheek when recoil is substantial. I have always preferred the stock's upper surface to be parallel to the bore axis, in an effort to relieve such a tendency. That's one of the features I especially prefer in the Stoner AR stock design.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Agreed on the AccuStock - functionally it seems well engineered but I do not like the ergos at all. I have all kinds of stuff (foam rubber and vet tape) on my butt stock trying to get a good cheek weld and my eye up to my optics. The more I shoot and the better I get the more I hate the ergos of the Accustock.

Time for a chassis but I don't have the $ yet.

VooDoo

I really like my savage 308. It’s been a great fun to have rely on. I like it better than my old Remington sps

The new (2018?) accustocks seem to have rudimentary cheek and LOP adjustments as seen here. Not sure if they've made any other changes, but if the bedding block has stayed the same it looks like Savage's version of the Magpul Hunter stock basically.

My understanding of both is that the bedding block will not hold back accuracy vs. a traditionally bedded rifle as long as the action screws are torqued properly.

Okay guys, don't make fun since I'm still a super noob at this (aka, terrible at shooting groups still). I had 8 rounds left in the box so I decided to shoot a 5 and 3 round group. I pulled the first two of the 5 shot group (called) then settled down for the last three and the 3 shot group.

I think this rifle will shoot. .675 and .562 edge to edge, so .411 and .298 CTC.
20180616_162213.jpg

20180616_162226.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 10ring1