• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SBR Build

Exo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
El Mirage, Arizona
Opinions, Legalities, Procedures.

I have an AR-Pistol and I was thinking about modifying it into an SBR. I WANT TO BE LEGAL about this whole thing. I understand I need to do the whole form 4 thing and probably wait until the next decade to see that form back. However, would modifying an AR-Pistol by removing the pistol buffer tube, and adding a rifle buffer tube (that will accept a buttstock) be an acceptable way of starting an SBR build?

I will admit that I know next to nothing about SBR's (except the fact they look badass), so please school me!!!

Once you put a rifle buffer tube on a lower, it is a rifle lower; you can't undo. If it is setup as a pistol now, leave it that way until you get your stamp back. While you are waiting for it to come back, or before you even submit the papers, you will need to get the lower you are going to use for the SBR engraved with your name, city, state. You can use the pistol lower, just get it engraved, than don't have anything other than a pistol buffer tube on it until the stamp comes back, then switch it out for a rifle tube and stock. I'm in the process of a build as well and these are the steps as told to me by a local FFL.

sweet, so im in atleast the correct thinking. Now for the stupid questions...can a gunsmith (ive never been to one) do engraving? I would assume they probably could, but i dont know.

I knew about keeping it as is, until all parts of the equation were accounted for (forms, rifle tube, etc), but do I need to keep those parts separated, as in not in the same safe?

From what I understand, you can own the components to have an SBR (barrel less than 16"), such as having a rifle lower either on another rifle or by itself and a shorty upper in the same house/safe etc, as long as you own a pistol lower in the same house/safe and the pistol upper never is put onto the rifle lower. There is no way they could try a "constructive intend" crap charge against someone who legally owns pistol lowers and uppers and rifle lowers and uppers in the same house/safe, a lot of guys do.
As to the engraving, laser etching is supposed to be better than engraving on anodized aluminum, it is cleaner from what I hear. As long as its clearly legible and permanent, I don't see why anyone who is competent couldn't do it. If your local smith has the equipment to do it right, I'd be fine I would think. A lot of guys send their lower to identmarking.com from what I've read.

45 bucks aint a half bad price either!!! Thanks for that site, I dont have a gunsmith locally that I go to (have never needed to), so I think I would probably send it to that place.

Would you mind, giving a brief breakdown of what your SBR build is going to end up like? or what you have in mind?

45 bucks aint a half bad price either!!! Thanks for that site, I dont have a gunsmith locally that I go to (have never needed to), so I think I would probably send it to that place.

Would you mind, giving a brief breakdown of what your SBR build is going to end up like? or what you have in mind?

Sure thing, I'm using a Midwest industries upper, rock river chrome bolt, bcm charging handle, new frontier poly lower, pistol padded buffer tube, geissele g2s trigger.
The last part of my build is selecting the barrel and rail. I'm torn between a 10.5 and an 11.5. I'm mainly looking at Noveske and Daniel defense chf. I'm leaning towards 11.5 for added dwell time for a bit better gassing. I'm going to go for an aac sdn-6 30 cal can for versatility with a future 300 blk build.

nice! sounds sexy in all the right ways.

Pistol padded buffer tube? Are you going to put a rifle buttstock on it, or keep it as a pistol?

I'm going to use a different lower to engrave for the SBR. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use a MAG magnisium ultra light lower and swap the parts into it, I really like the magpul STR stock on my 16" recce rifle, probably will use that again for the sbr lower.

Exo-Sir, just to advise...I'm in the same boat-just sent in my SBR form 1 and accompanying paperwork on 23 April. Just checked my account today, and the check has been processed. I'm hoping this is a good sign for a speedy return. (I've heard wait times as long as 6 weeks to just process the check). I'll keep you posted on the times-After this one, it's on to a can for it!!

Give or take a week or two, the wait time for your form 1 will be six months from start to finish.

Get your SBR lower engraved by someone that knows what they are doing.

Had mine done by

identmarking.com

It is what they do-go to their site and read up on it.

Sit back and relax as it takes six months from when you send the paper in.

Try Leach Laser, used them three times, good work.
Welcome

Also, if you buy a pistol and SBR it you do a Form 1 not a Form 4

Semper Fi

Leach Laser did engraving for me $65.00 a pop
Welcome
Semper Fi

Thanks for all the info guys, seriously...my head was spinning on what to do. So its a form 1 not a form 4 ... got it. Identmarking.com is GTG ... got it.

How many are running optics? maybe the same optic setup as your standard 16" setup or ??? Thats what im planning on doing, just make it exactly the same (except smaller).

Any con's to this idea?

Leach Laser does engraving. Did three for me. Very satisfied. $65.00 a pop. Make sure what you put on the Form 1 is what is engraved on weapon.
Welcome
Semper Fi

Actually, I saw a post recently of a letter from the ATF that states, if you have a stripped lower built as a pistol, then converted to a rifle with the appropriate lenght barrel, you can later revert it back to a pistol and it would be legal. Would I recommend doing that? Probably not, that's a pain, I'd just wait the 6 months

Kaotic, my whole thought on this whole build is to just keep the weapon the way it is, and just add a buttstock. No changing barrels, etc

Which also brings me to my next question, accessories. I think we are all like a bunch of girls when it comes to functional non tacti-cool accessories on our rifles. Does someone make a quad rail for a pistol? can you use a carbine length rail and attach it? The idea of having an AR that will literally fit in a backpack, or under the seat of my SUV is really appealing!!!

You can literally get a rail in almost any length, weight, or configuration. I'm a fan of modular rails that are much lighter than traditional quad rails, you can add small rail sections to wherever you want to mount something. I'm pretty much decided on a Samson Evo 11" rail for my BCM 11.5 LW barrel. Its inside diameter is 1.56" and is supposed to accommodate a suppressor inside the rail. I'm going to run it with a Noveske KX3 Pig in pistoi form until the SBR and suppressor stamp come back. If you want a quad-rail there are some pretty light weight offerings out there from YHM, Daniel Defense, etc.

Ive never been a (in biking terms) "weight weenie". So weights dont really bother me. Now I have seen the more "modular" rails out there (smooth circular hand guard with screw inserts) and they look really cool. I especially like the magpul moe hand guard in terms of simplicity with nice ergo's. i looked at magpul's website, and their carbine length MOE hand guard. I think my barrel is a 7 or 7.5", and the overall length of MOE is 7.12in and utilizes the existing retaining cap and delta ring. I think thats where I will run into a problem with this particular one(MOE)?

edit: according to calguns the MOE would NOT work on a 7.5"
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=246815

Last edited:
I'm pretty much decided on a Samson Evo 11" rail for my BCM 11.5 LW barrel. Its inside diameter is 1.56" and is supposed to accommodate a suppressor inside the rail. I'm going to run it with a Noveske KX3 Pig....

That is essentially the same set up as the Rainiar CE-10 upper. Mine showed up this week and it is SWEET!! I really like the skeletonized rail from Samson. Only, 8 more weeks waiting on the SBR stamp. :rolleyes:

f51c935c56f1d070b9073efb7318c5a5.jpg

Attachments

• f51c935c56f1d070b9073efb7318c5a5.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 16
That is essentially the same set up as the Rainiar CE-10 upper. Mine showed up this week and it is SWEET!! I really like the skeletonized rail from Samson. Only, 8 more weeks waiting on the SBR stamp. :rolleyes:

WOW!!!! DONE...FUCKIT...IM SOLD (assuming they make a shorter rail????)

Please add this into the budget guys, WHAT do I need to get THAT rail added onto my upper??? im assuming a low-pro gas block, removal of retaining cap and delta ring with addition of __________ ???

WOW!!!! DONE...FUCKIT...IM SOLD (assuming they make a shorter rail????)

Please add this into the budget guys, WHAT do I need to get THAT rail added onto my upper??? im assuming a low-pro gas block, removal of retaining cap and delta ring with addition of __________ ???

That rail is an exclusive to Rainer Arms built by Samson, if you look on their page it will tell you what you need to install. Here's the link to their 7" rail, they also make a 9", 11", 12" and 15":

Rainier Arms™ | Browse | Rainier Arms | Rainier Arms Evolution Free Float System - 7.0