• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SBR overall length question

darkfader

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 26, 2020
    West Virginia
    Can you guys help me out here? I want to form1 my AR pistols. They both have braces on them now, one has the SBA3, and the other has the SBA4. Both are adjustable as I'm sure you're all aware. Once legally stamped SBR's, they will get adjustable carbine style stocks. How does one measure the OAL of the rifle/pistol when filing the form1? Fully extended, completely collapsed, end of buffer tube without the brace? Thanks for any help.

I believe that you measure with it collapsed but, it's been awhile since I've done one. Would be interested if someone can post up the legal jargon on it.

Can you guys help me out here? I want to form1 my AR pistols. They both have braces on them now, one has the SBA3, and the other has the SBA4. Both are adjustable as I'm sure you're all aware. Once legally stamped SBR's, they will get adjustable carbine style stocks. How does one measure the OAL of the rifle/pistol when filing the form1? Fully extended, completely collapsed, end of buffer tube without the brace? Thanks for any help.

Fully extended...if your muzzle brake is pinned include that in the length, if it's removable do not include it

I’ll jump on here with another related question if the OP doesn’t mind. I’m about to go down this path as well.

Question: How precise do the overall length and barrel length measurements need to be? Is plus/minus 1/8” ok? 1/4”?

Money

Possibly a stupid question, but....,,,,,,
    I recently filled out my first e-file for a Form 1 SBR. I put 10.5” for my barrel length as that is what I currently have. Will I be able to put a 12.50 upper or some other length on this lower in the future or am I stuck with 10.5?

Reactions: darkfader
    Possibly a stupid question, but....,,,,,,
    I recently filled out my first e-file for a Form 1 SBR. I put 10.5” for my barrel length as that is what I currently have. Will I be able to put a 12.50 upper or some other length on this lower in the future or am I stuck with 10.5?

From what I understand, if you make a change, you need to notify the ATF and eventually they contact you confirming your changes. I’m no lawyer though so better research to be sure. Keep some kind of proof you notified them, like an email or maybe a notarized letter. Again, this is just what I’ve read around the forums so I can’t really say for sure. If you try the ask the experts function on ATF webpage, you just get a response a week later with some FAQ’s. Pretty low end setup they have.

From what I understand, if you make a change, you need to notify the ATF and eventually they contact you confirming your changes. I’m no lawyer though so better research to be sure. Keep some kind of proof you notified them, like an email or maybe a notarized letter. Again, this is just what I’ve read around the forums so I can’t really say for sure. If you try the ask the experts function on ATF webpage, you just get a response a week later with some FAQ’s. Pretty low end setup they have.

Defenitly want to double check that i have always heard you only have to notify about a "permanent change"

I.e you can switch uppers to a 12.5 upper as long as you still have the 10.5 upper and can convert it back.

Edit: Also am not a 2a lawyer dont take my word as gold.