• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brace/Move upper to SBR question.

hollowoutadime

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
Honest question, no I am not a glowie.

If one has a brace pistol, say .300BLK and one also owns several legal SBRs, can one remove the pistol brace upper and put on an ordinary upper with a 16" bbl? The pistol upper with a 10" bbl would then only be used on an SBR lower. And since one already has a SBR upper, this would sit in the safe essentially as a spare. Any guidance on this?

Secondarily, if the above cannot be done and one already has several stamps is the efile form 1 (as individual) the preferred route? Yeah, I agree that it's bait and switch recalling what was legal. Is one in compliance by puttin g on a 16bbl. since the OAL is greater than 26"?

Converting your pistol to a rifle by installing a barrel >=16" is OK per the ATF.

I agree, converting to 16” makes it legal. And my understanding is that you can put whatever upper you want on an SBR lower as long as you retain the original configuration upper in you possession. If you were to take apart the original upper and modify it’s length or chambering, then I think you are supposed to notify ATF. For the record I don’t have one, but that’s what I remember from prior research into the subject.