• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scales and lights

RazrRebel

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2009
Going tho try to start putting together enough to reload. I see a lot about flourescent lights and electronic scales not working together. Just wondering if their is a recommended distance. My lights are on the ceiling that's is 8'. The scales will be on my bench which is waist high, I 'm 5' 9". I figure I can go with led 's on the actual bench but just trying to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if it is the actual light that does it, or having the scale and fluorescent light plugged into the same outlet. I know that fluorescent lights have a strobe effect, and I am not sure how it draws power. But if it may throw off the power source to the scale and possibly cause abnormal readings and/or loss of calibration.

My experience is that air currents from my home's HVAC system is a bigger influence on electronic scales than anything else. I routinely shut off the air vent in my reloading room when using my RCBS Chargemaster. I have a lamp with a fluorescent bulb right next to my Chargemaster and fluorescent bulbs directly overhead with no ill effects.

It's the electrical noise that the lights emit. I run my scale off a dedicated isolated ground receptacle. My under cabinet lights on the bench are led and my florescent over head lights I have had to run additional grounds on to suppress the noise. My scale has the plastic cover on it for the air currents. I found one thing that makes my scale go bat shit crazy is if I'm tig welding in the shop, so now I make sure my scale is off before that.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

It's as pointed out above electrical noise, from the lamps that produce this problem.
Not the bulbs, but low quality ballasts and transformers, some are worse then others, so it's the internals that can cause issues.
changing them to digital versions, will eliminate it.
Keep the scale and light on different circuit breakers,and use magnetic ferrite cores on the scales powercord, a few dollars a piece.
And you should have no issues.

Air currents and temperature changes will effect the scale too though.

Mijp5 all the lights driven on common, 120 v AC/ 60 hz grid as in the US.
Has a strobe effect of 60hz, it's just too fast for us to see it, except from fluorescent lights, just as with the European 50 Hz system.
So it has nothing to do with the issue.

And any welding, is best to avoid along with any sensitive electronics, welding is pretty much a electrical shortcircuit used to weld the steel these days.

Last edited: