HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Attention PX Shoppers Scammers are out there so be careful

I just spent the morning hunting scammers after a Pay Pal dispute hipped me to their accounts. I was getting a series of pay pal disputes from the real owners of the accounts so in reviewing the transactions we noticed a few pieces of information to pass on.

MOST IMPORTANT - Nothing Matches

Names, addresses, email names, accounts don't match. they are stealing credit cards and using the stolen accounts to sign up for Supporter accounts. The email address associated to the stolen information is not being used on here. So there is a big difference in User name. The most recent accounts just changed the email address adding a 1 to it.

Because this is a shell game, if you are approached by someone looking to buy or sell, could be either, and they want to you send Money or Products to different locations report them immediately. If you post a WTB ad and get an email about a friend with one, email them here, report the user.

1. Get details from each other
    2. Use your phone for real time images that can confirm validity
    3. Ask for working phone number or image with user name next to the item
    4. If you are mailing checks, confirm it's a real address and not a drop if they don't live there don't send it
    5. If it's too good to be true, if you feel lucky to have found a great deal, you are being scammed.

lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    I followed on a series of scams that were taking place, the scammers also purchased a Supporter upgrade using a stolen pay pal account so that gives them access.

In chasing the IP Links to the accounts, this was a gang of 5 members, some dormant, some active just making a few random posts, I was able to stop another scam before the first comment.

the scammers went to arms list, found an old (2016) ad for a delisted rifle and copied the entire ad here, typos and all. One of the things to do, thanks to stuff like a VPN was actually follow the accounts off SH.

The problem was, I had links, but no red flags. The system said they had a loose affiliation, but nothing was wrong. In fact 3 accounts were upgraded to Supporter. So what I did when I saw a Typo in the Ad, I copied it and pasted it into Google and it found the exact same ad on ArmsList

This is ME doing this, and I am not buying a thing. I just noticed in the Pay Pal complaint when they tried to refund the upgrade the association to other accounts. I could have refunded it, which I do a lot it's often easier. I could dispute it but when pay pal looks they will not see anything wrong. Guy upgraded, got banned wants his money back. Or just says, which twice now has happened, they are using stolen information getting an upgrade then the stolen card gets alerts and I lose twice.

So beware they are out there in teams working to defraud you...

cjs88

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    One of the things to do, thanks to stuff like a VPN was actually follow the accounts off SH.
    I am confused by this statement. Are you saying you used a VPN to follow their accounts? Or you were able to trace their original IP through the VPN? The latter would be impressive.

And thanks for looking out.

Reactions: Howland

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    Attention PX Shoppers Scammers are out there so be careful

I just spent the morning hunting scammers after a Pay Pal dispute hipped me to their accounts. I was getting a series of pay pal disputes from the real owners of the accounts so in reviewing the transactions we noticed a few pieces of information to pass on.

MOST IMPORTANT - Nothing Matches

Names, addresses, email names, accounts don't match. they are stealing credit cards and using the stolen accounts to sign up for Supporter accounts. The email address associated to the stolen information is not being used on here. So there is a big difference in User name. The most recent accounts just changed the email address adding a 1 to it.

Because this is a shell game, if you are approached by someone looking to buy or sell, could be either, and they want to you send Money or Products to different locations report them immediately. If you post a WTB ad and get an email about a friend with one, email them here, report the user.

1. Get details from each other
    2. Use your phone for real time images that can confirm validity
    3. Ask for working phone number or image with user name next to the item
    4. If you are mailing checks, confirm it's a real address and not a drop if they don't live there don't send it
    5. If it's too good to be true, if you feel lucky to have found a great deal, you are being scammed.
    Thanks!

lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    I am confused by this statement. Are you saying you used a VPN to follow their accounts? Or you were able to trace their original IP through the VPN? The latter would be impressive.

And thanks for looking out.

I did but not how you think, I took the search off SH using the information from SH and was able to piece together a trail

They went to armslist and copied an old ad, typos and images, because they used a VPN I was able to see the different hops, but never the origin beyond reading it was a VPN. However they still linked to the other accounts so while 1/2 of the VPN was just one person, the other 1/2 always had the same names pop up so I traced them too

With my IP Checks the site can group you all together so I can see groups of people on the same string.

Reactions: tydex21 and Rich4

FjallJager

Navally Retarded, I mean retired!
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    I have noticed the number of people with a $3500 optic, no feedback selling in the PX has gone up.

I am not really sure of how to proceed anymore.

I guess asking for a photo of the item with a copy of the person's drivers license and a the day's date is a step in the right direction, but not sure if it is good enough or not.

Reactions: Adam B

TxWelder35

Supporter
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 17, 2018
    DFW
    I have noticed the number of people with a $3500 optic, no feedback selling in the PX has gone up.

I guess asking for a photo of the item with a copy of the person's drivers license and a the day's date is a step in the right direction, but not sure if it is good enough or not.
    If I’m spending that kind of coin they better be someone that has been around a while and has lots of feedback otherwise I’m buying from a dealer. Not worth the risk on randos

FjallJager

Navally Retarded, I mean retired!
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    I am stealing the word "rando", not seen that one before.

I concur. I have yet to see something I would send someone $2500 on just because it is on the hide.

$100-300 I can live with that kind of prison rape. Beyond that I need it to come to a store.

cjs88

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    I have sold a scope on here to some one but I am weary spending 1k plus on anything. Just too much of a gamble.

34SF

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 10, 2010
    NV
    Scammer attempt: I have a WTB ad posted in optics. Today I received a PM from "Jaayrobin" referring me to his friend "dustinrichard1922 @gmail.com". Stupidly, I contacted dustin without checking the member list first. I received a response with eight images of the sight I'm looking for but the email contained the phrase "kindly email" which, for me, is an indicator of fraud. So, I did some background and none of the images had EXIF data indicating when and where they were taken, and the dustinrichard email address is known across the net as a scammer. "Jaarrobin" is also no longer a member of the Hide. What this tells me is that the orignator is gun savy enough to get the correct specs and, as Lowlight stated, these guys move quickly. Posting here so others can learn; please delete if it's in the wrong place.

Reactions: M8541Reaper

Baron23

Check 6
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    Scammer attempt: I have a WTB ad posted in optics. Today I received a PM from "Jaayrobin" referring me to his friend "dustinrichard1922 @gmail.com". Stupidly, I contacted dustin without checking the member list first. I received a response with eight images of the sight I'm looking for but the email contained the phrase "kindly email" which, for me, is an indicator of fraud. So, I did some background and none of the images had EXIF data indicating when and where they were taken, and the dustinrichard email address is known across the net as a scammer. "Jaarrobin" is also no longer a member of the Hide. What this tells me is that the orignator is gun savy enough to get the correct specs and, as Lowlight stated, these guys move quickly. Posting here so others can learn; please delete if it's in the wrong place.
    Did you hit the report button and report it?

Reactions: Howland

34SF

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 10, 2010
    NV
    There's nothing left to report. Jaayrobin deleted the PM and the email came to my home account. There's nothing here.

Reactions: Baron23

DamagedGuds

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 2, 2019
    GA
    How much do you think it would cut down if it was mandatory to post the item(s) with name and date on a piece of paper? Another form of identity.

Downtown

PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2013
    How much do you think it would cut down if it was mandatory to post the item(s) with name and date on a piece of paper? Another form of identity.
    It would eliminate scammers that couldn't use Photoshop well.

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon

Buying from someone with no feedback, is like late-night bar pick-up sex with no condom. If you're that dumb, you probably shouldn't be allowed to venture out unsupervised.

Rlandry

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 16, 2019
    tineye.com is a great image search engine. Copy the image or it's URL in the box and hit enter. It will find every site on the web where that image is posted.

Downtown

PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2013
    tineye.com is a great image search engine. Copy the image or it's URL in the box and hit enter. It will find every site on the web where that image is posted.
    I've found a few scammers just with Google Image Search. Most recently a s scammer here had posted pictures of a HK that were lifted straight from a old GunsAmerica ad. Moderators banned him quickly.