• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 16 Qs

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
Ok I've seen a few, I was kicking around buying an ACR but it seems to be the general opinion to hold out for the SCAR.
Thoughts on accuracy?
Is it worth the price?
anyone got some Pics

Re: SCAR 16 Qs

I thought it was worth it. I purchased a factory defect model, sold it for an ACR and immediately had sellers remorse and sold the ACR for the SCAR again.

I loved the SCAR so much that I forked out the dough for the 17s as well.

lighter than the ACR and I hated all the play in the acr barrel when it was locked in. I wanted ot like the ACR, but I just didnt...

SCAR's are nice, but many will say they are not worth the extra dough, if you have the money to waste, go for it, if not just drop the money on an AR

I cant say I was the greatest fan of the SCAR, I feel the buttstock is prone to breaking the clips that adjusts the cheek piece in particular. I liked the ability to fold the stock in tho, and the side charging handle. However I did not like the fact that the charging handle reciprocating. I could see it as a possible problem when against barriers / cover that could cause a stoppage in the firing process. Clean up was a breeze and accuracy was spot on hitting pop cans at 100 yds was not a problem.

Only handled the ACR and couldnt give you enough info about it... Last I heard tho was that the barrels were only available in 1/9 twist so that is something to consider depending on type of round you are expecting to shoot

I'm very happy with mine, I rarely shoot my AR now. Accuracy is great, with my ACOG TA31 unsupported I consistently shoot 3" groups at 100yds and Supported 1"-1.5" groups easy with M855 ammo. It takes half the time to clean compared to an AR. Is it worth the price? Well, if you have the money and you want something different then yes it is. If you just want a AR type rifle then get an AR and save a lot money. I am very happy with my purchase and would like 10 more just like it and one in .308!

SCAR 16's a fine platform, but I did not see why it commanded such a premium over high end ARs. I ended up selling mine. Although I regret it, I would still pick up a nice AR first, especially given that's what you're trained and familiar with.

JM2CW
smile.gif

the scarL does not offer anything a LMT MRP doesn't offer. it is overrated. i would NOT get a scarL. but to each their own, evidently when i say that i work for bushmaster...

I have a SCAR 16S. Don't like the trigger on it accuracy OK but no where as good as my Noveske Afghan. If I had it to do over I would buy another Noveske or an LMT instead of the SCAR.

Im sorry, Im thouroughly not tracking a comparison between a SCAR L and an MWS. There is no comparison here. It doesnt make any sense. They are entirely different roles....

LMT has a piston platform (MRP) that I suppose could be considered, but I see what you are saying about why the MWS was an odd thing to throw out here. Caliber is different, MRP is more of a comparison to SCAR-17 than what the OP is after.

I'm guessing the OP wants a 5.56 since he started out with the ACR question, so my suggestion is either a SCAR-16 or the HK 416. Also, the SIG 556 is becoming very common now.

SCAR feels to me with optic top heavy and uncomfortable when shouldering,Do not like the charge handle..Just dont like it.I have yet to use an ACR,But its High on the to do list..

It must be years of muscle memory with an AR?

I have handled both side by side....SCAR was better in every category I judge a combat weapon by....

I would use anything that doesn't have a reciprocating bolt handle over the SCAR. In fact I'd rather carry an AK.
Because of its exposed reciprocating bolt handle it is constantly being knocked out of battery and it gets caught on virtually anything and everything when firing from barricades or alternate positions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would use anything that doesn't have a reciprocating bolt handle over the SCAR. In fact I'd rather carry an AK.
Because of its exposed reciprocating bolt handle it is constantly being knocked out of battery and it gets caught on virtually anything and everything when firing from barricades or alternate positions. </div></div>

Is that because the AK doesn't have a reciprocating charging handle...? I dont know how soldiers and marines did it in WWII with the Garand and M1 carbine. I dont know how people even managed to use the M14 in vietnam. Those reciprocating charging handle weapons never won a war and are complete garbage...

I have been kicking around the idea of an ACR or SCAR as well. Fortunately for me, I just got a chance to shoot my buddy's Enhanced ACR. I can say for a fact I won't be buying a ACR anytime soon especially at that price.

His 16'' Enhanced ACR was heavier and more front heavy than my 18'' SPR barrled AR + Billet Upper/Lower + UBR (no means a lightweight AR). The recoil impulse was what really turned me off. I much prefer the smoother recoil of the AR over the ACR, which had a weird mechanical feeling to it, kind of hard to explain. Mind you this is my first time actually testing out a piston gun. Another thing was that the handguard was to short for my liking, but that is more of a configuration issue, the basic version with the longer smooth handguard is what I would prefer.

I should be able to try out a SCAR this friday as well, so I should be able to shoot all 3 rifles back to back.

Have both and there are three differences i have noticed is the scar has less felted recoil, stays cleaner, and 1 lbs diff. If your not worried about the above go with the ACR. One plus on the ACR is that you will have the ability to go with different calibers sooner or later. Or be like me and just get both and have fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bcw the MWS is NOT piston driven.</div></div>

HA! Sorry, I had MRP in my head for some reason. I will go back and correct the misnomer. Thanks for pointing that out, was a careless mistake on my part.

sorry i used the wrong acronym MRP is what i meant, EXCUSE me
wink.gif

the scar just does not impress me in either 5.56 or 7.62. not my thing.

You and me both Joe, lol. I knew what you meant too and still didn't manage to get it typed right either. Maybe I should quit posting after sleep deprivation, haha.

Hehe well the MRP makes a lot more sense. Here is what I can tell you among the rifles that I own.
SCAR16, very reliable, shoots well, I run it well in multigun
Colt6940,very reliable, shoots well, I run it better/faster than anything else I own!!!
LMTMWS, very reliable, shoots well, but I need oxygen and a red bull after running around a stage with it
laugh.gif
It CAN be done but its just a bit too heavy for the task IMO. In particuler I run into trouble wobbling trying to hold all that weight out front while shooting on the move. But they still hit the target, just not ideal.
SCAR17,very reliable, shoots well, and is very close in weight to my SCAR16/Colt6940. Significantly better in the run and gun dept.

I dont own an MRP but I suspect it would be the same diff as the MWS and 17 but this is just speculation on my part.
I dont own an ACR. After handling one I didnt care for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.J. McQuade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would use anything that doesn't have a reciprocating bolt handle over the SCAR. In fact I'd rather carry an AK.
Because of its exposed reciprocating bolt handle it is constantly being knocked out of battery and it gets caught on virtually anything and everything when firing from barricades or alternate positions. </div></div>

Is that because the AK doesn't have a reciprocating charging handle...? I dont know how soldiers and marines did it in WWII with the Garand and M1 carbine. I dont know how people even managed to use the M14 in vietnam. Those reciprocating charging handle weapons never won a war and are complete garbage... </div></div>

I stand corrected, it is true the AK, M1 and numerous other weapons have reciprocating charging handles, I should have stated the placement of the reciprocating charging handle makes it tough to shoot in and around barricades and from alternate positions. That has been my experience with the SCAR.

i need to get a MWS, i think it would be a nice addition to the safe. just can't justify it quite yet.

Update to my original post.

I got to shoot the SCAR 16, ACR, and my AR.

I still personally prefer my AR over the 2, since it was home built with handpicked components, so its not really fair, although price wise it is still a couple hundred dollars cheaper than either the SCAR or ACR, so maybe it is fair. Up to you to decide.

Now if I were to buy either the SCAR or ACR, the SCAR would be my pick, despite being slightly more expensive. It's lighter, better balanced and shoots smoother than the ACR.