• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scar 17 best battle rifle?

SCAR 17 with a barrel just a tad bigger in profile perhaps would be very nice.....

Best anything is always subjective, but in my opinion the Scar 17 is a pretty good battle rifle..Great design, light and suprisingly accurate..Ray

I hate threads like this with an OP that just signed up, but I will bite... The Scar 17, in my opinion, is the jack of all trades, master of none. Due to the pencil profile barrel and lack of consistency when warm and suppressed, I bought the Scar 13.5 inch barrel and SBR'd mine, and have much better results now. Still a 1 MOA gun, but it does hit torso size steel at 800 meters like its going out of style, and I was able to get 10/20 shots on at 1000 meters with some 178 gr hand loads. If I was only allowed one weapon with an unknown role, it would be the 13 inch Scar 17 as I feel it really can do anything... not as accurate or good at range as my 20 inch REPR, not as light and nimble as a Scar 16 10 inch or SBR AR15, but the combination of light recoil, light weight, and ability to reach out and touch someone if/when needed makes it the best "all in one" in my opinion.

Reactions: mdvctry
Have to agree with fenix, my wife has no problem shooting of hand with it

In my opinion, the 17 is the one to beat. That being said, the only thing I would get over the 17 would be this :

My buddy just picked one of those up... im interested to shoot it!

No shit ! Please post pics:)
​​​She is a hot Beyotch :)
​​​​​:)

Attachments

• photo51201.png
    photo51201.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 282
What the hell...I'm bored. Not in my opinion, if you're going to use the term "battle rifle" loosely. I'd take a well built/equipped AR platform SPR in .223 any day of the week. Battle involves putting holes in bad guys and in that light the SCAR is kind of a rookie. Maybe a very good one but a rookie none the less.

What the hell...I'm bored. Not in my opinion, if you're going to use the term "battle rifle" loosely. I'd take a well built/equipped AR platform SPR in .223 any day of the week. Battle involves putting holes in bad guys and in that light the SCAR is kind of a rookie. Maybe a very good one but a rookie none the less.

SCARs have been putting holes in bad guys for at least 8 years. If I needed anything more than a 10.5" MK18 in 5.56 I would step up to the 13" SCAR MK17. I dont think anyone has even shot our SPRs in forever, much less carried them.

Rick

Not even close, and frankly I'm shocked at how many people fall for the SCAR nonsense. Any competently build AR10 wil be lighter, more accurate, more versatile in terms of aftermarket and calibers, FAR more accurate, and just as reliable. Shit even some facts AR10 style rifles make the scar look silly like JP.

The best "battle rifle on the planet" is the one that YOU have thoroughly mastered, know how to use it in all types of scenarios and can consistently deliver shots in center mass at various ranges, in various lighting conditions, etc.

Maybe that is the SCAR 17 for you.

Not even close, and frankly I'm shocked at how many people fall for the SCAR nonsense. Any competently build AR10 wil be lighter, more accurate, more versatile in terms of aftermarket and calibers, FAR more accurate, and just as reliable. Shit even some facts AR10 style rifles make the scar look silly like JP.

Lighter? Ill have what you are smoking please.

Jp, POF, Savage, DPMS, Mega, ARP, and others all make AR10s lighter from the factory, to say nothing of building where it is easy to hit sub 7lbs. How about you crawl out from under your rock, then I can share what I'm smoking (it's good, like the AR10).

I loved my scars but it always chapped my butt when I spent that much money of a high end rifle and then they stick a crap mil-spec trigger. For that kind of cash, come on, drop in a decent trigger!!!!

Best battle rifle would most likely be the M1 Garand just by the mere fact that it one a war. With that I do like my two SCARS.

I'll bite. IMO I think it is the best, it's battle proven, rugged, pretty soft shooting for a .308 and aftermarket is pretty good for it. Yea sure there's customs, and other factory designs that are also very very nice, but I think the adaptability and overall reliability make it the best.

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

The m1 Garand won a war a long time ago and is a cool rifle but the 30-06 is an inefficient caliber and was lost with the times. The scar is loved by marsoc for a reason.

The scar has just been a great shooting rifle and love the function and feel of it. I have by no means shot an hk417 or repr. I know ar10 can now cut enough weight to be under scars weight. But for it to be a piston gun and weight,shoot and perform the way it's does is very impressive. I've never stretched the guns legs out to see how it holds up at distance. Therefore I can't comment on that. But the rifle has made quite a name for itself and is my favorite gun in the safe. I never said I would sell my scar 16 but ended up selling to a buddy to put money back and bought a cz bren. The scar feels like a much better shooter than that. I will never sell the 17.

I really really like ( should ) to get one SCAR 17S :rolleyes:

Over rated. Have to spend money to make it take common mags. More to make the trigger better. Beats optics up.
JP/KAC/older POF all better/more accurate.

^ very well put. .

I'm a longtime FN fan, who owned about a dozen including a 17S, 16S, A5M, and an assortment of handguns.

Key word there is "owned" -- Last year I sold my A5M and upgraded to an MRAD and it's one of the best decisions I've made in a lifetime of shooting.

Yesterday I sold my 17S and replaced it with a Seekins SP10 in 6.5CM and will be adding a 308 upper to the mix at some point, even if I have to buy a full SP10-308 to get it.

I think the precision AR10 platform offers better value for the money and clearly better flexibility. Street price on the SP10-16" is about a full grand less than the street price of the SCAR 17S right now and that's tough to beat.

Anecdotally, the initial results from putting a 6.5CM barrel in the 17S are underwhelming -- battle rifle accuracy sure, but doesn't seem like it can provide the kind of precision the readers of this site are looking for.

There are two that I have used and would trust in combat. I have some time on the MK17 in Afghanistan and I own a KAC SR25 ACC. They are the two most tested/used/developed 7.62 platforms available. I went with the ACC because it does precision better and I like a longer rail than the SCAR H has standard. I wouldn't trust any of the others without a lot of time and rounds down range.

Last edited:
Seems to be a pretty good battle rifle. I can say with absolute confidence that it is an moa rifle with match ammo (at least mine is). I've shoot more than a few 3/4 inch 5 round groups using a bipod and rear rest. More than acceptable accuracy as a battle rifle, and dmr rifle. The system is lightweight (compared to the lmt 308 or repr), the bolt is smooth, but most importantly, in the thousands of rounds i've put through it, it's never had any feeding issues (pmc gold, zqi, smk). I've had many range days with hundreds of rounds downrange, and it's always functioned flawlessly.

Also, the guys at battle vegas who put millions of rounds downrange, claim their scar 16 has outlasted every other rifle, with the least amount of maintenance. They've put hundreds of thousands of rounds through one, and they've only had to replace minor parts. Now I know the 17 shooting 308 won't yield the same results, but that shows something about the durability of the overall system.

The most annoying part about the rifle, is the more you shoot it, the more you realize the value of adding aftermarket parts. You'll start with the trigger, then you'll want a longer handguard, the buttstocks is not great, the a1 pistol grip is not my favorite, the muzzle brake is loud and annoying, the lower takes proprietary mags.

When it's all said and done you could end up spending close to $2k, and at that point you could buy an hk 716. Don't know much about the HK, but i hear they're pretty good.

I hate threads like this with an OP that just signed up, but I will bite... The Scar 17, in my opinion, is the jack of all trades, master of none. Due to the pencil profile barrel and lack of consistency when warm and suppressed, I bought the Scar 13.5 inch barrel and SBR'd mine, and have much better results now. Still a 1 MOA gun, but it does hit torso size steel at 800 meters like its going out of style, and I was able to get 10/20 shots on at 1000 meters with some 178 gr hand loads. If I was only allowed one weapon with an unknown role, it would be the 13 inch Scar 17 as I feel it really can do anything... not as accurate or good at range as my 20 inch REPR, not as light and nimble as a Scar 16 10 inch or SBR AR15, but the combination of light recoil, light weight, and ability to reach out and touch someone if/when needed makes it the best "all in one" in my opinion.

Very well said sir!

Good grief, no, the FN SCAR 17 is not the "best battle" rifle....

Get a clue and a grip people.

Good grief, no, the FN SCAR 17 is not the "best battle" rifle....

Get a clue and a grip people.

You know it probably is the best battle rifle. Not the best precision rifle, but reliable as an AK or FAL with a lot more accuracy and ease of mounting optics/Accesories.

Biggsst downside is being hard on optics/clip ons.

I shot one standing with a suppressor and S&B 1-8 @ 200 10"x10" target, I was pretty impressed. If I did't have a M&P 10 and a Century C308 already I'd buy a Scar 17.

It's a great battle rifle. I had the Elcan on it but preferred the Acog instead. Now I'm looking to get a variable scope for it so I'm shooting with irons. Love the weight and the accuracy.

Repr much better option in which way?

I've never shot one, but people seem to sell them at heavy discounts.
Really its just my personal opinion. Looked at the cost and availability of aftermarket parts and the repr seamed like a better option to me. It came with a 2 stage geissele trigger and takes pmags which is nice. I know some of the older reprs had a few issues so maybe thats why people were selling them cheap. The one i have is a "gen 2" its been a great gun with zero problems

Yes, it's a very good battle rifle, and like others have said, I would like it in 13" with a 3x ACOG. My brother bought the Stryker lower for his SCAR 17 to use pmags. Having said that, I'd prolly rather build an AR-10 SBR, which is what I will do to my Christensen Arms 308, as I have a stamp to do it. Lighter, and way easier to get parts for the AR-10 than the SCAR.

Scott

M4A1 and yes I mean it.

If I had to only pick one out of my safe to take with me, that would be the one.

It doesn't meet the definition of "Battle rifle" but its the reality of what Id take all fantasy imaginings aside.

Last edited:
I float between my MK18, My 14.5, and my MK12 in thinking of what would go with me to the end of it all if that ever happens. It might be the MK12 around here - lots of opportunity for the longer shots.

Hell, this place is damn near Afghanistan when you get out there a bit into the mountains. Most of the people here are from Kalifornia, so maybe the people from Afghanistan are better folks generally speaking.

If I had to only pick one out of my safe to take with me, that would be the one.

It doesn't meet the definition of "Battle rifle" but its the reality of what Id take all fantasy imaginings aside.

Reactions: thedude824
I enjoyed my time with the 16 & 17 that I owned, but for my own personal tastes they never really fit. My main complaint is that they're just a bit heavy/chunky/blocky for what they are. We're truly living in a Golden Age of AR's and the current market is tough to beat.

You can build an AR in virtually any SA/Micro caliber, all being well below the 6-7lb mark and more accurate than the SCAR16/17. Reliability is probably the one area where the SCAR has an advantage, but a $3k AR won't be too far behind.

I'll great you a great deal on used Scar 17 rifles , never been fired and only dropped once ......