• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scar 17 help

bulldog911

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2013
mt
Got a scar 17 and giving me complete hell. FN customer service was a joke. Tried to get help and needed to ship it and have them go over it but no luck. Anyways what's going on is its completely inaccurate...I've owned 4 or 5 differnt scars with same mods and not once had an issue. It has kdg extended handguard, timney trigger, sig tango 6 optic, adm mount. Out of the box it was perfect. Then went down hill. 50 yards it will shoot 4inch moa...100 yards I'd be lucky to be with in 4 feet. That's no joke...
I've torqued the barrel tension screws (4) with the kdg rail. Clean barrel, cleaned everything internally, shot with iron sights (same issue), tried my ATACR and ACOG on it(same issue), nothing looks damaged or out of spec, shot with my 9"can and without(same issue), tried different ammo. Any advice or anything? fn said they would only accept it if it was in original factory form with no mods added to it. All the stock parts are trashed had no use for them. I dont want to sell it to someone so they have the same.issues and karma bites me in the ass on another rifle. Seriously I'm ready to burn the fucking thing in the fire. Please help lol
I'm going bald-er....
Thanks

Take the barrel off and remount. That’s where I’d start. Other than that send it in I guess.

Ya did that about 5 times. Havent shot it without handguard off. Maybe I'll try shooting with just barrel on and 4 tension screws holding it in place and see if that does anything? Onlything I'm wondering if the barrel is out of whack? Or handguard is contacting barrel(no marks), or shit idk

My 2 cents...send it to a competent gunsmith. For the amount of money invested I’d want it solved right. Maybe you’ll get better suggestions from others.

Do you have access to a smith check the rifling? Perhaps with a visual scope.

I'm a certified smith and a 07 dealer.
Still cant rack my brain around this, hence the post in frustration. Barrel looks good no noticable issues :(

You said it was perfect out of the box? Did you add a brake in order to mount your suppressor? The SCAR does not have a shoulder to easily mount a suppressor or brakes. I had a SCAR 17 that I had set up to shoot suppressed and it seemed like I mounted the brake fine. I couldn’t tell, but the brake was not concentric to the bore and I was experiencing baffle strikes; however, they must have been extremely faint because I could not see any obvious copper or anything. A smith in town was finally able to remedy the issue after several attempts. I could not zero the rifle prior.
Maybe something to look at?

Reactions: Defuzer
You said it was perfect out of the box? Did you add a brake in order to mount your suppressor? The SCAR does not have a shoulder to easily mount a suppressor or brakes. I had a SCAR 17 that I had set up to shoot suppressed and it seemed like I mounted the brake fine. I couldn’t tell, but the brake was not concentric to the bore and I was experiencing baffle strikes; however, they must have been extremely faint because I could not see any obvious copper or anything. A smith in town was finally able to remedy the issue after several attempts. I could not zero the rifle prior.
Maybe something to look at?

I had this issue on my 16. The 17 was ok but certainly could be it. Enough people had this issue that Surefire was including a Scar specific shim at one time for the undersized shouder on the Scar. Not sure if they still do. Be worth getting your hands on one though.

I agree with above. I had to special request the shim from surefire for my 17. And not alot of the cs at SF knew what I needed. I may still have mine, I'll snap a pic of it for your reference if you want.

I would pay special attention to what it assume would be the brake you installed, from alignment to torque applied, etc.

Good luck, always save those stock parts.

So the can I have is a 9inch thunder beast. Direct thread. So spin on and off. No break. I thought possibly my can was a an issue and decided to shoot with nothing on. Same deal.

I’ll throw my two cents in as well; SCAR 17S owner (I also short barreled mine). First, and certainly not least important I would like to make a shout out to any SCAR owners current and future. DO NOT EVER THROW OUT THE OEM PARTS! If you swap out a F*%$ing sling swivel FN will not touch it! Second, they have a Hell of a nerve referring to what they offer as “Customer Service” when they consider their ‘customers” at best an inconvenience. Side note; they are the largest supplier of small arms to the US Military and do a superlative job with our men and women in uniform, Civilian and LE market? You’re like gum on the bottom of their shoe, forget it. Okay now that that’s out of the way.

There’s been some good suggestions but to me the easiest place to start would be to simply swap out the barrel. Do you have friend, buddy, acquaintance, someone at the range you belong that has a SCAR 17? Barrel swaps are easy on SCAR’s and it would quickly isolate the problem. Swap the barrel and if it shoots straight then you at least know where to start looking. Could be an issue with the brake install, over torqueing can actually deform the end of the barrel; someone also mentioned concentricity which is another possibility. Try the barrel swap if that’s feasible it will at least give you some additional information to work with.

Op if you want to borrow my factory parts, send me your address and pay for my shipping, and i'll get them out. Just make sure to send them back to me when you're done.

Did you double check that you installed the kdg rail properly? That might be worth checking out. If a screw is missing, the barrel will move.

Reactions: Frog05
have you checked the scope?

Scars are notorious for killing scopes

Agree with the one thing at a time approach. If you can't swap the barrel then start eliminating whatever else you can, e.g., have you tried shooting it with no muzzle device attached? Trying a different scope may tell you some things as well but only change one thing at a time. Other than that I would seek out a competent Gunsmith, you might try reaching out to Handl Defense (handldefense.com) those guys know the platform inside and out. The other place you could try is Midwest Gun Works (midwestgunworks.com) . Best of luck!

He said he tried 3 different optics, suppressor and bare muzzle. I'd be concerned it is the rail. If the rifling in the barrel looks great and your sure its intact, and its clean I'd move on. Your problem sounds like something is loose.

He said he tried 3 different optics, suppressor and bare muzzle. I'd be concerned it is the rail. If the rifling in the barrel looks great and your sure its intact, and its clean I'd move on. Your problem sounds like something is loose.

You are correct (as I get older I'm losing my "reading with comprehension" skills); so you're thinking that the rail is moving/shifting on recoil throwing his zero off? That's a good suggestion I think.

If it shot well out of the box likely not the barrel rifling/concentricity either. Scope is ruled out. Brake/suppressor is ruled out. Sound like barrel mount has been examined but I probably wouldnt totally discount it until you try another. Handguard could be it. Maybe slop between the upper and lower?

So was looking at the upper and lower last night. Theres a slight gap between the 2. Dont think it would be enough to throw it off tho? And just took it apart again and neve noticed this groove on the bolt head. Not sure if its supposed to have a large indent or not. If anyone has a scar 17 do you mind looking to see if yours does also?

Attachments

• 20180814_080736.jpg
    20180814_080736.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 20180814_080847.jpg
    20180814_080847.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20180814_080804.jpg
    20180814_080804.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 82
The relief cut in the bolt is normal. Maybe try a shim between the upper and lower and see if it tightens up?

the upper receiver TO optic mount TO barrel mount should be one 100% tight piece and lower slop shouldn't cause an decrease in actual accuracy maybe increase the difficulty to shoot accurately. That slop your referring to was probably also
KDG-MREX-Outdoor_188SMALL.jpg
there was the gun was factory and you had no problems. I would look for barrel flex in this type of setting and see what happens. However it still shouldn't be affecting your precision only changing your zero.

Holy balls....well....think I figured out the issue.
Stripped the rifle and everything looked good. Minus the grippod which was attached via mlock attachment, the screw was making contact with the barrel. Took it off and now holds 2 moa at 100yrds. Still not great but moving on the right path..

I have seen that same exact issue with so many Ar's in general to count. Glad you're getting it.

FWIW I had a scar setup exactly like yours and it was a +-1.5moa carbine w/ match ammo. . (SSA-E + KDG rail)

Taking the most reliable battle rifle on the planet and fucking it up, now thats an accomplishment.

Primus you are just an incredible douche. You come off as if you were mf’in Aaron Bank and Eugene Stoner combined, and it’s clear you aren’t. Someone needed help but that’s all you could give, pretty sad.

I don’t own a SCAR17 and can’t remember ever shooting one, but I could not stop following this thread, it was like a mystery novel. I really thought it was great at all the help everyone wanted to give. I’m just glad you found out what happen.

Yes, the mlok screws will hit the barrel.

That's why I took a Dremel tool it. I've have ARs that had the same issue. It's not just a scar/mrex issue