• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 17 optic opinion

ricky110882

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2012
virginia beach, va
hey all. im new to the forum. i have had my scar 17 for a while now. and it took me forever to decide on an optic. i went back and forth between several and finally decided on the US Optics 1.5-6 DFP with the EREK dial and FDE cerakote. i wanted something magnified but that i could still shoot and move so i am also thinking about surefire 45* irons. It is a beautiful optic and wasnt cheap. but now that i mounted it, i think im having second thoughts. maybe i should have went with the elcan 1-4. the worst part of all this is i just had shoulder surgery and wont be able to shoot it for about 6 months : ( so i have all day to stare at it and nit-pic. just looking for some opinions and what you guys think about how they look together. thanks

Attachments

• Untitleder.jpg
    Untitleder.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Untitled876.jpg
    Untitled876.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Untitled356.jpg
    Untitled356.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Untitled56.jpg
    Untitled56.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 24
That's a good looking setup. I've got an Elcan. They are extremely rugged and have very clean glass. The Elcans fit nicely on the SCAR platforms.

I'm a huge fan of variable optics on carbines. Nothing as nice as that but I've got a Leupold VX-R on my Scar 16s and a Burris XTR 1-4 on my LWRC. They just work well, you add a little bulk conspired to a red dot but make up for it in accuracy.

I'm running an ACOG TA11 that came with my SCAR but I want a variable optic that has the capability to shoot fast. I'm interested in the Elcan 1.5-6 7.62 but haven't been able to talk to anyone who has told me what kind of accuracy they get with the Elcan at distance. Say 200-400 yards. I want to hunt with my SCAR and the ACOG won't cut it. I used to have a MK5 on a REPR and while accuracy was good at distance it was too slow. Looked at a VX6 CWRW and hated the reticle. Still struggling to find the ticket formy SCAR.

Your setrup sure looks great. Hope your shoulder heals fast!

I am an acog TA01 fan. I like the cross hair and find that I am only slightly slower with it than a reddot. Practice would make the difference, but I do have a spot for acogs...

Like a lot of folks I'm trying to find a "do it all" optic. I'm not even close. I really disliked the Leupold Mark 6 I saw with the CMR reticle. And before I kick out the $ for something like a NF or S&B I'd want to see it in person. The only scopes around here are Leupolds.

It doesn't matter too much on how it looks, although I understand that is important, but it matters more how effectively you can work the weapon system. If you don't like the reticle I can understand that, but if you put an awful looking optic on it and you were extremely effective than by all means leave it ugly. This optic looks good so if you like the reticle then leave it alone.

What you have looks good to me, I never find something that truly "does it all". If I am bench shooting with something I grab the Premier 3-15 or the NF 5.5-22, but when I am shooting everything else, I find myself using the Vortex 1-4x or a Vortex Dot. They work just fine. The big scopes add to your rifles weight, and honestly, the dot scopes, whatever your choice, EoTech, Aimpoint, Vortex or whatever always end up doing almost everything I want. When I am shooting steel 400 and less they do a fantastic job.

I think the scope you have is a really good one, I would own it. If you find the mount ugly you can get something else. But at least you didn't put a BSA on it, saw that the other day in Scottsdale, made me want to punch myself in the balls.

I run a USO 1-6 on my 17 & an Elcan 1-4 on my 16. I'm happy w/ both setups.

I run basically the same setup on my 17 and I love it. I'm always looking for lighter options though because I intend on using it on an Elk this fall.
BTW, I have been in your shoes with shoulder surgery. If you rehab it right you'll be back shooting in 3 months but don't push it. Now is a good time to brush up on shooting your sidearm with one arm and doing one arm reloads. Goodluck !

I want to use mine for elk as well. The ACOG won't cut it. Shooting my SCAR with irons to make sure some of the awful groups I'm getting past 150 yds are from the ACOG or the rifle. Going to use a lead sled and shoot it at 200. If it groups OK I'm definately getting a scope. Looking hard at NF 2.5-10

which do you like better on the scar? i havent shot my uso 1-6 yet but playing with it on the rifle i think i will like it. i use an elcan 5.56 at work and i love it. i was concerned about the eye relief of the elcan on the scar. they weigh about the same (heavy) and cost the same (2k+-) the uso has more zoom but the elcan zooms faster

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the issue SOCOM has been having with the 7.62 SCAR. Apparently, there is a harmonic dissipation phenomenon that trashes optics with the SCAR-H.

With that in mind, I think NF and USO are the best candidates for holding up to the unique abuse that the SCAR-H dishes out on optics. Some upgrades were made to at least two optics systems that are common in SOCOM to compensate for this, so I'm still waiting to see what the long-term verdict is.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the issue SOCOM has been having with the 7.62 SCAR. Apparently, there is a harmonic dissipation phenomenon that trashes optics with the SCAR-H.

With that in mind, I think NF and USO are the best candidates for holding up to the unique abuse that the SCAR-H dishes out on optics. Some upgrades were made to at least two optics systems that are common in SOCOM to compensate for this, so I'm still waiting to see what the long-term verdict is.

Do you have a reference for this claim?

Do you have a reference for this claim?

Multiple independent sources within SF and others who are using them in high-volume in a professional capacity. I have heard it from 2 different guys in the past week, both with backgrounds slinging lead for uncle sugar outside the conventional side. I have zero experience with the SCAR-H other than handling them, so I can only report what I've heard, but the sources are such that I would have no problem taking it to the bank.

One of them avoids the SCAR-H for this reason, while the other is going to see how the new USO 1-8 will work out on his. I'll get some trigger time with the SCAR-H in 2 weeks during the DM Course we're running. I love the light weight of the system, and the elongated cam pin slot on the bolt carrier, and literally just heard about the optics destroying feature of the SCAR-H this past week.

I haven't heard this from any MIL sources but the issue is all over the FN forums and there are a ton of SCAR owners there. From my own experience I had an ACOG loose zero on multiple occasions. Friend who bought it put it on another platform and has no issues.

The recoil from my 17 suppressed is a beach. It's like a holding an electric eel. IMHO, I believe the claims about the 17 abusing optics...
I run the same setup as you, and they'll have to take it from my cold hands...

Last edited:
Interesting. I havent had any problems with me SCAR17 or my NF NXS mounted on it. Hopefully they publish a report on these findings.

The Mk17 recoils like any other rifle with the same mass and cartridge. I use one with the issued optic(s). Great rifle, lackluster issued glass.
For the OP, run what you have. I've been thinking about buying what you have to replace what I'm running. Elcan's suck. The user will introduce some serious POA/POI flaws when moving from 1.5 to 6x. Not moving the lever exactly the same as you always do will result in a POI shift. The exposed elevation mechanism will come unlocked and move on it's own. You've got the better setup.

I have an IOR 2.5-10x on my 17 and I'm perfectly happy with it. I think you can certainly take advantage of the higher magnification on your USO vs a 1-4x. Setup looks great.

Looks good the way it is. Have you ever thought about shortening the barrel. My friend has a SCAR with a cut barrel and the rifle looks amazing. What a difference!

Last edited:
i have thought about chopping the barrel. im 99% sure im gonna put on the SF brake (long). it will shorten the barrel an inch or so without chopping the barrel because the current brake is over 2 inches, almost 3 from the bore. chopping the barrel is another hard choice, like the optic, that is debatable. i agree the barrel looks loooooong and needs to be shorter but im not sure if i want to 14.5 with pinned brake, sbr or just leave it with the SF brake. if i had a red dot optic i would chop it for sure but now that i have a med range capability i dont want to loose that by chopping too much off.

Your gas system length is going to limit velocity more than anything, and since the SCARs have carbine-length gas systems meant for short barrels, I wonder what real loss there will be with the 16" going to 14.5". Has anyone chrono'd a 14.5" SCAR-H versus a 16"?

I also have a SCAR 17 and am looking for optics. I think I have settled on the Vortex Razor HDII 1-6. But I have this Aimpoint I am not doing anything with at the moment, which obviously would save me a ton of money. Decisions, decisions.

I posted this reply in another thread on this topic but it applies here as well.

I have to agree with LRRPF52, it's not a great optic for what it is designed to do, there are far better options out there. I base my statements on having actually tested this optic and all the variations of the SCAR light and heavy before they were fielded to certain units. When I say I tested them, I do not mean me by myself but as part of an evaluation program. This testing included firing the weapon(s) with this optic on it in all of it's possible configurations, both heavy and light models. I also personally flew them attached to my body in a wind tunnel and eventually jumped with them out of an airplane from 12.5K feet and then immediately fired the weapons afterwards to see how well they held their zero. Suffice it to say, I think I have used this optic considerably in depth and beyond what most reading this thread would ever subject the optic to if they bought one of their own.

With all of that said, the optic is as LRRPF52 stated, it's a heavy piece of kit that has issues, not just one but all of them that were on other weapons. It was hit and miss as to which ones had what type of issue but come the end of the months of evaluation I was less than impressed with it and sure as hell didn't run it as my optic when overseas. As was stated, some guys run it because it is issued, most thought it was cool at first but eventually swapped it out. Thats not to say they were all crap, some worked for guys no problem and some guys like them. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on buying one; I wouldn't use it if it was given to me for free, I recommend you don't spend your money on one. This is all based on my personal experience, YMMV.

blurDSC08068.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the in depth reply. im growing more and more happy with my USO, but im still waiting to shoot it. interesting way to fly your ruck and rifle. im sure like everything else there are a million ways to skin a cat. we fly our ruck in the front and rifle on the side.

thanks for the in depth reply. im growing more and more happy with my USO, but im still waiting to shoot it. interesting way to fly your ruck and rifle. im sure like everything else there are a million ways to skin a cat. we fly our ruck in the front and rifle on the side.

Rear ruck and weapon down the center has been around forever, depending on where you are at. Center mount weapons harness is something I was involved with developing that is also pretty popular now a days.

+1 to what PZ3 and Pshell said in regards to the Elcan. We have used them for several years and their failure rate is too high in my opinion.

Common failure modes are:
Tree part of the reticule rarely illuminates
Dot in reticule is fairly reliable but breaks sometimes and sometimes you have to jiggle the knob to get the light to stay on
Elevation mechanism for tube often gets stuck, fails to adjust impact, or falls apart
Today I saw my first windage adjustment failure as a teammates sight would not move left or right with substantial force applied and I didn't want to break his Gerber screwdriver blade

I have used these sights with success but that is after I check to see if at least the dot illuminates, mount it on my weapon, and see if I can zero it. Once I get one that works and zeroes I haven't had one break but I have several that aren't worth mounting laying around.

Get something other than the Elcan is the bottom line.

Interesting. I havent had any problems with me SCAR17 or my NF NXS mounted on it. Hopefully they publish a report on these findings.

I highly doubt you'll have a problem with a NF of any model on your 17 - NF are really tough/durable scopes. Running a Leupold MK 8 on my 17 still doing fine after a few thousand rounds. Suppressed and unsuppressed.

Your gas system length is going to limit velocity more than anything, and since the SCARs have carbine-length gas systems meant for short barrels, I wonder what real loss there will be with the 16" going to 14.5". Has anyone chrono'd a 14.5" SCAR-H versus a 16"?

Most people who chop that I've heard from are running 12.5-13" barrels. But I haven't seen any chrony numbers from them.

Regular guy here, just shooting my SCAR 17S for two years. Started with an Aimpoint and irons until I decided on an optic.

Since adding an optic I've noticed only one optics related issue that I've never encountered on any other rifle before. Using a NF 2.5-10 on a LaRue mount I encountered a rotation of the scope in the mount when torqued to specifications. After about 50 rounds the reticle was beginning to cant even though the torque remained correct.

Switched to an ADM AD-DELTA mount (very solid mount) torqued to 22 In. Pounds the scope stayed in place for about 150 rounds then began to creep again. This time the torque was off even with locktite. Did the screws stretch or back out? Was this user error or odd rifle harmonics? I've never had this problem before. In any case, I remounted and have been shooting a bit, so far no more creep.

I've had no problems with the two SCAR 16S rifles I own (they are really sweet shooting machines BTW), only the 17.

I'm currently watching what happens with the Trijicon VCOG, it may be my next SCAR 17 scope.

Last edited: