• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 17s

lwrkeysfisher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
Gloucester, VA
I couldn't help myself and picked up a SCAR 17s in black today. My dealer got five and sold them all in a few hours. I got# 4, fittingly with serial# ending in 0104... Hopefully the wife will let me keep her, since I've already spent $6k on guns this week it's questionable..

Holding it and the SCAR 16s, I could not feel much difference in weight or handling... I am very impressed, just wish it came in a case vs. a cardboard box.

I'll post up some photos later.

Re: SCAR 17s

Welcome to the hide and get use to the phrase "This thread is worthless without pics"
wink.gif

I'm an old (read prior enlisted) Junior officer. That's why they make credit cards, Don't worry the wifes going to make something go... Hopefully not me. It's kinda like collecting stray dogs...

Nice gun. I have a 16s and love it. Prob will get a 17s at some point.

Thanks for posting pictures.

One tip though is to not change the subject when you post a reply because it actually changes the title of the thread topic. For those who get email notifications of threads see it and might delete it if it's not a thread title they're expecting. Just a heads up.

nice. I hope FN screwed a few of these up as well on the finish were I can afford one.

27ish meaning 2700ish? That is not a bad price really. The 16s were going for like 4-5k when they first started showing up. 2700 should be close to msrp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: streetbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you selling this....I just saw your ad on GB.</div></div> Looks to be so.....

Looks like he's selling this same gun on Gunbroker. He must be whipped 'cause his wife is obviously making him sell it!

They take a mag that only fits the scar17. FN took forever to make available mags for the FNAR. They are pricey. Lets hope MagPul starts to make them. FN should have made them feed from an SR-25 paterned mag. Just my .02. The rifle is great, shot the pre-production, love the slower full auto. We all held the A&B zone at 35 yards on Full Auto. JPG

Hard to speculate if it would be worth the set up for magpul to make a magazine. Also consider Magpul is the originator of the SCAR's direct competition the Masada AKA the ACR.

Dosnt make much sense but if the demand were high enough anything is possible.

Anchor Zero Six, I hear ya. I'm just a little gun shy on the mag issue. I am SOOOO glad Magpul is there for me with my REPR. I'd be hot if I had to pay 90-120.00 for KAC mags. Lucky the army picked the M-110. Unlikely they will be lowering the price on the KAC mags. JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ifishaholic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like he's selling this same gun on Gunbroker. He must be whipped 'cause his wife is obviously making him sell it! </div></div>

Whoo-PA!
grin.gif

Yeah the old lady didn't think it was an acceptable impulse buy, apparently she thinks an impulse buy is like a bottle of soda or a magazine at the check out stand... Oh, well I'll get one eventually. I knew she was going to make me get rid of something, I just figured I would be able to sell one of my handguns or an AR or two... She didn't go for it.

I just bought that STR rifle and a few other things, and I still need optics for that rifle. So, once I sell this I'll be able to get what I want for optics without too much fussing from her.

It'll be fun to watch the auction as well, you never know what things will sell for these days. And if it doesn't sell I'll have a very nice rifle.
wink.gif

I missed the mag stuff, there was a rumor that Magpul would be producing mag's for this rifle. I asked them and was told they always are engaged in product innovation...

You suck for having it and not me....
wink.gif

Damm nice rifle, hope you get to keep it and if not then enjoy it while it last.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Paul if you would please us, don't forget to get your hands on some good ammo and give us a range report.. Thx.</span>

On the other hand, don't shoot that puppy yet since you're selling it.

Good Luck
Max

I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but CDNN has them in tan for 2500. 16S's in black for 2252

Not hurting my feelings, in my mind being first is worth a couple hundred bucks, + how often do you get to put your hands on that low of a serial#. I planned to keep it, and thought the low serial number was pretty cool. Bidding seems to be moving right along though...

Also I spoke w/ FN and this first batch is fairly small, so I imagine there will be some pricing ebbs and flows as they come available and then dissapear... Kudos to CDNN for pricing based upon its formula despite lack of supply/demand parity.

I called Tuesday, and was given the price ofr the Tan .308 model. They may not have them physically on hand, if that is the case then I am wrong and apologize.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tepeter, I suspect you are confusing the 16s with the 17s.......CDNN does not have 17's at this time. </div></div>

On P42/43 of their catalog, they have the 17s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I've seen, anyone that did, doesnt anymore. I think the windup of your auction will be rather interesting.... </div></div>

lwrkeysfisher,

If that's the case, you might end up pretty good with your better half.

I keep telling her that guns are long-term assets, maybe she'll believe me after this. Her philosophy is that I can only shoot one gun at a time... Outside of a pistol and carbine, it's proven a tough point to argue.

Honestly you did the right thing. You have already made money on it by snagging one when you saw it. Speculating it will go another 2-300 over current bid.

In a few months they will not be the must have item and you can snag another for less on the used market...or go the smart route and get an MWS
smile.gif

hah he's gonna make a proffit! tell your wife to put that in her pipe and smoke it
laugh.gif

I'm very curious about how accurate these rifles are. What kind of barrels are used?

Creature:
FN claims that they are sub-MOA accurate (I kinda doubt it, but who knows). I am not sure who makes the barrels, but they are chrome lined. The two videos on the bottom left are my sources...

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/test/model.asp?fid=FNF054&gid=FNG006&mid=FNM0153#

Anchor Zero Six:
I would buy an LMT MWS if I was looking for a semi-auto precision rifle, I have been following its development since SHOT and have handled one--no doubt they are very nice.

I recently sold my 6.8SPC (hog killer) because the ammo was so expensive/unavailable. And when I picked up the SCAR I was thinking that with the $15 Hornady TAP .308 Ammo (and even cheaper 7.62 ball available surplus) from my local police supply house I could use it as a hog killer and general purpose truck rifle.

All FN barrels are made in house from start to finish. Since you are refering to the SCAR it is made at the Belgium Plant.

Cant beat the accuracy on these things. The SSR is said to be as accurate as an A5
laugh.gif

Re: Photos

just can't stand how the barrel looks on these. each to his own I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas_Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with the SCAR is that there are no replacement parts.</div></div>

Urban Legend. Call FNH service department, 800-635-1321, and they will sell you several different replacement parts. They are not selling things like barrels, lowers, uppers or trigger groups but other misc replacement/maintenance type parts you can get.

^^^Furthermore, if you have a FAILURE of any sort, they will take care of you. If you screw up your barrel cutting it or something like that, you are probably out of luck for a while.

I purchased one about a week ago and I called FNH to see about some getting some mags and they referred me to their two distributors who informed me that they where unavailable with no date when they would be available. The rile shot well out of the box. First three shots at 75 yards where covered with a quarter. The weapon is LOUD!