• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk SCAR 20S for PRS?

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    I’ve got two PRS matches behind me, and so far I’ve learned that I definitely don’t know what I don’t know know.

Having a great time, but I definitely don’t have an ideal rifle setup for this game yet.

I’ve got an opportunity to trade an existing rifle for a 20” SCAR 20S on 6.5CM. The stock definitely has quite a bit of adjustability, and the one in question is .5moa off a bench.

Is this rifle a viable gas gun option? I admit most of the gas guns I’ve seen so far have been AR-10’s and Seekins seems to be popular option here.

Thanks boys!

DFA02DDC-0164-4886-8832-90BED7A7DB16.jpeg

Nope. Theres very few gas guns to begin with and even less people that are competitive with them. If you want to play the game get a good bolt gun. Start with a impact or lone peak action and you'll never need to upgrade.

Edit: im not saying dont get the scar its just a terrible prs gun.

For that sport I think it's a terrible choice.
    I've only been to 18 matches and 2, two day matches. Winners don't win and wanters don't learn, off guns you can't focus with. Hitting the target and hitting the next one, that should be your focus.

Unless you strap 4 lbs of brass on each side of the mlock rail. Or you have the world's best positional shooting skills with a semi. Your gonna have a bad time.

If you have the means to get a different gun for prs I recommend that. If you still really want the scar, go for it. But I don't think that is anywhere near the right side of a good choice for prs.

Just get a "me too". Foundation, impact, proof 6 dasher. Or whatever you like. Get what makes shooting prs the easiest to focus on you learning. Not dicking with the rifle, scope or stock.

Reactions: Nostradumbass
    nope. terrible idea.

if you want it because it's a cool/fun gun to you then great. but it's pretty far from a viable PRS gun

Reactions: camocorvette
    In my experience in the long range “action” shooting sports such as Handgun Silhouette and my small experience shooting PRS matches, the best firearms for beginners are the most advanced. In IHMSA, forget that little 4 inch .357 revolver you love so much. You’ll be lucky to hit the berm at the ranges and required holds. A good custom XP100 in 6 or 7 TCU or 7BR is the ticket. For PRS, getting a steady first shot is hard enough, getting to the next shot made successfully, is exponentially more difficult with any rifle outside of a good bolt gun that weighs 15 to 20 pounds or more, and has a PRS usable scope and a round that offers minimal recoil.

With a good bolt gun, its doable with a 6.5 Creedmoor, but much easier with any of the sixes, a BR, Dasher, GT, or if a fellow wants to live on the wild side, a 6 Creedmoor or a .243. (All of which requires fast twist barrels) Going even lighter a fast twist .223 is easy to shoot, but hard to spot hits.

Making do with what you got might work for a match or two as long as it meets velocity and bullet weight requirements, but,,,The Best Advice is, Go to a match, see what is being shot, ask questions after the match and very likely a shooter or two will let you shoot their rifle to see what you like.

Don’t buy a lot of stuff, before you start shooting matches, cause you’ll have a lot of stuff sitting in the gunsafe, collecting dust. Repeat…Don’t buy a lot of stuff, before you start shooting matches, cause you’ll have a lot of stuff sitting in the gunsafe, collecting dust.

Try before you Buy!

I say run it for the time being until YOU decide it is or is not the business. Either way it’s time behind the trigger under the clock. I shot a match with an 18.5 .308 and it wasn’t the gun that put me second to last.

Reactions: CageFighter
    im using mine (20S) for the "beginners" match as my new AT-XC has not arrived yet.

Last edited:
    It depends on why youre competing in the first place. I personally use PRS and USPSA to train with the weapons I have and refuse to be one of those jersey-boy gamers with a 30lb 6 Dasher or spend 8k on a 2011 that wont run unless its *pristine*. If you want to play the game and thats whats fun for you then follow the gamers. If you plan on the SCAR being your go-to rifle then rock it as-is and watch the gamers cry. Do what makes you happy.

It depends on why youre competing in the first place. I personally use PRS and USPSA to train with the weapons I have and refuse to be one of those jersey-boy gamers with a 30lb 6 Dasher or spend 8k on a 2011 that wont run unless its *pristine*. If you want to play the game and thats whats fun for you then follow the gamers. If you plan on the SCAR being your go-to rifle then rock it as-is and watch the gamers cry. Do what makes you happy.

whats with the Jersey hate? -lol my SCARs are my go to rifles. my goal is train at distance w the weapons I have. I am not interested in winning the PRS game. I love the AT-X and got an awesome price on the pre-order of a C. btw, I also shoot USPSA w a G34 just fine.

Reactions: Wolf762x51
    John G who shoots Rifles Only all the Time shoots matches with FN Mk2o he loves it

He used a AI PSR before, for many years in fact, and not an AXMC, but actual PSR Rifle, so $18k

He showed me the FN at the Rifles Only Brawl last month, he is not looking to light the world on fire and I am sure the guy can careless about scores, but he does use an FN 20S