• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR vs ACR?

mhptrooper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2010
Well...my local shop has both a SCAR and an ACR...I've played with the idea of purchasing one-but not so sure on which is better...Anyone out there have any thoughts or expeirences with either or both?...thanks in advance!

Re: SCAR vs ACR?

Can you give me reasons either way? I want all the info I can get my hands on before I drop this much cash on a weapon...

Disregard - I shouldnt have posted at the end of a double. My .308 thoughts dont translate when coparing those two rifles - I'll shut up.

Scar all the way once again. The ACR is hit or miss. I have both also there is another thread that was posted recently asking the same question. Once my ACR is once again fixed for have a loose barrel I will be selling it. I guess there is 3 parts that can go bad in the reciever that makes the barrel not lock back into position or in my case become loose. Also, my barrel is marked 5.56 1/9 but was told by bushmaster not to shoot the Fed193 rounds cause its not made to handle the extra pressures. I mean I like the ACR better in the way they made the controls but the barrel thing is killing me. You would think if you spent that kind of money on a rifle you wouldnt have to worry about something like that happening.

Long story short if you are looking for a gas piston system check out the Scar, POF, or Gap. If you dont care about gas piston LMT, Daniel Defense, and many others.

what main issues are you talking about sir? ...also-please excuse me if this question has been posted; I'm not very computer-savvy & couldn't find it when I searched...

Stock trigger in a SCAR is reported to be in need of improvement by those that have them.

i would choose the scar for many reasons. FN is an outstanding weapons manufacturer with a long history of excellent quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stock trigger in a SCAR is reported to be in need of improvement by those that have them.</div></div> Geissele triggers solves that issue quite nicely.

Have had both, just my observations... the acr's lower, seems like it's built a little on the cheap and might not stand up to much abuse. The safety loosely snaps together, the grip isn't replaceable and doesn't feel very solid. I did like the acr's non-recip charging handle and it's location is very handy. Could do without the flimsy barrel retaining setup. The enhanced fore end is pretty fat. The new version acr looks like an improvement, but I don't think it's commercially available, if it even exists? E Acr is on the heavy side and is front heavy.

Scar is a nice rifle. Lower is nicely engineered, made of quality polymer, seems tough (other than trigger guard), has a much better safety and you can replace the grip. Trigger is on the heavy side, with a good short reset though. Scar does have quite a few screws though, never had issues with any coming loose. Barrel is on the thin side, but still does ok when warmed up. Recoil feeling is less than the acr, regardless of muzzle brakes. Scar is lighter, very nicely balanced. Eotechs, mounts with quick detach levers or mounts with big nuts will interfere when manually operating the charging handle if its on the same side. Slight accuracy edge to the scar. Scar stock is slightly tighter locking and maybe a little tougher.
Add the acr's charging handle to a scar and you'd have a real winner, imo.... Beretta's new arx rifle, if ever available, looks like it will be better than both!

I have had an ACR for a while now, and have not had any issues with it at all. Over 3500 rounds and have put only a few drops of oil on it. Holds it's zero within 1 inch at 100 yards when barrel is removed. Just ordered my 7.62x39 kit today and plan to test that out as soon as I get it in. I was in the Marines and do some of the drills that we trained with and it holds up well to fast shooting. I love the ACR and think it is one of the best rifles I have ever used. Have had some hands on with the SCAR as a friend of mine has one, but have not shot it yet. SCAR is lighter, but I liked the feel of my ACR better. It felt more sturdy to me. Some people hate on the ACR for the lack of the barrel kits from Bushmaster, but they will come. Disappointing myself in the wait but as long as they have no issues, I will be happy. Hope my input helps!

AR-15: cuzz nothing has been created yet that is better and there are a million after-market options available....very unlike the options mentioned.

SCAR. There are several companies that are already creating parts that support the SCAR platform. VLTOR makes several chassis components, while HiDesertDog has various barrels available for anything from SBR to SPR/DMR use. Geissele has a trigger, etc.

The ACR is an over-hyped, under-supported weapon system. The biggest hype about it was the fact that it could be easily converted to 7.62x39, which was huge for the cost savings of AK ammunition over 5.56 ammo. Instead, Bushampster opted for a 6.8SPC option instead. Well, that still hasn't come out as far as I'm aware, so I guess it's a non-issue since they didn't even deliver on that front.

I have a Scar 17s and I love it. I cant get the grin off my face after shooting it. Plus I have yet to see one at my range when I am there.

Scar all the way!!!I just bought a SCAR from my Father who bought it and never fired it...I was going to sell it myself after reading some on it but none of the broke asses around here wanted to pony up the $'s so I decided to keep it and set it up for 3-Gun...Bought an optics package off of Rangerwalker71 and took it to the range sunday for sight in..The SCAR shoots way better then I expected recoil is non existent trigger is not to bad once you get used to it..The target I posted was shot @ 100yds off the bench using Fiocchi 55gr ball (Not what I would use if shooting for groups)no rear rest and the optic is a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 in a Larue 1.5 SPR QD mount..I am not a benchrest shooter my dicipline is action pistol USPSA/3-Gun so I would like to see what this rifle is capable of with a bench shooter,stronger optic,ammo etc...but then again it is a battle rifle with a battle trigger and thats all its gonna be...

SCAR.jpg

target.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CallMeColt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had an ACR for a while now, and have not had any issues with it at all. Just ordered my 7.62x39 kit today and plan to test that out as soon as it gets in.</div></div>

When did that kit become available?

between the 2 , i would choose the scar, but i sold mine to buy the lwrc repr, in my opinion, a much better all around rifle, just sayin!

I love my Scar... I almost did the ACR too. I like the features on the ACR more but the Scar is just much better in quality and they really did think it out well. Big X-factor on the Scar, the way it feels. They both weigh about the same, but the Scar feels much lighter because the weight distribution. The balance is perfect, you can hold it at standing position all day. Recoil on the Scar is about half of the recoil on an AR. Impressive gun.

another vote for the SCAR, these things are quality for sure!