• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR vs REPR test

Price and recoil lead you to the SCAR

Mag cost and more accessories goes to the REPR

I hear that the REPR shoots straighter though....both shoot better than I do. Ha-Ha!

This is an interesting video. I know of one LEO sniper personally that has switched to a SCAR 17 as his primary call-out weapon. That surprised me. At one point he was running a REPR but eventually sold it to a fellow officer that really had to have it. He doesn't claim the SCAR 17 will set any records, but he claims it's very accurate. I believe he's running 175's in it even.

Personally I'm just amazed. I know the SCAR 17 barrels are not THAT heavy.

TTR

You don't need a barrel to be heavy for it to be accurate, even with some heating. Barrel steel quality trumps profile in my experience, and I cite one particular Sako 75 Hunter with a featherweight profile. My buddy decided that this would make a great target gun platform, so he dropped it into a McMillan Bros. A4 stock, put a Sako TRG bipod receptacle in the front of that beast of a stock, bedded it, topped with IOR glass, muzzled with a BR Tuote suppressor, and got this:

Shoots like this at 300m:

At 700m:

It's a very lightweight rifle that will beat your headache senseless during a 3-day Sniper Sustainment Course, but still kept on shooting beautifully. The SCAR's lightweight is what makes it such a favored gun. For this comparison, I think the SCAR Mk.20 SSR would have made a better comparison, but the fact that the SCAR still printed a comparable 5-round group says a lot for the system's accuracy potential, especially with the rack trigger, flimsy-feeling stock, and Chrome-Lined barrel.

I have a Scar 17S for a few months now, I sold my FN Fal and my AR10. I have not regret it at all. It will shoot and work with any 308 load, and it can sing with handloads. Got a Surefire 30cal Socom on order now...

Here are some pics... PS- The dork helmet is only used for the Go-pro. And my buddy shooting the 1-5 drill. Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EumFWx6jzXU

Attachments

• Scar 17S 2.jpg
    Scar 17S 2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Scar 17S.jpg
    Scar 17S.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Scar Heavy 17s 3.jpg
    Scar Heavy 17s 3.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 12
Yep but I can't bring myself to paint a $2700 dollar rifle especially when I don't know how or even know anyone to paint it. If anyone in or around Des Moines Iowa know someone please let me know

I certainly agree with the light weight can still be accurate. As someone who actually has to hump his gear, I am very conscience of weight. Personally, I feel most of the "in-style" precision rifles that are talked about today are too heavy for real world use. Or severely limiting if you need to actually hump to your positions / patrol. Not to be too much of a dick about it, but I do pay attention to the PT level of the people advocating 17-18-19# rifles. Most of them, it appears to me anyway, just drive up to shooting positions on a square range. So they don't seem to mind the weight.

That is why I have been watching the SCAR 17 so closely. I have had great experience with my SCAR 16 work rifle.

I have inquired casually about the SSR being imported and I can never get a straight answer out of the FNH people on the subject.

TTR

Yep but I can't bring myself to paint a $2700 dollar rifle especially when I don't know how or even know anyone to paint it. If anyone in or around Des Moines Iowa know someone please let me know

I started with a cheap AR clone, then a couple gun cases, redone a few times for more practice;) Another option would be a custom body shop, I'd imagine there'd be several options in the Des Moines metro area.

Great video, thanks for posting! My navy buddies like the SCAR Heavy because the snipers can carry one rifle (the SCAR) instead of two (M4 and Mk13). While it's not perfect for every single mission, the SCAR did really well in places like Iraq where the engagements were often less than 800 yards.