• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Schmidt and Bender PM2

awclark79

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2014
I am looking to by a Schmidt and Bender PM2 for use on a 308. I can only justify the expenditure if I can also use it on my 50 BMG (Steyr HS50). I am stationed in NY and wont be shooting my 50 BMG until a later assignment or even after I retire and live in a area with sufficient long range shooting options.

Does anyone have any practical experience with the PM2 and 50 BMG? Is it sufficiently rugged to handle the over-pressure?

I would think so. S&B have military contracts so by rights alone, their scopes should handle anything a military small arm weapon can throw at it.

Yeah, I saw that and they say that it can go to 50 BMG, just wondering about long term survivability.

It will be fine. I ran a friends S&B on my 50 several years during 1000 yard competition, he recently sold it to another fellow who runs it on his 50. I usually run a NF on mine, no issues with the NF on the 50 either.

It will be fine. I ran a friends S&B on my 50 several years during 1000 yard competition, he recently sold it to another fellow who runs it on his 50. I usually run a NF on mine, no issues with the NF on the 50 either.

Thanks,
Good to know.

I am looking to by a Schmidt and Bender PM2 for use on a 308. I can only justify the expenditure if I can also use it on my 50 BMG (Steyr HS50). I am stationed in NY and wont be shooting my 50 BMG until a later assignment or even after I retire and live in a area with sufficient long range shooting options.

Does anyone have any practical experience with the PM2 and 50 BMG? Is it sufficiently rugged to handle the over-pressure?

I do not have practical experience with a PMII on a 50 BMG.

I do own two PMII's, one is on a .338 LM other is on my .223 trainer. I do not see ANY reason why a PMII would not be sufficient on a 50 BMG when I have seen and shot other high end scopes on 50's and 416's. I went with S&B because all other scopes companies appear to model themselves after S&B. Hope this made sense.

I have also seen footage of USMC snipers with PMII's on their 50's so once again I would say go for it if that is route you are looking.

The only reason I would say go elsewhere is IF you do not like any of the reticles they offer.

Just my two cents...

I have been a member, and match competitor in the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (FCSA) since 1992. I have used both the NF Benchrest series and NXS series, and the S&B PMII 5-25 on competition .50 bolt guns, & prone/tactical semi-auto and bolt .50's (Barrett M107A1 & the Navy Mk15/McMillan TAC-50). I have also used a Kahles 6-24X on a DTA HTI. All were sturdy enough to hold up reliably. Many people do not realize it is not the recoil or muzzle blast that causes the reliability problems of scopes on .50's. .50's are like piston air guns. It is the "reverse" recoil that occurs that shakes things loose inside the scope. Scopes are generally designed to withstand normal "rearward" recoil. The muzzle brake on a .50 causes up to a 21 g reverse recoil shock wave to the scope (Eric Williams did the experiment and wrote an article on it in the VHP in the early 90's). Many scopes in the past did not have internals designed to withstand this. In the late 80's and early 90's, the Leupold Mk4 Ultra series was the only one that consistently held up. After Jeff Huber listened to requests/needs of FCSA competitors, Nightforce first released the benchrest series scopes in the Mid 90's, and later the NXS series, both of which have set a track record of holding up well. Now there are probably many others that will hold up, but there are still many that may not. I have no reliability concerns when using either NF or S&B's on my .50's. A look at the "equipment lists" of the top competitors in the match reports will give you an idea of what they trust and use. Personally, I would also not hesitate to use the Kahles or Steiner tactical series scopes either. As Jester308 stated, just be sure to have a quality set of rings or mount. And recheck the torque on all the screws frequently the first several times you use the rifle, as they tend to "shoot loose." Once everything is settled in, they usually stay tight.

Scott

Reactions: The GIF-fer
I ran a S&B PM II on my HS-50 until I needed it on another rifle. No problems at all. Suggestion, buy a Near Alpha Mount with 45-MOA slope built in, it's the perfect set-up, you'll need it for those very long shots.

Alpine gives great advice !! Mine is a 30 or 35 I forgot what Richard sent me but I have 66 MOA but I have not zeroed yet so I should end up with around 60 I hope once I get my elevation set!