• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt & Bender or US Optics

petesp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2008
Montana
If money was not an issue what would be your choice for a higher power scope. I am wanting it for 1000 to 1500 yard shooting. I have a nightforce NXS 5.5-22 and love it but would like a little more power, I have tried the NightForce 12-42 and it is not what I am looking for. Anyone with any experience with the USO 10-42, S&B Police Marksman or any other comparable scope. I am looking for up to 25X and higher,I want to only buy one scope like this and I want the best there is, which I know that much of that is personal preference but being I have no experience with any of the high end scopes other than Night Force I would like to here what some of you think. Thanks

Re: Schmidt & Bender or US Optics

Fuck S&B and USO, they both suck! I would get a CounterSniper over both of those any day of the week!

The 5-25x56 S&B with the P4F reticle would work very well for what you want to do and would be my choice.

Surprised the NF isn't doing it though as I have used the same scope to shoot to 2000 yards.

Don't forget the Hensoldt 6-24x56 either. I know it's not quite 25x but clarity will do much more than a little more power at those ranges.

Thanks, any info on any of them is all good.

You just got info on them. THEORY says 1x per 100 you want to shoot. This is saying that really you should be able to get out to 1500 with a 15x scope. Great, no, but it will work. Are there other issues maybe? Rob is a very good shot and if he was out to 2000 with the NF, maybe there are other things to look at.
Just my .02
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuck S&B and USO, they both suck! I would get a CounterSniper over both of those any day of the week! </div></div>

LMFAO,calling PISTOL PETE!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously, I have 2 S&B PMII's 5x25x56. If you don't have the loot for the Hensoldt-buy the Zeiss Victory Diavari. If you want a FFP S&B all the way.By the time you get a USO set up like a S&BPMII-you'll be over on price.

I have found that scopes tend to have a subjectively better sight picture dialed back a tad from their max anyway.
I run mt 5-25's at about 17-20 and when I ran a 3.2-17 I was usually around 15X.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
By the time you get a USO set up like a S&BPMII-you'll be over on price. </div></div>

Maybe you get your S&B's cheap, but here's the breakdown on a 5-25 USO with all the bells and whistles, and accessories:

SN3-2500
Base price $2535
T-Pal Left - Standard Option
58mm T-PAL - Standard Option
EREK 1/10 MIL - 175.00
U.S. #3 1/10 MIL With Windage Stop - 175.00
35mm - 80.00
Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing - Standard Option
Mil-Scale MPR - 86.00
11 Pos Rheostat (Red) - 185.00
Lo Profile Housing - Standard Option
Rapid Focus - Standard Option
Butler Creek Flipup Objective Cover - 15.00
Butler Creek Flipup Eyepiece Cover - 15.00
58mm Fixed 4" Sunshade - 45.00
Honeycomb Polarizer/ARD - 40.00
<span style="font-weight: bold">USO retail $3351</span>

I haven't seen S&B 5-25's that cheap unless they're mil/moa CW......

Just so the info is out there, for USO you can get both Premier Reticle GEN2 versions - XL and XR. If you try and do that with the only S&B out there still for sale (it's got MOA turrets) then you're looking at
$3400 for the scope plus tax and shipping
$500 for the MIL conversion plus tax and shipping
$500 for CCW conversion plus tax and shipping.

Rather than say 'by the time you get a USO to SB specs', it's the other way round currently. I don't want to pay $4.5k something that I can get for over a $1k less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just so the info is out there, for USO you can get both Premier Reticle GEN2 versions - XL and XR. If you try and do that with the only S&B out there still for sale (it's got MOA turrets) then you're looking at
$3400 for the scope plus tax and shipping
$500 for the MIL conversion plus tax and shipping
$500 for CCW conversion plus tax and shipping.

Rather than say 'by the time you get a USO to SB specs', it's the other way round currently. I don't want to pay $4.5k something that I can get for over a $1k less.
</div></div>

http://www.eurooptic.com/Schmidt-Bender/...amp;parent=XXSB

There it is, not in stock but cheaper.

You are not losing anything by going with a P4F reticle over a XR or XL, if you want to pay an extra 1k to have a similar reticle, more power to you, but don't try to define the price by the cost of the conversions.

Honestly I have owned both Schmidt and USO and at a similar price point, I would pick Schmidt any day of the week, in fact I have sold all my USOs for Schmidt. With a S&B you are getting WAY better glass (esp in low light), you are getting knobs that are not mushy, more usable illumination and a lighter weight scope that is equally as tough. Plus you have a lower chance of getting a scope with "issues" from the factory. I understand people have "favorite" brands and it is hard to swallow the fact that you paid a good amount of money for a scope that may not be considered the "best" but based on previous scope experience I really cannot imagine anyone choosing USO over S&B if they had the two similar scopes right in front of them for direct comparison.

I have been to the USO shop before and John and Co are really great guys. Part of the original reason why I spent so much on USO scopes was because of their friendly sales and the good vibes I got from them as a team. I would really like to love USO again, but I've gotten too many scopes with issues that needed to be repaired back and forth with them to ever trust their gear. As much as I like the USO team, at the end of the day I would rather spend my money on a scope with fantastic glass that I can trust to work over spending it on goodwill towards a local company.

I have 3 USO SN3's, had an ST10, and couldn't be happier. I doubt one will help you "win the race" o'er the other, I support John and USO b/c he makes a great product, and supports <span style="font-weight: bold">us</span>. I've seen prize tables at matchs littered with USO product, USO scopes donated to charity rifle builds. I've seen a S&B hat on a prize table.....

You choose on what's important to you, and spend your money accordingly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The S&B is all around a better scope than the USOs. </div></div>+1, in my experience mainly with regard to quality/durability of the adjustment knobs.

SWFA does have a great price on the S&B's I hadn't seen that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">........I doubt one will help you "win the race" o'er the other, I support John and USO b/c he makes a great product, and supports <span style="font-weight: bold">us</span>. I've seen prize tables at matchs littered with USO product, USO scopes donated to charity rifle builds. I've seen a S&B hat on a prize table.....
You choose on what's important to you, and spend your money accordingly. </div></div>

I'm not knocking S&B in any way shape or form, they have great stuff, but the point that JRose makes echoes a large part of my sentiment, plus USO will build what you want in your scope.

Now shouldn't you be packing?

All ready packed. Just wasting some time. Fly out at 2pm.
wink.gif

No need for a custom features. S&B already builds what I need in a scope: accurate/repeatable knobs, great glass, durable, and a good reticle. What more is needed?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No need for a custom features. S&B already builds what I need in a scope: accurate/repeatable knobs, great glass, durable, and a good reticle. What more is needed?
wink.gif
</div></div>+1

All the talk of the 25x S&B doesn't really make sense. 25x is not much more than the 22x from a magnification standpoint. I think what needs to be compared are the 10-42x USO the op mentioned and the 12-50x S&B. I have no experience with either, but I know going from 22x to 25x doesn't do much for me.

USO all the way. Better design, better service, made in USA, cheaper.

For 1500M and Precision, NOTHING beats(money no object) a
USO SN-9 with a 80mm objective. If you can see the center of what you want to hit, and hit it right, that scope will do the job. I will one day be able to eat enough raman to buy both the scope and the gun just to be able to shoot 1500M - 2k, but for now my raman diet and range are good for about 600M
grin.gif

I'm no beyond a 1000yd shooter by any means. but when I do spot shots at 8,9 and 1000yds with my spotting scope (long range Palma) I like a 20-25x. I noticed I lose a lot to mirage after 20X. as matter of fact i bought a 32x lens for my Leica spotting scope and I have never used it for long range. I have only used it when I've shot small bore matches indoors for 50'.

Scott

I prefer S&B but if you want a USO contact Treavor Pearson his website is tacticallyarmedcitizen.com. Once you spec out your scope send him the configuration and he'll give you 10% off msrp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 3 USO SN3's, had an ST10, and couldn't be happier. I doubt one will help you "win the race" o'er the other, I support John and USO b/c he makes a great product, and supports <span style="font-weight: bold">us</span>. I've seen prize tables at matchs littered with USO product, USO scopes donated to charity rifle builds. I've seen a S&B hat on a prize table.....

You choose on what's important to you, and spend your money accordingly. </div></div>

Well put. I really like your argument here. Not sure why so many other people need others to convince them of what they want/need though. Customer service has been the drive behind a lot of successful companies. USO really gets it.

I like S&B's too, I just prefer to spend my money this way, and love my scopes.

I do plan on buying a S&B 4-16 for another project down the road that calls for something a little different, they are fine scopes for sure...

Tough choice, I have 2 S&B's, M8541 and Short Dot, and 2 USO, MST-100 and 1.8-10x37. The quality is there in either case. If there is a way that you can have a look through the models your considering that's your best option. If not either way you will have a scope that will get the job done and then some..

merlinn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All ready packed. Just wasting some time. Fly out at 2pm.
wink.gif

No need for a custom features. S&B already builds what I need in a scope: accurate/repeatable knobs, great glass, durable, and a good reticle. What more is needed?
wink.gif
</div></div>

I'm at the same point of choosing a S&B or a USO myself. I'm so disgusted at trying to figure out what features S&B actually has I've just about given up on them. I like the thought of buying a off the shelf high end product but they aren't making it easy. There is nothing on their website about the PMII's having zero stops on elevation or windage. Some more retical options would nice too. For a $3k scope they should have better descriptions of theirs scopes and features on their website.

I like the idea USO supports shooting sports.

USO can use a bit of help on their website as well, but at the very least they list out all the customization you can select for their scopes.
smile.gif

I have to add that I am nothing but thrilled with my USO scope (SN3 3.2-17). They are an easy company to work with, and have an outstanding US made product. They are my absolute first choice. SB's are really nice too, but for my $$$, I am staying with USO.

Reasons I own USOs:

1. John is right here, if I have a problem.
2. They are constructed well.
3. Someone always pics up the phone when I call, and answers my questions before they let me go.
4. I have not had a single issue with any of them.
5. The overall quality is phenomenal.
6. JRose said it perfectly. They support us.

Reasons I don't own S&Bs:
None.

My point of view, the USO is a great scope and is built by a great company; neither of which have let me down. I don't have a good reason to own or not to own an S&B.

It is irrelevant whether or not USO supports contests and such. The OP simply asked what is the BEST. If you are basing them solely on the scope itself, the Schmidt is better.

USO has decent customer service, they will fix whatever breaks, but it may take them 2-4 months (every time a USO broke that was the average time it took for me to get it back). I have never broken an S&B but they will actually send you a loaner scope to use while your original is in for repairs.

If you want to read a good objective comparison of these scopes, you should check out the Houston area scope comparison thread from a few months ago where many SH members compared scopes in person and were completely underwhelmed by USO quality. (Starts halfway down page 3)
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1630498&page=3

Everyone's experiences will vary due to actual use, everyone's eyes see things differently and thus comments on "clarity" will be subjective. I have astigmatism so I wear my glasses when shooting and my "review" of scope glass will be based on looking through an external piece of another type of glass. So my views may or may not be relevant to another person, and what is left is the construction of the scope itself. Haven't read that Houston scope comparison thread but I will soon, but for every group of shooter who are underwhelmed by a particular scope, somehow you will always find another group of shooters who are overwhelmed by that same scope, just the way it is, that is unless you're talking about Counter Sniper scopes...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I have USO and for my intended use I am very happy with all aspects of the scope. I have no doubt S&B makes a great scope and I hope to try one some day so I can see if it fits me. I will have to go on shoots with Calguns members and see one for myself, though most people there seems to be jumping on the Premier band wagon now, or they own USOs.
smile.gif

If you decide on the USO you should plan for at least one return to the factory, possibly two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you decide on the USO you should plan for at least one return to the factory, possibly two.

</div></div>

This based on your extensive experience with them, or your interpretation of internet ramblings?

4 out of 5 of my USO's went down.

(1) SN-3 3.8-22, tits up
(1) SN-3 3.2-17, tits up
(2) ST-10's, tits up

I did have a ST17 that was a tank. Glass wasn't the greatest, but it got the most use and I bought it used. May have already been back to the factory for all I know.

Needless to say I don't own anymore USO scopes.

JRose, that is my ACTUAL experience and not internet ramblings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you decide on the USO you should plan for at least one return to the factory, possibly two.

</div></div>

This based on your extensive experience with them, or your interpretation of internet ramblings? </div></div>

If I based it on internet ramblings I'd have said they make the greatest scope in the history of man.

ETA: for what its worth I like their scopes. I just don't think they generally get it right the first time and a new customer should understand its a custom product and may need some CS work before its right.

RussW1911, would you mind elaborating on what "tits up" means? I hear this term used quite a bit for describing scope failure but what specific failure did you experience? Not picking an argument, I would like to know, and it would be educational for people who are looking between the two so they can make an educated purchase.

What do you use now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RussW1911, would you mind elaborating on what "tits up" means? I hear this term used quite a bit for describing scope failure but what specific failure did you experience? Not picking an argument, I would like to know, and it would be educational for people who are looking between the two so they can make an educated purchase.

What do you use now? </div></div>

SoCal, not going to into all of this again, this horse has been whooped multiple times.

Paralax freezing, elevation locking, erector assembling fouling up, failure to return to zero, loose lenses, yadda yadda yadda.

Night Force.

for what it's worth I MIGHT have a NF that went "tits up". I haven't been able to get back to the range to confirm, but if it did, I will post up. As many of those as I have and the abuse they have taken, I will let them fix it and it'll go again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If money was not an issue what would be your choice for a higher power scope. I am wanting it for 1000 to 1500 yard shooting. I have a nightforce NXS 5.5-22 and love it but would like a little more power, I have tried the NightForce 12-42 and it is not what I am looking for. Anyone with any experience with the USO 10-42, S&B Police Marksman or any other comparable scope. I am looking for up to 25X and higher,I want to only buy one scope like this and I want the best there is, which I know that much of that is personal preference but being I have no experience with any of the high end scopes other than Night Force I would like to here what some of you think. Thanks </div></div>

I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the Canadian sniper that made the 1 1/2 mile kill in Afganastan used a Nightforce

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the Canadian sniper that made the 1 1/2 mile kill in Afganastan used a Nightforce</div></div>

Corrected---He used Luppy.

Here is the actual rifle system he used. It is on display at museum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tac50.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the Canadian sniper that made the 1 1/2 mile kill in Afganastan used a Nightforce</div></div>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tac50.jpg </div></div>

Unpossible

I have used the S & B 5-25, and various Nightforce scopes. I prefer the Nightforce 5.5-22x56 to the S & B 5-25.

I have 3 S&bs and 3 NFs. I have owned 2 March scopes 10x60, 2 USO scopes. The first S&B scope, I had doubts about that much money for a scope. I finally pulled the trigger. Since Sold the USO scopes and March scopes. Bought 2 more S&Bs. My opinion the S&Bs are my favorite.
In another note. I still own the NFs. I can't seem to want to sell them. They do their job. I feel they would be my second choice. They are reliable scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tac50.jpg </div></div>

The Military or was it the Hisory channel I forget which at the moment showed the rifle and the Sniper and the scope on top was a Nighforce. The re-inactment used a Nighforce scope and a call to Nightforce confirmend that the scope was indeed a 5.5X22X56 Nightforce that the Canadian sniper used to make the 1 1/2 mile kill

2 points, and my only 2 so sorry. My Premier built S&B has a bit of an offset between the zero and what is on the turret. This was said was in spec. Glass is OMG!!! The USO (MST-100) is not as clear, but the thing it solid. You feel every click, simplest at its best. We've all heard about driving tent stakes and the USO clay pigeon toss. It is rugged. I won't do this with either, but the USO does win the hand feel test.
Both are winners, just in different circles. In my case, USO does not win in the "best".
But you get to talk to Becky and they will do all they can.
Chad

Money no issue, go with Zeiss! the glass has no equal. If 24x isnt enough go with the S&B 50x. You will be able to reach out better with the 50x. Owned them both.

If the longest sniper shot was done with a 16x Leupold M4 and now McMillan recommends a NF 8-32x NXS with its Tac-50, why isn't the scope with the best glass always the best one for the job? Must be some other factors at play.