• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt & Bender Short Dot 1-8x24 and S&B 3-20x50

Re: Schmidt & Bender Short Dot 1-8x24 and S&B 3-20x50

Thanks for the info and posting the pics Rob..After many years of use, I am selling off my Mark4's to move up to the S&B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

5910037986_de95909b39_z.jpg

Mike @ CST </div></div>

What mount is this?

The Mount is the Warne Tactical RAMP. It is a nice mount the also come with removable 45 degree rails so you can run a little RED DOT Sight.

Mike @ CST

Damn that eyepiece is huge. Lookin good!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hookman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info and posting the pics Rob..After many years of use, I am selling off my Mark4's to move up to the S&B. </div></div>

A wise decision. You will be very pleased with S&B

Great write-up and pics of these beauties!!

I'm trying to decide on which 1-8x scope to get in the near or distant future and that S&B Short Dot sure looks great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hookman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just add photo of the 3-20x50mm.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

When will you have this model scope in? </div></div>

I am with KYS338, anxiously waiting for its arrival..it would make a great early Christmas present for me. </div></div>

Truly, that magnification is PERFECT! I can't wait.

Buddy of mine talked to someone at SB yesterday and they said the 1-8 is looking like a December delivery time frame.

Mike,

Thanks for the photos...

This short dot you received seems to have shorter turrets than the photos we've all seen here online of the 5-25, 3-20, and the short dot. The short dot in those photos of the new SB scopes on the white blocks, had taller turrets. Any reason for this? Did they shorten the turrets for the production model or are they not tactical turrets on the one you received?? Or will it be an option to get the taller turrets? Even Schmidt & Bender DE's website schematic looks like it has the taller windage turret. Don't really like this "squatty" turret, do you?

Thanks,

'Driver

mg7845.jpg

Any update on when you will do the video review of the 3-20?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 110len</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any update on when you will do the video review of the 3-20? </div></div>

Or what the retail is going to be on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 60Driver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,
This short dot you received seems to have shorter turrets than the photos we've all seen here online</div></div>

You are correct they first one had the taller turrets but they went with the low profile. I like the Lower Profile turret myself to me it look and feel a little slicker and feel nicer. The one I have has a green mark under the turret so when you pull it up you will see the green indicator to let you know it is unlooked. I will post a photo of it. We are working on the video of the Schmidt & Bender Short Dot 1-8x.

Mike @ CST

Just watched the video, thanks for the info

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just watched the video, thanks for the info </div></div>

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for watching...

Mason @ CST

How's the video review of the 1-8 coming along?

I have such a strong feeling that the 3-20X50 will be the holy grail of scopes for my GAP Crusader. Think these suspicions would be true?

2 Mike@CST

1. Thank you for keeping things updated
2. Can you make pictures of reticles side-by-side for CQBSS vs. Short-Dot - i.e. to show how it performs when looking at smthng 100 yards away in daylight with & wihout illumination on 1x and 8x?

Thank you in advance.

Wish this would have been available before I went oconus. Ended up using the CQBSS because I couldn't get my hands on one of these.

Timing sucks sometimes

The 3-20 is on the "to get" list for sure!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish this would have been available before I went oconus. Ended up using the CQBSS because I couldn't get my hands on one of these.

Timing sucks sometimes
</div></div>

You would still be waiting on an SB 1-8 if you waited I have heard maybe 4th Quarter this year for release.

I have pre-ordered S&B 3-20x50 MRAD P4F Illuminted from Eurooptic.com. Initially I have requested traditional double turn turrets. Alex advised me that at the moment they only had those scopes with MTC turrets. I didn't want to go with MTC turrets because of some indexing/movement issues that people had with MTC on S&B. Have those issues been fixed?

Now I am considering buying MTC turrets. Can someone explain what the major difference is between double turn turrets and MTC turrets. I understand that MTC can be locked and have smaller profile.

Also would like to know:

If MTC make more noise when being dialed?
Do MTC need more force applied when dialed?
Can MTC be unlocked, than dialed and finaly rifle shot, without locaking the turret again?

Had on order, sorry to raise false alarm.

The other MTC knobs that had the alignment problems were a different knob. Not the locking version.

The MTC have a <span style="font-weight: bold">M</span>ore <span style="font-weight: bold">T</span>actile <span style="font-weight: bold">C</span>lick on each full mil mark. The other clicks feel like standard clicks. You do need a little more force to get the knob out of the MTC on the full mils and this is why some don't like them but it's workable.

You can unlock the knob and leave it unlocked. You don't have to push it down and lock it before shooting.

This Locking MTC turrets are much nicer than the other MTC turret. I'm sure you will like them.

Mike @ CST

To get thumbs up on it from you two is a big relief. I will be updating my order to have MTCs
smile.gif

Any updates with real-life reticle-to-reticle comparison pics?

We are working on the video. I can post some photos of the reticle. As for a comparison are you looking for the S&B 1-8x and the Leupold CQBSS 1.1-8x?

Mike @ CST

Mike,
When you do your video can you do some reticle pics of the 1x8 at say 4 and 6 power looking at say 12" targets at 2 and 3 hundred. The reason I am asking is I am a 3gunner and I don't always want all 8 power, but I want the mil holds to be seen at a lower power. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are working on the video. I can post some photos of the reticle. As for a comparison are you looking for the S&B 1-8x and the Leupold CQBSS 1.1-8x?

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Mike, Yes. If it's possible.

with llumination on
at 1.1x
at 8x
Same target. Same day light condiditons.

Just want to understand
1. how good is "the dot" on S&B on 1x
2. how <span style="font-style: italic">bad</span> is the reticle on S&B on 8x
3. how good is the reticle on CQBSS on 8x
4. how <span style="font-style: italic">bad</span> the "opened cross" on CQBSS on 1x

Thank you in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will try to go to the range this weekend and get that done for you guys.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Hi Mike,

Just wondering whether you guys are any closer to posting the video review of the S&B 1-8.

Many thanks.

Mason is not working for us anymore but with that said he is still working on the last 4 videos he did for us. I was told yesterday he got another one done but it was not the 1-8x S&B
frown.gif
. I was told within the next few weeks it will be done. It turns out I forgot got to get him some photos he needed (my bad).

Mike @ CST

OK evaluation at best, a trained military sniper's view would be more accurate. The H58 has a place, line thickness isn't an issue as much a speed. The faster you can get a correction the better. That is assuming you miss at all. While it's all a matter of opinion, one needs to explain the value of all options; all the reticles have uses and options, as long as you are trained in any one of them you will prevail. Note, I used a standard Unertl10x sniper for 10 years and found it basic and functional. Any of the new reticles and configurations are a remarkable step up.

Mark Caracci
USMC sniper school 1/88. SEAL sniper service 1988-1998

Hi totenkopf,
Thanks for your feedback. I would have liked to do a better review; due to certain events that took place time was very limited.

As for the H58 like I said in the video if you are shooting 18”x18” targets you will not have an issues and it is fast. I do feel if you are shooting small MOA to sub MOA targets you will have an issue. Is it fast for correction if you miss? Sure assuming you see the impacts (splash or hole). I was having some issue seeing impact on paper when I was Zeroing the scope I had to going to another scope to see the 6.5mm hole at 100yds. The other scope was a 15x. When I located the hole I was able to go back and make it out with the H58 but the lines covered most of the 3 shot group. When shooting steel at 550yds I put in 2.2 mil left wind so I would be off target by 2mil (there was a 0.2 left to right wind at 550yds). When shooting a under light recoil I did not come off target that much so I was able to pack-up the splash fast (Not sure what it would be like under a heavy recoil). I was able to make the correction just fine, I did not feel it was a lot faster than what I have used in the past, I still had assess impact. To me the H58 blocked a lot of area that could be used for observation. I know there are a lot of shooters that love the Hours RETs. and I know a lot of shooters that do not. Like you said it is a matter of opinion.

I’m not sure why “trained military sniper's view would be more accurate”. Most of the top shooters in the world are not Military Snipers. I do have the upmost respect to the Military Sniper Community and we try to support them were we can.

Mike @ CST

Any update as to when the 3-20's will be in stock?
Thanks

Any word on the release of the 1-8?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any word on the release of the 1-8? </div></div>

December, according to S&B.

They also said August of 2010....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vtb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any chance for reticles pics? </div></div>
I will have some photo up tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any word on the release of the 1-8? </div></div>
At SHOT SHOW they were shooting for August but they change that date back in June to December. My guess is we will not see any orders start shipping until SHOT SHOW 2012.

Mike @ CST

After seeing those pics I would probably opt for the P3 reticle.

Is the reticle as fine as the pics make it out to be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp7178</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After seeing those pics I would probably opt for the P3 reticle.

Is the reticle as fine as the pics make it out to be? </div></div>

Yes it is. That was one of the issues I stated to them really the only issue. At this time the Mil-Dot RET you see here and one of the Hours RETs will be available. I'm not a big fan of the Hours RETs but it looks like it will be the way to go for this scope. I really like the Mil-Dot RET you see here at 4x and up.

Mike @ CST

After reviewing the reticle pics, I understand the criticism that the lines are a little too fine. However, it seems that this is most apparent on lower magnifications where the red dot is major aiming mechanism. At higher magnifications, the reticle lines are plenty bold to accomplish ranging for targets beyond say 300 meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocLane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reviewing the reticle pics, I understand the criticism that the lines are a little too fine. However, it seems that this is most apparent on lower magnifications where the red dot is major aiming mechanism. At higher magnifications, the reticle lines are plenty bold to accomplish ranging for targets beyond say 300 meters. </div></div>

You are correct at 1x the RED DOT would be the main aiming point. I see an issue when the battery dies and the RET would be need. For LE and Mil use this I can see this being an issue especially with the battery life not being so long (Yes I know you should change out the batteries every time). I really like the line quality at 8x it is very nice to have. I would like to see a big circle (24" or 36") in the center or a three tier reticle.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike @ CST