• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt & Bender Short Dot 1-8x24 and S&B 3-20x50

Re: Schmidt & Bender Short Dot 1-8x24 and S&B 3-20x50

Mike,
Any update on delivery of the PMII 5-25x56's?

I’m really sorry about the delay on the S&B 1-8x video. We have had a few issues with this video occur and trying to recover it.

Mike @ CST

What is the MSRP ($), for the 1-8 ?

What is the FOV, for the 1-8 ?

Thanks
Ralph

I got to shoulder the S&B 1-8X at the Ft. Benning International Sniper Competition Sponsors booth yesterday. I was told that this was a prototype version, and that S&B was acutely aware of the thin reticle criticism. To be honest, the lines are so faint at 1X that you better have irons if your batteries go down. Having said that, the glass is crystal clear in typical short dot fashion, and the red dot is easily visible on white background in the bright Columbus sun.

I also agree that the MK8 has better locking turrets, but this is not as dramatic of a deficiency as the reticle. Having played with both, I still prefer the S&B to the TMR version of the MK8 due to the presence of a daylight visible red dot at low magnification. I see the visible dot as a must have for a scope that goes down to 1X. Without it, I'd much rather run a NF 2.5-10X with red dot offset on a MWS or SCAR-H. I also prefer the S&B's more compact design.

As for delivery, the sales rep claimed that .gov / .mil orders were shipping this month, and that civilian orders would go in January. I'm not sure if she was feeding me a line of BS since I'm not aware of any agencies ordering this scope in signifiant numbers. She also said that S&B would be offering other reticle choices down the line that might correct the fine line at low magnifications.

Nightforce was pushing their F1 5.5-22X (meh) at their booth. I love their current F1 3.5-15X, but I feel that F1 reticles become telephone poles at 22X - call it a personal preference. They denied any 1-8X offering in the near future. This is fine with me since I'd rather they work on the daylight visibility of their current 1-4X reticle before jumping into the 1-8X waters.

5.5-22 f1? Was it still 30mm tube?

Sounds cool!

Chris

I did not ask that specific question, but I assume that will be a 30mm tube. The 5.5-22X on hand was a SFP model. I was just surprised that the rep was making an "official" announcement given how tight lipped NF can be with pending products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.5-22 f1? Was it still 30mm tube?

Sounds cool!

Chris

</div></div>

It will be a 5-25x 34mm tube.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ralfabco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the MSRP ($), for the 1-8 ? What is the FOV, for the 1-8 ? </div></div>

I'm told the starting price will be around $2600.00 we will see.

Optical data

Magnification: 1 - 8x
Field of view at 100 m: 35m - 5m
Exit pupil: 6.8mm - 2.9mm
Eye relief distance: 90mm
Light transmission: 90%
Diopter setting: +2 to -3

Mike @ CST

For those that have handled the S&B 1-8. How much total elevation adjustment does it have? I see that it has a single turn 10 mil elevation dial. I assume it has more useable elevation to get you zeroed first? Then once you are zeroed you are limited to the 10 mil single turn? If this is the case, does anyone know how much total elevation adjustment it has?

If I am way off can someone clear it up for me? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elephantrider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those that have handled the S&B 1-8. How much total elevation adjustment does it have? I see that it has a single turn 10 mil elevation dial. I assume it has more useable elevation to get you zeroed first? Then once you are zeroed you are limited to the 10 mil single turn? If this is the case, does anyone know how much total elevation adjustment it has?

If I am way off can someone clear it up for me? Thanks </div></div>

You are correct. I'm 100% for sure but I would guess there is some were around 30mils in the whole scope. Maybe Frank checked that.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5.5-22 f1? Was it still 30mm tube?

Sounds cool!

Chris

</div></div>

It will be a 5-25x 34mm tube.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Is this really happening? Does it look like this will be out by SHOT this year? If so, this could (could) be a real big year for NF!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Posted the Schmidt & Bender 1-8x24mm video.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Thank you for the video. I really hope they do something about the reticle at 1x. If they made the outer portion of the reticle thicker, it would be a big improvement on 1x and not even be noticed on 8x. Something like SWFA's t reticle on their 1-4. It does not need to be illuminated.

I honestly wouldn't mind a thicker reticle even in the center portion. I feel this scope is for SPR military/leo use or 3gun. I don't think it is necessary to have a super fine reticle for making tiny groups.

Even with the downsides of the reticle, I am saving my pennies.

If S&B listen the reticle issue can be easily solved. I think this scope gets my nod over the CQBSS, it's smaller, shorter, lighter and less expensive.

There were rumors at the Ft. Benning International Sniper Comp last week that the P3 reticle would be available in the US sometime in the future. This would probably help a lot, but there is not a definite date.

Even with the thin reticle, I still favor the S&B over the Mk8 due to the visible daylight red dot. I will only use the red dot (or BUIS if the battery dies) at 1X. I know that the Horus version of the MK8 has a visible red dot, but I'm not a Horus fan and I've not heard a definite word that this version will make it to civilian hands.

Holy crap... 50mm eyebell... thats pretty crazy. I didnt know that. But now that you mention it, it looks huge. Im guessing the eyebox is huge as well?

Also hate to be kicking a dead horse here... but is there any new news on release? I know im not the only one... but ive been growing visibly older waiting for this scope haha.

thanks -Evan

When are these being released again?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When are these being released again? </div></div>

My senses tell me after my 3rd child is born, And i have none yet.

I would rather S&B not even come out with the news of a new optic in the future. Knowing about something THIS long is just plain aggravating.

My math says that eyebell in a 1.5" mount should clear a 2nd gen MBUS by ~1.85mm, with an additional .035" clearance in the LaRue OBR mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When are these being released again? </div></div>

My senses tell me after my 3rd child is born, And i have none yet.

I would rather S&B not even come out with the news of a new optic in the future. Knowing about something THIS long is just plain aggravating. </div></div>

After Shot show 2012, 2013. and the price is supposed to go up. I just keep waiting and waiting for the leupold 1-8 to have some competition.

I'm interested too to see if anything came out of SHOT 2012. Heard maybe SEP/OCT availability on these?

Sept/Oct would be ridiculous, lets hope these are a month or so away @ most. Can anybody actually nail down a release date from S&B for the 3-20? Rath

After talking with the CEO, it looks like March for the 3-20's and about the same for the 1-8's. They've done a delivery of 600 for the German Army on the 3-20's, the big issue seems to be in the assembly process, which needeed some serious work. Way too time consuming, they seem to have it streamlined and they are building right now.

Its been just a few months away for 2+ years, but I'm still hanging in there, looks to be the perfect optic for a 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anybody actually nail down a release date from S&B for the 3-20? Rath</div></div>

We were told we will be getting ours in March.

Thanks Rob, let's hope so! Rath

I am in need of a scope. To risk waiting or not. I have an international comp booked at the end of May. The 3-20 would be spot on.

S&B please pick your ideas up.

Any word on the reticles offered on the 3-20? are they still offering the P4, P4F, Klein and MSR?

Don't believe the MSR is being offered in the 3-20. Just the 5-25. The H2CMR is available in the 3-20. That's what mine was ordered in. I just checked the German site and it states the P4, P4F, Klein, H2CMR, H58 and H37. Also lists Police which i believe is the standard P3 mildot.

No problem Rath. I hope it's true. I am really looking forward to the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After talking with the CEO, it looks like March for the 3-20's and about the same for the 1-8's. They've done a delivery of 600 for the German Army on the 3-20's, the big issue seems to be in the assembly process, which needeed some serious work. Way too time consuming, they seem to have it streamlined and they are building right now.</div></div>

Yup, it sounds like moving up to this higher magnification ratio has burdened the manufacturing process for not just S&B but Premier and others. Expect more delays...

That 3-20 looks great. Whats the price on that without the horus reticle?When will these be available.

It appears that the 3-20 has undergone some changes since it was initially shown @ shot, specifically the turret appears quite different. I've searched but cannot find any in depth info, can anyone who was @ shot or someone from S&B provide an update?

Thanks,
Rath

Sorry if this has been asked. What's the elevation range on the 3-20? Is it a 50 or 56 objective?

Thanks.

Same elevation as the 5-25.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't believe the MSR is being offered in the 3-20. Just the 5-25. </div></div>

There is a preliminary agreement with S&B that MSR will be available also in PMII 3-20x50. Not in first wave when 3-20x starts shipping, but a bit later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't believe the MSR is being offered in the 3-20. Just the 5-25. </div></div>

There are preliminary agreement with S&B that MSR will be available in PMII 3-20x50. Not in first wave when 3-20x starts shipping, but a bit later. </div></div>

oh really...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garcia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea on the price for the 1-8 ?</div></div>
S&B raised to price to something like $3500...insane.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phm14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$3500.? How 'bout a NF 2.5-10 with a T1 on the side, and $1650. left over? </div></div>

I'm thinking that's ideal for a 5.56, maybe a little more mag for a .308?

If you are going to have a T1/MRD offset, consider a higher mag scope like a 3-15x for longer range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unreconstructed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phm14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$3500.? How 'bout a NF 2.5-10 with a T1 on the side, and $1650. left over? </div></div>

I'm thinking that's ideal for a 5.56, maybe a little more mag for a .308?

If you are going to have a T1/MRD offset, consider a higher mag scope like a 3-15x for longer range. </div></div>

Sure, that'd work. In my case, I went w the 2.5-10/vel. ret. on a SCAR 17s, keeping it light & compact. My bolt gun has the USO Tpal 3.2-17...I could use more mag. there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phm14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$3500.? How 'bout a NF 2.5-10 with a T1 on the side, and $1650. left over? </div></div>

The RMR is another option to consider.

DSC04510.jpg

Added a video from SHOT SHOW 2012.

We have been told a few different ETA on so I'm not sure what to tell any other than when we see them we see them.

Mike @ CST