• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on industrial lasers

nikonNUT

The harbinger of... making things not work anymore
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 6, 2019
    Gunlandia
    Hey guys,
    I have been tasked with finding an engraving laser for work so that we can permanently ID the hydraulic cylinders we make (the stickers aren't cutting it). Material is steel, needs to etch deep enough to be visible post paint job, and ideally would be able to do sequential serial numbers automatically (our employees aren't the brightest when it comes to computers). Guessing my budget is in the $100K range. I know someone on here messes with stuff like this all the time. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

You might contact a company called VideoJet.......
    When I worked for a major soft drink company we used their laser coders to code plastic soft drink bottles. I know plastic is different than metal, but this was over 20 years ago........they are one of the big players in this type of thing.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    These guys actually know what they're talking about.

When I built a 7.5w handheld they provided all the places to source the components. There is a specific forum for CO2 laser engraving, which is probably what you want for steel...

One of my clients runs an Amada CO2 that can go from engraving on an aluminum can to cutting 1/4" at 400" per second. Probably a little much for your use.

We use Tykma at work for similar stuff.

It will auto advance serial numbers just by opening the door.

If marking on the OD, look into a rotary for it.

Pretty sure OP wants Fiber vs C02. But the sales guy will have that convo with him.

I would love to go the Amada route but that might indeed be more than I need!

We use Tykma at work for similar stuff.

It will auto advance serial numbers just by opening the door.

If marking on the OD, look into a rotary for it.
    Liking this one a lot! I've reached out as we have some rams in the 5" x 120" range so the roller table is gonna have to stout! Looking forward to hearing from them! Thank you for all the great suggestions! Keep them coming!