• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors school me on shotgun chokes

HOOFER

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2007
lewistown, MT, Colorado
i have an 1100 that i run for 3 gun. i dont know what choke is in it. i use the one that came with it, its fine for 3 gun, bird shot and slugs. i am looking to start throwing this gun in the truck when coyote hunting, and want to be able to throw 00 buck pretty tight. whats the best choke for this, i have heard you cant run a full choke with 00 buck is this true?

thanks in advance

Re: school me on shotgun chokes

I'd start with what you've got on a patterning board just as you would if hunting with a rifle. Different combinations of loads and chokes will do different things. I know a number of people have had good luck with #4 buck and modified. Also, dead coyote and hevi-shot have been used for yotes as well.

yeah ive heard of the dead coyote stuff, and there only 37 bucks from cabelas. i assume shooting 00buck through this would still be ok. i just dont wanna buy a choke that i can only use 3 dollar a shot shells through. has anyone shot slugs through one of these

My experience in trying to get good groups with OO buck and a choke involved trying different brands of buck until I found something that shot with the choke I wanted or changing chokes until I found the choke that shot the best with the load that I was trying. Bottom line is if you want to keep a mod choke in the gun for all around performance then you may have to experiment with loads and vice versa.

I don't think it even matters. You're not going to get very much range with buckshot, and a tighter choke isn't going to help much.

If you want to kill coyotes beyond 30 yards, get a rifle.

you are mostlikely running a modified choke, and im sure that will work well for most shooting you plan on doing. with buck you are not going to gain much going much tighter than that.

I agree with posts above. The most common choke that comes with shotguns is MOD (modified). It a good pattern overall, but for a tighter pattern go with a full or extra full, but if you want to kill yotes farther than 30 or so yards then a rifle is what you want.

I have killed a lot of coyotes with #4 buck and a light mod choke.

Inside 50 yards, its down.