• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me - TRG-22 on order - which ammo?

Shadowboxer

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2012
Hi All,

I have a Sako TRG-22 .308 with 20" barrel on order.

I'm curios as to which ammo you've had the best luck with. 168? 175? Other?

Also, any tips or info that as a new owner I may find helpful?

Thanks!

Re: School me - TRG-22 on order - which ammo?

What twist rate barrel is that coming with? I would choose what ever fits the bill, both probably would run well in that rifle. I like the 168 or 175 that shoot tighter groups. MY 308 all run well with Federal Match or Hornady Match. They always seem to run great. Plus the rifle you got should shoot anything good, that's what quality rifles do.

Sorry - should have stated it's a 1 in 11 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tommyc279</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What twist rate barrel is that coming with? I would choose what ever fits the bill, both probably would run well in that rifle. I like the 168 or 175 that shoot tighter groups. MY 308 all run well with Federal Match or Hornady Match. They always seem to run great. Plus the rifle you got should shoot anything good, that's what quality rifles do. </div></div>

My TRG runs like a house on fire with Federal Match 175s, Copper Creek 175s, and Southwest 175s.

Also, you are going to love your TRG. It will be dependable, accurate, and has a wonderful 2 stage trigger. I run the Sako bipod as well and I love it but it's not cheap. What scope are you going to use with it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I run the Sako bipod as well and I love it but it's not cheap....</div></div>

+1 Definitely get the Sako bipod. It's pricy but rock solid.

Applied Ballistics Berger 175gr OTM
SWA 175gr SMK
Setpoint Ammunition 175gr Berger OTM with 44gr Varget @ 2.8"
All of these group very consistently. Last time out the Setpoint Custom printed the tightest groups for me.

My experience is a TRG shoots damn near anything well.

Great rifle choice, and good luck.

I'm shooting out 200 yrds with 168 Federal Premium, but a friend only shoots 175gr and has a range to shoot out to 500yrds.

Currently run a Harris bipod, but have a GG&G XDS-2 on the way. I just took off my Leupold MK-4 and went with a Schmidt & Bender PM2. I haven't even shot it yet with the new glass.

I have one or two boxes of Lake City 175 that was given to me. Doubt I'll ever shoot it. I trust the newer ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cacciatore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I run the Sako bipod as well and I love it but it's not cheap....</div></div>

+1 Definitely get the Sako bipod. It's pricy but rock solid. </div></div>

+1

My TRG22 with 26" shot this CBS @ 300 m with Remington Premier 168gr SMK HPBT

23062012064.jpg

I normally shoot 155gr Lapua Scenar @ 860m/s up to 1000m and it is perfect.

You will love it.

I agree with all that has been said already, especially the factory bipod. There is no other bipod that can keep up! In my experience my TRG is a little picky to bullet selection to get surgical accuracy, but plenty that will scream : 168 & 175 SMK, 155 Scenar, 178 Amax all have been 1/4-3/8 MOA when I do my part. Also dont bother with the factory pic rail, get a Near or a Spuhr mount. Also I am a big fan of the Near break if not running suppressed.

my TRG doesn't care what ammo is shot through it, it shoot surplus just fine and all match ammo of any weight in tiny groups.
basically, shoot whatever you want in it.

I recommend you try Hornady TAP 168 and HSM 168gr w/A-Max. One of my shooting buddies runs that in his very well. It also worked perfect in my Tikka T3 Tacical. I developed my load on the TAP which is 44.5 gr Varget, 168gr A-MAx manual spec on COL. Over 3k rds with this load so far

I deer hunt with my 26 incher and I haven't found anything better than Black Hills 180 Accubonds. I've tried FGMM, TAP, Hornady Match, Winchester, the lighter Black Hills stuff and some of Federal hunting loads.

I managed a 7 shot group under an inch at 200 last time I had the rifle out at the range.

The Accubonds will smash Kansas whitetail. Meaning, it'll knock deer approaching 300 pounds, my largest has been a shade over 280, in the dirt.

That load is supposed to stay supersonic to about 1170 yards out of my rifle with my silencer giving me about 35 fps boost.

Thanks all. I have a S&B scope.

Also, I was going to use the Harris bipod. Do I really need to spend the money on the Sako one?

Does the Sako bipod allow you to adjust level of the rifle on uneven ground like the Harris does?

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugaboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cacciatore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I run the Sako bipod as well and I love it but it's not cheap....</div></div>

+1

My TRG22 with 26" shot this CBS @ 300 m with Remington Premier 168gr SMK HPBT

23062012064.jpg

I normally shoot 155gr Lapua Scenar @ 860m/s up to 1000m and it is perfect.

You will love it.

</div></div>

Dam!...I think that's the tightest group I've ever seen from a Factory (Tactical) Fifle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shadowboxer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all. I have a S&B scope.

Also, I was going to use the Harris bipod. Do I really need to spend the money on the Sako one?

Does the Sako bipod allow you to adjust level of the rifle on uneven ground like the Harris does?

Thanks!</div></div>

Yes and Yes! But I'd work/save my way up on the accessories. You just drop that kind of $$$ on the rifle, it's not like the Harris is unusable. Just save up and maybe find a deal on a used one or something, though I have yet to see a used SAKO Bipod come up anywhere...I guess people Do Love them That Much...For a good reason!

I ran a haris on mine for a bit, it worked alright. Fyi the sling adapter that comes with the rail wont work with a haris, its too big and wont allow the harris to tighten down all the way. I made one for the time i ran the haris on mine. Just put an atlas with the trg adapter on it last weekend.... Tits! I like it, can't wait to kill some prairie dogs out west this weekend. Your going to like that trg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGTOOTH5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dam!...I think that's the tightest group I've ever seen from a Factory (Tactical) Fifle... </div></div>

It is not a group, it is 1 hit - Cold Bore Shot. Thanks to Kestrel-Horus and the fantastic rifle. ANd the ammo is not bad either.

I just received my GG&G XDM-2 and T rail adaptor for my TRG and put the Harris on the shelf. This is much more stiff and the 45 degree cant! I'm happy. Looks great too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My TRG runs like a house on fire with Federal Match 175s, Copper Creek 175s, and Southwest 175s.

Also, you are going to love your TRG. It will be dependable, accurate, and has a wonderful 2 stage trigger. I run the Sako bipod as well and I love it but it's not cheap. What scope are you going to use with it?</div></div>

X2 on PatrickChewing

Mine loves Federal GMM 175 I am currently reloading 175 SMK and having good luck with it. It did well with 168 SMK but the groups went from .5 with 168 to .25 with 175.

As far as the bi-pod, I passed on the the factory and went with the Atlas.

I also have a Near MFG brake for sale that I took off of mine. It makes it hit like a .22 PM if your intersted.

Just noticed there is a Sako bipod up for sale for $ 300.

no affiliation

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cacciatore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I run the Sako bipod as well and I love it but it's not cheap....</div></div>

+2 they are great but you got to really want is as they are usually around $400

My Sako loves 155 grn Scenars and 175 grn Siera Match Kings.

Kill Box,
How much money and my SAKO factory break would it set me back?
Is it that much better than the factory break?
I just couldn't do the $ 225, well, now $ 250 for the NEAR break.

I'm just a bench shooter, what would be the advantage for a once a month shooter?

I'm not slamming, I'll swap ya!?!?

That factory break is pretty darn awesome! I am also using it on my .300 WM and it still felt great to shoot.

I have shot mine out to 700 meters with FGMM 168 with great success. I'm not good enough of a shooter yet to tell the difference between 168 and 175. I would say that if most of your shooting is inside 500m 168 will serve you well. If you are going to be shooting longer ranges then I think going to 175 will be better suited.
Experiment, have fun!

I shoot hand loads but 168 or 175 FGMM should get MOA or better results. +1 for the TRG bipod especially if you can find an older one. The legs on the older ones are set a little wider and it looks better IMO. Also don't forget your cheek spacer and buttpad spacer. A member by the name of Terje338 makes toolless spacers that are a little pricey but they are awesome. I use the Near rail and alphamount but the sphur is top notch as well.

My 26" TRG shoots sub-half MOA with 175gr SMKs and NEW (not even fireformed) Winchester brass. With fireformed brass it's even better.

Good info to know. Im looking for the right TRG-22 right now myself. I shot one about a year ago and cant get it off my mind.

Best rifle I have ever owned. Granted, I have never owned an AI, but I have shot a number of them. They are very nice but I can't figure out why they cost $6,000 and a TRG is under half that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shadowboxer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all. I have a S&B scope.

Thanks! </div></div>

Take a look at the Atlas line of bipods .I got mine from Rifles Only and contact Frankythefly for a TRG adapter.
There is a post somewhere in the equipment section about the adapter.

The Sako bipod has some cant that allows you to adjust on mildly uneven ground, about the same or perhaps slightly less than the Harris.