• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Schools Closed Due To Snow Last Night

168BTHPM

Werepig
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    Nevada
    No kidding. Dafuq is this shit? Some places get frost heavier than this.

snow_zpsb1e82d6a.jpg

Re: Schools Closed Due To Snow Last Night

I flew back into Charlotte last week to 55* temps, took off my jacket, drove home under a beautiful cloudless sky to discover my kid was at home for a "snow day."

If Indiana had closed schools when I was a kid like Virginia does now, I would still be making up snow days trying to graduate.

Rick

Now they want him to come in on Sat from 8-11:30 to "make up" the day of 1st grade he missed. That's funny, that is.

Dude, you live in Virginia, that amount is like a blizzard to you guys. Sad is when they cancel school up here for the "threat" of snow. Yes, I have seen them cancel school and not even a flake has hit the ground.

Lawyers. You take any little bus accident in an area that doesn't have regular winter snow and the personal injury attornies swarm like flies.

Funny you guys mention "snow days", up here we have "warm days" where they cancel school and tell everyone to stay home because it is going to get too warm and the roads are going to be slicker than pig shit.

We've had the school closings and 2hr delays and various BS here in north central WV for the entire week because of "abnormally cold temperatures" (low has been ~12 degrees) and snow (today was the first day we've seen ANY snow to speak of and it isn't much more than what is in 168's pic above (well under an inch total).

One county close to me has already missed almost 2 weeks of instruction this year and we are nowhere even close to the meat of winter weather yet. It isn't a wonder kids are falling behind on test scores and in comparison to other countries!! The one county I mentioned has utterly failed to meet its minimum days of instruction for so many years now I have lost count. PATHETIC!! I don't want to sound like one of those old men who gripe and complain about how rough they had it growing up, but if school got cancelled when I was young, we had a foot of snow, were under a declared state of emergency, or it was the first week of buck/gun season (no kidding)!
    wink.gif

Where I live they used to cancel school because of rain but we never made up a day on Saturday for anything. They do that now because of money they get for the kids attendance.

During the "Ice Blizzard" a couple years ago that hit north Texas, I had college classes at UNT cancelled for a week. Mainly because the people around here I have absolutely no idea on how to drive in those conditions. It's not so much the atmospheric conditions, it's that people go all bat-shit crazy when it comes to driving in those conditions.

it was -15 below this morning at 630. Woke my son up and went to school. Just another day in CNY!

We have a winter weather advisory for SE TN Friday morning through the afternoon. I have no doubt they'll close schools because of the possibility. Crazy stuff.

Lived in Fairbanks, AK and the only time they closed school in the winter was for warm weather when it would rain on top of the frozen ground. Not much you can do with a solid sheet of ice.

Charlie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body">During the "Ice Blizzard" a couple years ago that hit north Texas, I had college classes at UNT cancelled for a week. Mainly because the people around here I have absolutely no idea on how to drive in those conditions. It's not so much the atmospheric conditions, it's that people go all bat-shit crazy when it comes to driving in those conditions. </div></div>

LOL, as uch as I like Texas you all have the worst drivers in the country, snow or no snow. The closer you get to Austtin, exp on I 35, the moe lunatic it gets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spartan67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it was -15 below this morning at 630. Woke my son up and went to school. Just another day in CNY! </div></div>

I grew up in NW Montana and we never had a day of school canceled because of weather. I would walk to high school in 10 below weather. The only day I remember school was closed for anything other than a holiday was one winter the furnace went out in the junior high school and it got really cold inside the building, we missed one day of junior high school then had to go to the high school gym for classes for two days until the furnace was fixed.

Years ago I went out to Norfolk, Virginia during college to work on ship engines for a few weeks. They had a snow like that while I was there. The place shut down. I couldn't believe it. Still have a hard time believing it.
    I am on a school board. As I understand, it is illegal to have make up days on Saturday on MT.

Another thing that is really funny when it snows here, everyone lines up nose to tail in the slow lane on the freeway and drives 25mph with their flashers on, all the way to the nearest grocery store. Then they buy all the bread, milk and beer in the store, just in case they get snowed in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Indiana had closed schools when I was a kid like Virginia does now, I would still be making up snow days trying to graduate.

Rick</div></div>

Well said, sir!!!

WV schools get cancelled and delayed just so they can keep us dumb!!

If people around here ever got educated and realized how hard our politicians were screwing everybody there'd be mass rioting. There wouldnt be a trailer in sight that still had Windows!!

Pretty much sums up what America is turning into... Pussy's! Our school district was called D.C.E. We knew it as "Doesn't Cancel Ever" I can count on one hand the number of snow days we had from elementary school through high school, we got snow then, and cold weather. Lawyers and Liberals douching up the system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No kidding. Dafuq is this shit? Some places get frost heavier than this.

snow_zpsb1e82d6a.jpg
    </div></div>

I'm sorry, is there snow there? We can get that much in June!

In cincinnati we laugh at that crap. Last year we had a total of 5". This year so far 1.5". The thing that gets me is I have to listen to all the News anchors describe this new thing they have discovered to melt the stuff called SALT! They act like it is a new discovery. Show pictures of the salt pile at the service department and everything. You can't believe it but that stuff works better at 30 degrees than it does if it's 0 outside, imagine that. Tell me more Mr. weather man. I also want to know if you are using an abundance of left over salt because it was left over from last year. Stay off the roads because there what? slippery? Really? At least these guys are predictable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sausage man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In cincinnati we laugh at that crap. Last year we had a total of 5". This year so far 1.5". The thing that gets me is I have to listen to all the News anchors describe this new thing they have discovered to melt the stuff called SALT! They act like it is a new discovery. Show pictures of the salt pile at the service department and everything. You can't believe it but that stuff works better at 30 degrees than it does if it's 0 outside, imagine that. Tell me more Mr. weather man. I also want to know if you are using an abundance of left over salt because it was left over from last year. Stay off the roads because there what? slippery? Really? At least these guys are predictable. </div></div>

What I always get enjoyment out of is when they come out with a "better mix" of the salt and chemicals. The night before the storm they tell you this new, more expensive shit works better. The next morning you wake up to here there were still 63 wrecks, 14 rollovers and 6 dead because of the storm, and it's not even 8 am.... Then they make excuses on why their new pixie dust didn't work as well as their tests show.

Or if we didn't get any snow ( contrary to their predicted 12-14") its because of a "last minute developing high pressure front" that unexpectedly changed things. More bull shit spun than a politician.