• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope $2000-$2500

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I have a new custom 300 Win Mag that I need a new scope for.

Give me your advice. There are so many damn choices.

I would prefer the following, but I understand there may not be a scope with all my requests.

Variable 25x minimum

FFP or SFP with reticle accurate at highest magnification.

34mm tube

56mm objective

Locking turrets

Mil

No Reticle I MUST have but I do want something in mil.

Illuminated reticle

Please give your options and or advice.

If you don't mind bumping your 2500 to 2700, you could get a Steiner 5-25 demo unit from sport optics. The only thing that the Steiner doesn't have is locking turrets. Also, if you were to wait until the summer I believe Steiner is coming out with their updated MSR reticle version. Some people complain at full mag the crosshairs are too large for their taste. It is fine for me but then I haven't taken it out really far; I just have it on a 700p in 308.

Last edited:
Where did you hear the 2014 ATACR reticle subtension is only accurate at 10X?
I'm pretty sure that is not correct.
Also, the ATACR has zero stop, but no locking turrets you had on your list.

No such scope exists at your price range currently. Maybe in the near future the new Vortex Razor might fit your bill if it's street price is that low.

Where did you hear the 2014 ATACR reticle subtension is only accurate at 10X?
I'm pretty sure that is not correct.
Also, the ATACR has zero stop, but no locking turrets you had on your list.

I heard it from a dealer down here. He went to shot show and said they were going back to the NXS style 10X reticle. If you know otherwise please let me know. Until I heard that, the ATACR was my first choice.

I liek the new Bushnell but it is not illuminated.

I heard it from a dealer down here. He went to shot show and said they were going back to the NXS style 10X reticle. If you know otherwise please let me know. Until I heard that, the ATACR was my first choice.

I liek the new Bushnell but it is not illuminated.
The ATACR is most definitely calibrated to be 1/1 at 25x.

My vote would be the Nightforce ATACR or Kahles 624i if you can bump your price point up a little.....and depending on what focal plane you want the reticle to be in. Give us a call. Sounds like you need a new optics dealer.

The Razor is worth looking at as well.

You can get killer deals on used scopes here in the FOR SALE section, if you don't might buying used. Most of the high end used scopes in your range will offer life-time warranties, so you can purchased used with a degree of comfort that your investment can be repaired if something is wrong. I have purchased every scope I currently own on here used and everyone of them is top-notch, bought in very smooth transactions and saving me thousands of $'s.

I'm am looking to replace a Vortex PST and my replacement budget is the same. My other scope is used NXS that I bought, which I have been very happy with. I like the zerostop that NF uses, great glass even in mirage. I spent some time at Cabalas looking through the ATACR, its hard to tell indoor but it was bright and clear. While I haven't had a chance to look at the Kahles, the parallax on the top turret is a nice touch since I'm a left handed shooter.

Leaning IOR 6-24X56 35mm tube. It has everything I want except locking turrets. One of my buddies shoots competitively and loves his.

I can say that it is one of the clearest and brightest scopes I have ever looked through. It looks like the glass is made by the same Zeiss producer.

It is built like a tank too. I have been seeing a lot more people use them. I think they are/were very under rated.

Besides IOR, I like the Steiner an Khales.

Just bought the IOR 6-24x56 at the Tulsa gun show 2 weekends ago. Haven't had time to mount it yet but hope to this weekend. Love the extreme 1 reticle they have. Do not know street price but list is about $2300.

Another vote for ATACR just got mine this week from Sport Optics and its honestly awesome just mounted it today and did a tracking test it performed amazing return to zero works just as advertised. This was my first high end scope so I am a little biased to it. Yet I have been more than happy with this scope the overall craftsmansip seems top notch as to be expected. Nice glass is like seeing boobs for the first time once you seen em you want to see em all

Just bought the IOR 6-24x56 at the Tulsa gun show 2 weekends ago. Haven't had time to mount it yet but hope to this weekend. Love the extreme 1 reticle they have. Do not know street price but list is about $2300.

I have a buddy who is a dealer. He can get me out the door around 1900.

I have read that are probably one of the clearest scopes you can buy.

I'm using the IOR 4-28x50 40mm Recon on my 308 and there is no comparison with my NXS. The Schott Glass is the clearest of any scope I have looked through.

Not sure why you're fixed on 25X, but the 5-20 Razor is on the street now for $2499, FFP, Mil, and I'm very happy with mine.

1911fan

I am not stuck on 25x. Read the original post where he said he wanted 25x. Just trying to stay with what the OP wanted in his specs.

You are right the original Razor 5-20x is a great scope and the street price is below $1999. Usually between $1649(Cameraland "demos") to around $1850. Hopefully you didn't pay $2499 as you paid way too much.

I'm using the IOR 4-28x50 40mm Recon on my 308 and there is no comparison with my NXS. The Schott Glass is the clearest of any scope I have looked through.

I have looked at this scope. I like it a lot. I am just worried about rings. The ones that Valdada makes look a little flimsy. Can you shed any light on what rings you use?

You are right the original Razor 5-20x is a great scope and the street price is below $1999. Usually between $1649(Cameraland "demos") to around $1850. Hopefully you didn't pay $2499 as you paid way too much.

I didn't, thanks. Currently running the EBR-2B reticle and like it a lot, especiall like the .25MOA gap in the center of the crosshairs. Perfect for FTR, and great for steel as well.

1911fan