• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing scope bases coming loose in less then 6 months

Ring

Rifle Instructor
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Medina, Ohio
sites.google.com
WTF... clean the threads, use blue locktite, torque to 16in

have done 4 guns now and all when i go to recheck them for the end of the season were all finger loose...

in ready to JB the fuckers to the action at this point...

Re: scope bases coming loose in less then 6 months

Bed them. Then clean the screws and holes with acetone, and torque them down. One drop of green wicking Locktite to the HEAD of the screw and clean the hole in the top of the screw with a Q-Tip. The Locktite will secure the head but won't penetrate to the threads. This from JD Jones of Mag-Na-Port fame. He says that, "Life is too short for thread lockers on the threads". Works for me.

Just a thought, did you degrease the thread holes and screws before you mounted your bases. I also take an aditional step and use thier Thread locker prep spray but then again I don't use Loctite I use Permatex and their brand products. Local mechanics told me the loctite stuff was inferior to the Permatex don't know how true that is but I haven't had any issues since using it. Also additionally there is a setup time didn't know if you were aware of that or not.

loctite is Permatex... i worked in the factory where they made that crap... stunk like fast orange..

I suspect the base and rings are aluminum and the scope weighs over 25 ounces?

Reactions: Hawkwood