• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Cant ?

winxp_man

Firearm Pimp
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
Sacto, CA
Hey guys a little bit ago there was a thread about scope cant and how to build a some devices to help with installing a scope straight on the rifle. If anyone can please post a like. I did a search everywhere here and I just dont seem to come up with anything.

regards-

Re: Scope Cant ?

I personally use the feeler gauge method, that is if there is a flat on the bottom of the scope. If not that, then put a level on the scope rail to level the rifle, and then put a level on the scope elevation turrent. This won't always level the reticle, as some are not level with the scope erector.

Is the scope you are working on the Hawke?? Just curious...

DK

What I did yesterday was to take a chalk line to the range with me and snap it on the target stand at 50 yds, then set up the rifle on the bipod on a concrete bench rest table. Carry your torque wrench with you. Line the reticle up on it and tighten it down.

Until you get to the range and get behind the rifle it's hard to tell exactly where you want the scope anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally use the feeler gauge method, that is if there is a flat on the bottom of the scope. If not that, then put a level on the scope rail to level the rifle, and then put a level on the scope elevation turrent. This won't always level the reticle, as some are not level with the scope erector.

Is the scope you are working on the Hawke?? Just curious...

DK</div></div>

Ya its a Hawke 4-14x42 Sidewinder Tac, and wanted to check to see if its level I looks ok but I wanted to check for canting of the reticle for long range shooting. So far it looks fine but to do a cant test you will have to get the scope as level as possible I guess for some of the readings.

I would buy a small, cheap, bubble level that will fit in your receiver on the bolt rails. Stick it in there and level the rifle. Then put a bubble or digital level on your vertical turret and get them both level. I usually hang a plumb line to check for reticle cant after ive done the rest. There was some in a SS 3-9 i had. There is NONE on my nightforce.

Check out Darrell Holland's website. http://www.hollandguns.com/
There was a video clip on that site that showed how to verify that your vertical crosshair was actually vertical. Basically, you place a paper target at 25 yards, draw a vertical line on the target using a level. Then sight in on the target making sure that during each shot your vertical crosshair was lined up on the vertical line on the target. After you have your shots hitting the vertical line, put 20 MOA on your scope's elevation setting and refire at the 25 yard target with your vertical crosshair again lined up on the vertical line on the target. If your shot hits the vertical line then your scope is set level.

The iphone has a program that is way more accurate than any bubble also the iphone 4 has flat on the bottom making it easier. i had mine accurate to 0.1 degree! i then checked it against some vertical lines to see if it matched and it seemed pretty bang on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MillSpec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The iphone has a program that is way more accurate than any bubble also the iphone 4 has flat on the bottom making it easier.</div></div>

Is this the app you are referring to or is it more like this?

Brian

Found one of these at the gun show today, never seen or even heard of them before, bought it for $3.00 took it to buddies and tried it, total mounting time including removing old scope and rear sight (but using old scope rings) done in less than 10 minutes.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=BQT1001

Looked it up on the internet and apparently everyone who sells scopes has them. One heck of a lot easier to use as well as cheaper than the level-level-level garbage.....