• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope cap touching barrel

Drbobinmo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
Springfield, MO
Just mounted my Razor HD gen2 on my new rifle. Without the defender caps I do have clearance from the bell to the barrel but after adding the cap with its thick rubber ring I lose that clearance. It's not jammed in there since I can slide a piece of card stock paper under it (albeit with a little force) but there is contact.

Will this be be an issue? Or should I look for a different cap that not as thick around the bell?

I've never had an issue with accuracy from a scope cap touching just a little bit. I don't think you'll find a thinner cap unless you get a set of screw in ones like the Tennebraux. Otherwise I have taken a file to the bottom of the scope cap and shaved off a little thickness so it doesn't touch. I haven't done it on the rubber defender caps, but it works great on the butler creek.

run some sand paper back n forth under it until you have desired clearance

Not a joke. Either sandpaper it or mark it and take it off and hit it with a dremel a little. Sounds like very little needs to come off if you can fit something between barrel now.

Pretty sure this is a joke, but damn that's funny either way.....lol

AH grass hopper me thinks you envision sanding barrel:rolleyes:

updated comment to clarify whom i was responding to, the scope cap as rob pointed out

Barrel LMAO

Last edited:
The cap on my rifle looked like it had clearance. I could see daylight. But one day I took the scope off and noticed a shiny spot on the barrel where the cap would rub during recoil. The barrel moves/flexes when you take a shot. So does the scope. I don't think it affected accuracy/precision at all. But it was making contact nonetheless. We spend a lot of time and money making sure the barrel is free-floating, and the stock bedded an all that. So I just went with a slightly taller scope ring. That did the trick. Lucky for me I was using Seekins rings. And Vortex has the same exact ring with their branding on it. But it's like a hair taller. So it was an easy swap.

But yeah, take some sandpaper or a dremel to the bottom of the ring. That should do the trick.