• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope choice: Athlon Argos BTR G2 or Arken SH4 G2

jeremydc

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2021
Guam
Any suggestions on a scope around these price points?

I'm looking for a scope to mount up to my Tikka T1x. Bench shooting and PRS shooting.
I have the Athlon BTR Gen 2 and I like it, but after looking through and Arken and seeing the dot reticle, im enticed, plus there is a discount code "salute" "#GoBrandon" to knock it into the price of the Athlon. However, I'm not too sure about glass quality as it was hard to see without adjusting the reticle (didnt want to mess with someones scope).

Anyways, any thoughts of a good scope? Kind of on a budget here but if there is something a little more, but worth the price, I may consider. I was also looking at the Midas Tac on Amazon currently going for $529 since I've heard great things about this scope.

Thoughts?
-Athlon Argos BTR G2 $368
-Arken Sh4 G2 $350
-Athlon Midas Tac $529

These are prices I see now and am okay with, unless you guys think there will be some black friday sale for good scopes? Any input appreciated!

I can tell you from my personal experience as I have the Argos and the Midas Tac with a APLR4 reticle. The Midas Tac is substantially better than the argos from the zero stop, glass, retical and overall feel. I cant speak for the Arken.. yet. ;). The zoom ring on the argos has alway been tough until I dropped some lube into the ring and the zero stop on the argos uses washers so it is not a true zero stop like the Midas.

Ive owned an arken sh4 gen2 and an Athlon Midas btr gen2.
As far as clarity, the midas was a little better to my eye. I also have a 5-25 midas tac. The glass is about the same as the btr.

I initially got an Athlon Argos BTR 6-20x50mm for my new Tikka T3X UPR in January. I will say- I think it's worth every dime for the price and can't complain. I should state that I actually got the first-generation, despite it was an ad for Gen2, but I read a few posts saying that they might have actually used more expensive glass in the first-gen, so I didn't complain and kept it.

Having said that, I read multiple people say that their same scope "would become flurry" or fuzzy at higher magnifications, and that was definitely something I experienced. Once I got about 12-15 it was more noticeable the higher you went. Athlon has a lot of features built into the products but to keep the price down, on this scope, it has their entry-level glass, and I guess I could tell. I wound up biting the bullet and buying a Brownell's MPO (completely different ballpark) and could not be happier.

Again- I can't complain for the $300-ish price ...but if you're wanting to crank it up and shoot far, it might have the same issues.

I initially got an Athlon Argos BTR 6-20x50mm for my new Tikka T3X UPR in January. I will say- I think it's worth every dime for the price and can't complain. I should state that I actually got the first-generation, despite it was an ad for Gen2, but I read a few posts saying that they might have actually used more expensive glass in the first-gen, so I didn't complain and kept it.

Having said that, I read multiple people say that their same scope "would become flurry" or fuzzy at higher magnifications, and that was definitely something I experienced. Once I got about 12-15 it was more noticeable the higher you went. Athlon has a lot of features built into the products but to keep the price down, on this scope, it has their entry-level glass, and I guess I could tell. I wound up biting the bullet and buying a Brownell's MPO (completely different ballpark) and could not be happier.

Again- I can't complain for the $300-ish price ...but if you're wanting to crank it up and shoot far, it might have the same issues.
This^^. I had the same issue with my Argos on high magnifications shooting 600+ yards and I expected to have that issue with my midas but i did not. I ran the midas from 1300 yards to a mile the other week and was impressed for the money. Now was it equal to my buddies NF, no but I cant argue with the price i paid vs performance.

Reactions: Ser Arthur Dayne
I know your on a budget but I would buy better glass than you think will be OK now. I have two Trijicon 5-50x56s
and I really like every feature that they offer. I have an old Leupold 6.5 x20 EFR that is still very nice but lacks the
current niceties that are offered like the side mounted PA. I have 5 other scopes from the same manufacture that I wish
I had never bought. Only the top two of their offerings are even worth considering but at that price point, I may as well
get the Trijicons. I also suggest to anyone that they send their gun to Lapua for lot testing. I have sent four guns in and the
groups can double in size simply from changing lot numbers. IE: V22 gen 1 shooting .32"ctc with a decent lot of Center X
and .7" with a poor lot. The Bergara performed in a similar fashion with good and bad lots.

Attachments

• VUDOO V22.JPG
    VUDOO V22.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 7-21-21-A.jpg
    7-21-21-A.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 255
  • Love
Reactions: Ser Arthur Dayne
I own both and the Midas TAC as well, of the two the Arken is better. Glass is subjective but I find it much brighter most likely because of the 34mm tube. Better turret feel and hash mark alignment, better reticle IMO, more elevation travel, better zero stop. The only downside is the illumination on the Arken flaresat higher settings but it is usable in darker conditions on low settings.

Reactions: FuhQ
I have both the Arken and the Midas Tac. The Arken is a pretty good scope for the money, but my only objection is that it is big and heavy (36 oz). The Midas, IMO, takes the edge on optical clarity and has a great reticle, as well as being more compact and lighter. If you are benchrest shooting, I recommend a scope with more magnification. I use a Sightron S3 10-50 with the MOA-2 reticle. With black Friday sneaking up on us, you might find a good deal on one of these.

I have both the Arken and the Midas Tac. The Arken is a pretty good scope for the money, but my only objection is that it is big and heavy (36 oz). The Midas, IMO, takes the edge on optical clarity and has a great reticle, as well as being more compact and lighter. If you are benchrest shooting, I recommend a scope with more magnification. I use a Sightron S3 10-50 with the MOA-2 reticle. With black Friday sneaking up on us, you might find a good deal on one of these.
CameraLand has Sightrons 1/2 off I believe.

I don't have any experience with the Arken but do have 3 of the Athlon Argos BTR Gen II scopes ( 6-24x50, 8-32x56, 10-40x56). I like them allot for my (non competitive) rimfire use. Two minor complaints with them though. 1) Sunshade and throw lever are not included 2) Elevation is limited as compared to some other scopes. ( The 6-24x50 having the most at 65 MOA) . The Argos are often on sale for 10% off your listed price if you decide to go that way.
That said, my new favorite is the new 5-25x56 Vortex Venom. They can be had for just over $400 (on sale) with a sunshade and throw lever. They have 34mm tubes, fairly bright glass and 85 MOA adjustment. The 7C recital has also grown on me to be a favorite. Worth a look .

I don't have any experience with the Arken but do have 3 of the Athlon Argos BTR Gen II scopes ( 6-24x50, 8-32x56, 10-40x56). I like them allot for my (non competitive) rimfire use. Two minor complaints with them though. 1) Sunshade and throw lever are not included 2) Elevation is limited as compared to some other scopes. ( The 6-24x50 having the most at 65 MOA) . The Argos are often on sale for 10% off your listed price if you decide to go that way.
That said, my new favorite is the new 5-25x56 Vortex Venom. They can be had for just over $400 (on sale) with a sunshade and throw lever. They have 34mm tubes, fairly bright glass and 85 MOA adjustment. The 7C recital has also grown on me to be a favorite. Worth a look .
Nice! Any resource or site for those scopes with those prices? I mainly just see whatever is on Amazon as Amazon runs random promotions with credit card points.

Nice! Any resource or site for those scopes with those prices? I mainly just see whatever is on Amazon as Amazon runs random promotions with credit card points.
Some don't like them but I've had excellent luck with Optics Planet. They tend to be a little cheaper on Athlon and Vortex scopes than Amazon and usually run 10 %+ off promotions every other week ( Black Friday sale should be a decent one). I've bought scopes, barrels, trigger and stocks from them this year with no complaints. I then take the money I save and support the little/local guy.

Any suggestions on a scope around these price points?

I'm looking for a scope to mount up to my Tikka T1x. Bench shooting and PRS shooting.
I have the Athlon BTR Gen 2 and I like it, but after looking through and Arken and seeing the dot reticle, im enticed, plus there is a discount code "salute" "#GoBrandon" to knock it into the price of the Athlon. However, I'm not too sure about glass quality as it was hard to see without adjusting the reticle (didnt want to mess with someones scope).

Anyways, any thoughts of a good scope? Kind of on a budget here but if there is something a little more, but worth the price, I may consider. I was also looking at the Midas Tac on Amazon currently going for $529 since I've heard great things about this scope.

Thoughts?
-Athlon Argos BTR G2 $368
-Arken Sh4 G2 $350
-Athlon Midas Tac $529

These are prices I see now and am okay with, unless you guys think there will be some black friday sale for good scopes? Any input appreciated!
Dude, you won't regret the Arken...Espeically with the $100 off coupon right now.

Dude, you won't regret the Arken...Espeically with the $100 off coupon right now.
What's the secret for getting the $100 off? I'm not seeing it on their website and might be tempted to try one for that price.

The arken is a much nicer scope, I waited 3 months for my Arken. great scope but had parallax issues,
Had to send it bad. i believe they have to figure out quality control.

Has anybody tried to use the promo code for Arken,
#LetsGoBrandon and Salute
It's saying not valid.

Anyone know how ling those codes are good for. I plan on ordering my Arken soon, but not immediately

I have a gen 2 argos btr 6x24x50 . the zero stop is a disk with set screw's . The gen 1 had the washers . Just my take the glass goes to hell much past 18x the total elevation travel sucks 18 mil's total . I cannot speak for the Midas tac I don't own one . just save some money and buy the best you can afford if not and you spend 368 dollars only to find out it sucks so you cough up 700.00 for a new scope you now have 1068.00 invested in a 700 dollar optic .

I have a gen 2 argos btr 6x24x50 . the zero stop is a disk with set screw's . The gen 1 had the washers . Just my take the glass goes to hell much past 18x the total elevation travel sucks 18 mil's total . I cannot speak for the Midas tac I don't own one . just save some money and buy the best you can afford if not and you spend 368 dollars only to find out it sucks so you cough up 700.00 for a new scope you now have 1068.00 invested in a 700 dollar optic .
I agree with spending as much as you can but you’ll get your money back out of the Arken quickly at this price.

Just wanted to continue the thread.

I just got the Arken in and this scope is a beast. Once I set the scope and sighted to 100yds, I couldn't be happier especially with the dot sight. I'm literally shooting 1/4" dots without trouble on 16-18 power. So after I had the scope set to me, I love it. I think it is definitely worth its price point with that coupon if its still live.

I also have the Athlon Argos BTR Gen II and I love that scope as well. Super clear, better parallax for me. The killing point for this is the crosshair as it is relatively thick. For my type of shooting, I prefer a dot than a crosshair as the crosshair is hard to shoot matchsticks with at distances.

In terms of glass quality, I think the Athlon is slightly better, but not by much in my opinion. If I were to do it over again, I probably would buy the Arken solely because of my reticle. The fact i can shoot out less than 1/4" targets at 100 yds with my Arken on a T1x makes me extremely happy, way happier than shooting my 457 with my Athlon, Again both scopes are great value, but the reticle is what sells me on the Arken with a dot for a scope in its price point

Just wanted to continue the thread.

I just got the Arken in and this scope is a beast. Once I set the scope and sighted to 100yds, I couldn't be happier especially with the dot sight. I'm literally shooting 1/4" dots without trouble on 16-18 power. So after I had the scope set to me, I love it. I think it is definitely worth its price point with that coupon if its still live.

I also have the Athlon Argos BTR Gen II and I love that scope as well. Super clear, better parallax for me. The killing point for this is the crosshair as it is relatively thick. For my type of shooting, I prefer a dot than a crosshair as the crosshair is hard to shoot matchsticks with at distances.

In terms of glass quality, I think the Athlon is slightly better, but not by much in my opinion. If I were to do it over again, I probably would buy the Arken solely because of my reticle. The fact i can shoot out less than 1/4" targets at 100 yds with my Arken on a T1x makes me extremely happy, way happier than shooting my 457 with my Athlon, Again both scopes are great value, but the reticle is what sells me on the Arken with a dot for a scope in its price point
Thanks for the info. I’ve decided on Arken over the Argos btr. I’ll be ordering next week before the code expires.

Thanks for the info. I’ve decided on Arken over the Argos btr. I’ll be ordering next week before the code expires.
You won't regret the Arken...Especially with the $100 off code "#GoBrandon" right now.

But, right now, if you buy one at full price, you can add the new Precision Pack that's $169.99, and then use the code "SAVE$170" and you get $170 off, so you pretty much get the entire accessory set for free, including a set of rings of your choice. Hard to beat that deal.

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
I ordered an Arken SH4 for my Bergara BMR. I've got an Athlon Midas Tac on another rifle, and it is a fantastic scope for the money. With the $100 coupon code and free shipping, the Arken seems like a steal. USPS says I'll have it on Monday. Since the BMR is going to be used as a base class NRL rifle, the Arken puts the entire rifle setup well blow the MSRP cap. I would have gone with an Athlon, but none of the scopes have a reticle I like for precision rimfire shooting...the Arken reticle has a hollow center with a 0.04" mil center dot....exactly what I was looking for.

I ordered an Arken SH4 for my Bergara BMR. I've got an Athlon Midas Tac on another rifle, and it is a fantastic scope for the money. With the $100 coupon code and free shipping, the Arken seems like a steal. USPS says I'll have it on Monday. Since the BMR is going to be used as a base class NRL rifle, the Arken puts the entire rifle setup well blow the MSRP cap. I would have gone with an Athlon, but none of the scopes have a reticle I like for precision rimfire shooting...the Arken reticle has a hollow center with a 0.04" mil center dot....exactly what I was looking for.
I'd be curious about your comparison between the Arken and the midas tac. I'm assuming the main difference will be the glass quality? Please update when you get the Arken. Thanks

The Arken glass is clear, but, you get what you pay for. When compared to the Midas Tac, yes, I own both I prefer the Athlon. The Arken has MUCH BETTER tactical clicks, and feel, but the glass is the issue. Both of the Arkens I own (4-16 and 6-24) are on air rifles. I am behind the glass a lot. Both Arken scopes have the purple/blue hue/haze on bright days and I don`t like it.

I'll be sure to give a review of Athlon vs Arken.

As per the Arken glass quality, I'm not overly concerned with chromatic aberration, i.e. the purple/blue haze around targets on bright days. It's not a hunting scope, and as long as I can hit my target, that's all I really care about when it comes to light transmission. I'm not expecting Schmidt & Bender levels of glass quality from a $400 scope. I am very happy with the tactile feel of the Midas Tac turrets...they are better than any Vortex I've handled. The only feature that is missing from my Midas Tac is an illuminated reticle...not that I've ever needed it, but it might be nice to have just for the one to two times I am hunting in low light.

I'm excited to get the Arken mounted up on Monday...I just hope USPS doesn't keep me waiting too long...I've got a range shoot scheduled for Wednesday.

Boy...Amazon has really ruined me for shipping time expectations...If I don't get something I two days, I feel like it's taking forever!

I'll be sure to give a review of Athlon vs Arken.

As per the Arken glass quality, I'm not overly concerned with chromatic aberration, i.e. the purple/blue haze around targets on bright days. It's not a hunting scope, and as long as I can hit my target, that's all I really care about when it comes to light transmission. I'm not expecting Schmidt & Bender levels of glass quality from a $400 scope. I am very happy with the tactile feel of the Midas Tac turrets...they are better than any Vortex I've handled. The only feature that is missing from my Midas Tac is an illuminated reticle...not that I've ever needed it, but it might be nice to have just for the one to two times I am hunting in low light.

I'm excited to get the Arken mounted up on Monday...I just hope USPS doesn't keep me waiting too long...I've got a range shoot scheduled for Wednesday.

Boy...Amazon has really ruined me for shipping time expectations...If I don't get something I two days, I feel like it's taking forever!
If you have looked through an S&B made in the last 10 years, you can't expect S&B quality glass in an S&B scope. 🤣

The last batch I looked through had that horrible 1980's Tasco yellow tint to them. It was terrible. It was like looking through a BSA air rifle scope for $19.99 from Wally World. It was horrendous. I would have bought an Arken over that batch of PMII's. And that's not even a joke. 3 other people looked through them at the store, and was like, "WTF.....😧"

I'd be curious about your comparison between the Arken and the midas tac. I'm assuming the main difference will be the glass quality? Please update when you get the Arken. Thanks
The Arken turrets are going to blow you away, as well as how solid the zero-stop is. Returns to true-zero every time. The tracking is insane for a $500 scope. I've been so impressed, I'm considering ordering a 3rd one before the end of the year, to get the $100 off.

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
If you have looked through an S&B made in the last 10 years, you can't expect S&B quality glass in an S&B scope. 🤣

The last batch I looked through had that horrible 1980's Tasco yellow tint to them. It was terrible. It was like looking through a BSA air rifle scope for $19.99 from Wally World. It was horrendous. I would have bought an Arken over that batch of PMII's. And that's not even a joke. 3 other people looked through them at the store, and was like, "WTF.....😧"
This is bs. If this were the case you’d find everyone bitching about them and no one buying them. I have a PMII from 2019 and it’s just below my ZCOs in clarity. There’s no yellow tint or anything else odd except the known tunneling from 5-7ish power.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
IT'S A FESTIVUS MIRACLE! USPS delivered my Arken 2 days early!

By the time I got it mounted up, it was dark o'clock here in AZ, so not able to compare it to the Athlon Midas Tac per optical quality yet. A quick glance before the sun went completely down was promising...nice and clear, crisp reticle.

First of all, it's an absolute TANK of an optic. It weighs just under 37oz. Extremely well packaged. Battery, sunshade, soft cloth, bikini covers, wrench for zero stop included. Turrets are MASSIVE. They have incredibly nice and precise "clicks" to them...I might say even better than the Midas Tac. Both put my Vortex PST to shame in the turret feel department. Parallax and magnification ring are smooth but stiff ( insert "that's what she said" joke here)...but not too stiff. A throw lever would be very nice in colder weather if you like to adjust your magnification a lot...my scope will most likely live on max power. The eye box isn't as forgiving as higher end optics, but it's more than acceptable for a $400 optic.

At first look, it's a nice quality optic for $400...even better that I paid $300 for it, #gobrandon!

For those curious about ring height clearance, the scope is sitting in 34mm rings from "GodTurtle" (stupid name, but nice and only $30 on Amazon...I will replace them with the Arken ring soon). They are 1.26" in height...but plenty of room to lower it. Arken makes a 0.92" Low that I will be switching to soon. There is about 0.38" or 9mm clearance, give or take 1mm or so...plenty of room to fit the Arken low rings.

3UNzvnW.jpg

Last edited:
This is bs. If this were the case you’d find everyone bitching about them and no one buying them. I have a PMII from 2019 and it’s just below my ZCOs in clarity. There’s no yellow tint or anything else odd except the known tunneling from 5-7ish power.
You can call BS all you want, but it's the truth. Even the guy who worked there was going to look into sending them back to S&B. It was terrible. I used to sell S&B years ago at the gun store. I'd never seen anything like it from them before.

You can call BS all you want, but it's the truth. Even the guy who worked there was going to look into sending them back to S&B. It was terrible. I used to sell S&B years ago at the gun store. I'd never seen anything like it from them before.
Please stop. You’re embarrassing yourself.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
Please stop. You’re embarrassing yourself.
The fact you are so butthurt over it, is so sad. Truth is truth.

Refusing to accept facts that some companies truly are living on a legacy and haven't changed anything in 30+ years, and people still pay top-dollar for 30+ year old technology, should be what's embarrassing.

Got to shoot the Arken today on my Bergara BMR side by side with the Midas Tac on my Ruger American Ranch 5.56...

The Arken is very impressive for a $400 scope. Yes, the optical quality could be better in terms of chromatic aberration...but it's a $400 FFP scope. If I were choosing between a Vortex Dback Tactical and the Arken, I'd go Arken all day long and twice on Sundays. The Arken blows the Dback Tactical out of the water...it's not even close. If I hadn't already sold my Dback a while ago, I'd be selling it right now and buying another Arken SH4.

Versus the Midas Tac...I'd have to say it's very close. The Midas Tac certainly has better optical quality, but I'd be willing to give up a little on that quality to have the feature the Arken has on it (illuminated reticle, HUGE turrets). The tactile clicks on the Arken are fantastic...but so are the Midas Tac. The Arken certainly has the largest sized turrets I've eve seen on a scope...the are 1.65" in diameter (vs. the 1.34" on the Midas Tac). The Bergara BMR has a 30 MOA rail on it from the factory, and the Arken had no issue being zeroed at 25 yards...still had lots of room to drop down more if needed.

I paid just under $600 of my Midas Tac, $300 for the Arken. Is the Midas Tac twice the scope? Not quite. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Arken, even to replace my Midas Tac if I needed to.

Ordered my 3rd Arken SH4 6-24x50 VPR MIL today...Well...I guess yesterday now, since it's after midnight. 😏

I'm starting to believe Midway is handling shipping for these guys. 😂
Mine sat 3-4 days but once it left it only took 2 days to get to MI.
First arken I’ve seen, this thing is a beast and i love it. Although my top turret feels a but mushy compared to my windage. Not sure if that’s common

Reactions: FuhQ
Mine sat 3-4 days but once it left it only took 2 days to get to MI.
First arken I’ve seen, this thing is a beast and i love it. Although my top turret feels a but mushy compared to my windage. Not sure if that’s common
2 of my 3 (3rd just shipped out today) feel great. Nothing mushy about any of the 4 turrets. I will say this, my first one, the magnification ring was smooth, but really stiff. But the 2nd one I got the mag ring felt perfect...Just enough tension and smooth as glass.

The way I look at it, performance-wise, it may punch well above its price point, but in the end, it's still a $450 scope, so it's probably not going to be 100% perfect. And as long as it functions 100%, i'm ok with a slightly stiff mag ring, or slightly imperfect parallax adjustments (as long as they're close), etc... But that's just me.

I mean, I've been shooting guns my whole life, anyone else remember how shitty the $450 scopes were 20 years ago? Leupold VX-3 ring a bell? 1" tubes, capped turrets, barely any elevation or windage adjustment range, glass was sub-par, fragile erector sets, etc... 🤣

Anyone try the athlon ares etr against some of those? I know im restoking the post but those 2 optics Ive been struggling to weigh against each other. As well as the Burris xtr 3 line