• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope choice

Bluejazz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
IOWA
Looking for a scope in the 1-8 or 2-10 range with a 30 mm tube and a 40-44 mm objective.
I would like it to have good light gathering ability.And will need illuminated reticle or dot.
This will go on my Savage muzzleloader.
Last year I hunted with the 2.5-10 NXS and did not like the 32 mm objective. Had trouble locating the deer for a quick shot because of critical eye alignment.
This year I am hunting with a Vortex Strikefire which works well for anything under 75 yards but beyond that the lense quality is terrible and when looking thru it, it looks 2 to 3 shades darker than the naked eye and I won't take a longer shot with it.
Any recommendations based on the previously mentioned criteria?

Re: scope choice

Pharm
thanks for the recommendation, but I dont find the 3-9 40mm.
I do see a 3-9 42 mm and it does not seem to be illuminated.

It has been my experience that eye alignment is only critical at the higher magnification ranges of an individual scope as long as it is adjusted reasonably for the range. I normally have my hunting rigs set at lower power ranges for normal hunting and then turn them up if the situation warrants. When I'm mounting the scope I do it at the upper end and the lower ranges are then more foregiving.

Ktm,
I agree.
What I am looking for is a scope that is capable of taking a shot at a running dear at close range at say 1 or 2 power, but capable of making a longer shot at 2-250 yards when magnification is dialed up. Has illuminated reticle and good light gathering capability.
My Savage muzzleloader is capable of moa accuracy out to 300 yards.

the IOR 2.5-10x42 hunter is a pretty sweet optic. They also have a 56mm objective if you really wanted to be able to see in a dark canyon at last light.

I might have found my answer.
Looking at the Vortex 2.5-10 44mm .
It has illumination as well .
Anyone using these scopes?

My only experience with Vortex has been with their binoculars and I am not impressed. Why not buy the Swarovski1.7-10x42 with the illuminated reticle? It will of course cost more than the votex but it will do everything your asking. You won't have the issues you had with your last Vortex either.

Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10x44 maybe? 30mm tube and tons of elevation compared to the 4-16 version. Great glass, never had a problem with the ones I've owned.

Lee.

DJA
did not realize how expensive the swarovski is. Am I looking at the right one you recommended at 2800.00?

Yes the Swaro z6i can get pricey. I usually buy them from Doug at Cameralandny.com when he has some show samples available. You can get them for well under 2k then. That said I use their 3-10x42 with the ML reticle on my NULA 50 cal. The reticle makes hits easy out to 250 yards. It is not illuminated but the glass is great, the reticle works well and it is lightweight. They run $800-900 and for me they are a great choice for a muzzle loader.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might have found my answer.
Looking at the Vortex 2.5-10 44mm .
It has illumination as well .
Anyone using these scopes? </div></div>

Got one a month ago, haven't used it on a rifle yet. Looking at the glass it's decent, could be better (resolution and chromatic aberration), and most of all I find the PST, and a different Viper I owned 2 years ago, extremely sensitive to eye position at maximum zoom, more than other brands of scopes I've tried.

I do like the reticle and the turrets seem terrific, among the best in terms of easy but crisp function.