• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Clearance: Barely Enough Room for a $1 Bill?

Looking at the clearance now, I seriously doubt that it will make contact. To my eyes, the barrel and/or scope would have to flex to the point of breaking to come into contact.

You're probably right but remember that the scope and barrel usually move independently of each other as the harmonic's do their thing. The barrel can be on an upward swing while the scope, which is attached to a different "node" can be on the way down.

Looks to me like you have enough clearance but as always, it pays to check. Put something on the bottom of the cap that will transfer to the barrel if it does hit then check after a few shots. Doesn't cost anything and it does prove that nothings contacting rather than still wondering.

Update: I took the rifle out yesterday for the first time to zero, load test, and chrono. I was feeling pretty confident that there would be no contact, so I didn't even do any kind of targeted testing. I just started shooting. The scope was zeroed in two shots. Every load I put through the rifle shot .5 MOA or better. I would say it's safe too conclude that with my particular setup, there is no contact. The scope will stay as is. Now I just have to get rid of the other set of rings I bought.

Thanks to everyone for your guidance. Particular thanks to Rob01 for preventing me from going to higher rings, which I really didn't want to do.

(Shots 1-6)

(Favorite load, so far)

(Rifle as she sat)