• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Companies: More Of This (But Longer, With More Exemplified Use)

HousePlant

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2020
    For those of us who aren't professional shooters with a trust fund allowing us to have endless shooting experience with a wide variety of scopes and their reticles, videos like this make it possible to understand reticles and their use case in practical application.

Scope manufacturers: why doesn't your website or YouTube channel have this for every reticle?

I just wish the above video was a little longer and had a few more examples at various distances and target sizes, but at least I got to see the reticle in action and that does far more than just looking at it on the website or reading some "reviewer" talk about the subtensions. At first I didn't like the PR2-MIL because it was more line-oriented vs. dot oriented. But seeing this video, I much prefer the lines over my current dot-oriented tree scope.

The design of this Leupold PR2-MIL reticle is to be precise but not as cluttered as their CCH and the Horus varieties. Okay... you can say that, but why don't you show me? Show me the CCH. Show me the PR2-MIL. Show them to me in the [simulated] application(s) they were intended for.

The production cost of doing this isn't high. You have the scope cam. These companies have access to long distance ranges. Run a simulated PRS stage or two. Run a simulated hunting scenario (for hunting scopes with snazzball reticles). Show using the lines and dots and triangles with purpose and benefit. Don't just... provide a PDF! And if you aren't going to do it, if you're going to give scopes to YouTube reviewers, only give them to those with a scope cam and a commitment to run it in the application that scope/reticle was designed for... not some 100 yard range to shoot "bugholes every time" while twisting the turrets back and forth to "test tracking".

Last edited:
    Actually, I didn't. I know you're looking for longer format stuff, but that's in the vein of what you're asking for, isn't it?
    I wasn't the OP. But no I don't think that's what he's referring to. Of course that short video might be helpful for specific application, but that video also didn't cover the reticle at all. Even if you find some anecdotal evidence and see a video here and there, it's not common. So to the OP's main point, the vast majority of these companies do not offer detailed explanations/demonstrations when they easily/cheaply could.

Reactions: HousePlant
    I wasn't the OP. But no I don't think that's what he's referring to. Of course that short video might be helpful for specific application, but that video also didn't cover the reticle at all. Even if you find some anecdotal evidence and see a video here and there, it's not common. So to the OP's main point, the vast majority of these companies do not offer detailed explanations/demonstrations when they easily/cheaply could.

The video I linked to was one intended to be quick, simple, and very narrowly focused. My point was more to see if that was at least in same vein as what he's asking for, just a much longer and more detailed video. If that's the case, maybe I can pull some strings at Bushnell. The video I posted just happened to be one I knew of showing the reticle and actual use through the optic.

Reactions: Makinchips208
    The video I linked to was one intended to be quick, simple, and very narrowly focused. My point was more to see if that was at least in same vein as what he's asking for, just a much longer and more detailed video. If that's the case, maybe I can pull some strings at Bushnell. The video I posted just happened to be one I knew of showing the reticle and actual use through the optic.

Yes, it's in the same vein. More ideally, Bushnell would have some PRS (or whatever, depending on scope/reticle) shooter scope cammed in a real or simulated PRS stage or two (...again, or whatever depending on scope/reticle) shooting. The idea is there's enough variety and complexity in the shooting that you can see the reticle features being used as they were designed to be used... not just a few hold overs that you can accomplish just fine on a Nikon Black Series on the main lines with no tree whatsoever.

Let's see some video of a missed shot... seeing the splash, adjusting to it and getting that next impact. But, hey, because "this reticle" has "this feature" it was easier to do... see. You get my point? Plus some explanation of why the reticle has this that or the other design or feature with an example or two of how it plays out in real life. It's not hard for their own employees to produce. And if it is, all they'd have to do is spend some of their marketing budget with a few of their sponsored shooters and it'd be fun for all of them.

Let's see that particular shooter explain how he/she uses that reticle... what features he/she likes and benefits from and why. Let's see it USED.

Hell, if they want to hire me to produce these things... I won't charge much. Just give me access to the range, a pro shooter/hunter/etc., the scope cam, and someone who can explain the philosophy of the reticle. Would take a day per reticle at worst, maybe 200 rounds of ammo. Not horrible.

Something like these?

This is great! I would have never found this because it's not from Leupold/Nightforce/etc. or a heavily subscribed rifle channel... it's burried in YouTube. In fact I searched about this reticle in particular and didn't even come across it. YouTube is not going to make finding 3rd party random YouTube account shooting content easy. But, a great step in the right direction. Still it's "classroom" -- I love the idea of it. Lets start with this, then go to the field. We have scope cams... let's use them.

Watching the above videos, it'd be awesome if manufacturers provided these transparencies on their website or some obvious instruction to print them.

Last edited:
    I think this isn't just great for selling the reticle, but it also shows other parts of scope quality as well. While not quite the same as looking through it yourself, it gives a great idea of what looking through the scope in actual use is like, what FOVs to expect, if the magnification ranges match what you want, etc.

Much more likely to result in a customer purchasing the right thing for what they're trying to do the first time, which means fewer returns, fewer unhappy customers, more happy ones.

Reactions: HousePlant
    Seen that video before. Excellent content. Still wishing he used a scope cam.

I want that scope and reticle. The price… pain.
    The field results are very good so far. tracks and functions flawlessly, good FOV, easy to "get behind" etc. Glass is decidedly less clear than TT though.....

10 years I couldn’t say that but now I know what my needs and want are and know if I like a reticle at a glance.
    Yea it took me about that long behind more scopes/reticles that i can count to get to the point where I know if it works just looking at the reticle.