• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Decision

doubs43

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2010
GA
I have a 700 SPS-V in .308 that I've put in a B&C Medalist stock. I have an EGW 20 MOA Picatinny rail installed and now I need to make a final decision on a scope to be used for both long range and informal bench rest match shooting out to 200 yards. I'd like to keep cost at or below $400.

I've done my research here and on other sites and I've narrowed my choices to three makes with two others possible. I'd appreciate all suggestions - good or bad - as to my final best decision. My choices, all 30mm tubes, are:

Vortex Viper 6.5~20X44 ($400)
KonusPro M-30 6.5~25X44 or 8.5~32X52 ($300 & $325)
Millett 6~25X56 Buck Gold ($380)

The other two may have too little magnification but seem like decent possibilities:

Falcon Menace 4~14X44 FFP ($385)
WoTac 4~14X50 ($329) I rather like the reticle on this one.

Re: Scope Decision

You have no need for a FFP scope if you are just bench shooting at paper. Look into the fixed power Super Sniper. Such as 16X or 20X

If you don't need the mil-dot reticle the vortex vipers with the v-plex and dot reticles are on sale at many of the vendors for 250 or so.

If matching reticles is important you can also get the mil/mil weaver 3-10. They are 400 now but were on sale for 300. Probably will be on sale again in the future like most midway branded products. Nice scope for the money with some quality glass IMHO. Otherwise the vortex vipers that are on sale right now would be a good pick up.

Thanks to each of you who took the time to reply. I've decided to go with the Viper 6.5~20x50PA with target dot reticle on sale for $279.99 from Camera Land. I've just placed my order and hope to have the scope by Friday or Monday.

Thanks again.