• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Dilemma...What to put on a GA Precision 260?

batex

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2012
Western NC
Here's my problem. I have a GA Precision custom bolt action in 260 Rem and I cannot decide what scope to put on it. It's my high end first precision rifle and I want to get it in action, but have nothing to put on it. Eventually, I would like to purchase a top tier FFP scope on (think NF Beast, Steiner, Kahles or possibly a new Tangent Theta if street price is a little lower than MSRP). However, some of these scopes are not even available yet and I'm very undecided on what FFP scope to get, so in the meantime I've come up with a plan B. Would it be dumb for me to just buy a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 SFP and put it on the GAP bolt gun just to get it out and shoot it. Here's my logic....While not ideal for long range, the NF 2.5-10x42 seems to be a great scope in itself. I could at least get the GAP shooting and should have no problem at moderate distances with the 10x, right? Later, when I decide on a higher magnification FFP scope, the 2.5-10x could be transitioned to a precision AR or even a hunting rifle or even sold. This way, I could get some time behind the trigger and also a better feel for what kind of higher mag scope to get. Hopefully, the Beast or Tangent Theta will be available by then also. I guess I just have a bad case of scope buying paralysis... Any advice appreciated.

Intended use includes target shooting a paper and steel at 200-500 yards, but I would also like to eventually participate in some informal precision rifle matches and get out to 800+ yards, etc.

If I remember correctly, you can get a Bushnell XRS for about the same price as the Nightforce. The XRS is a nice scope and packs alot of features at that price point (great reticle, wide magnification range, front focal, zero stops, 10 mil knobs).

Right now Liberty Optics has a great price on the original Bushnell HDMR.

The Nightforce is a great choice but you might be able to get more of your desired features with one of the Bushnells. It will go great on your GAP 260 bolt gun and IMO its not overly large to be used on you AR platform.

Enjoy you GAP!

I don't have experience with many of the highly touted scopes on the market but I do believe the Bushnell G2DMRs are hard to beat for the money. You can find a used one here for around $1000 use it for a while, sell it later if need be and not lose much more than the cost of shipping. Although you might really like the G2 reticle and stick with it or move up to one of their ERS or XRS scopes like I am doing with one of my DMRs I just sold.

Im sure you'll hear a lot of the same from guys with Vortex PSTs, Razors, NF, SWFA SS 5-20 HDs, Steiners, Khales, USO, S&B and Premiere. You probably need to try to look through and check out as many of the potential scopes as you can if you want to find the right one.

The plan you wrote out about the 2.5-10 NF sounded pretty good when you got to the part about having it later for an AR when you upgrade. That being said, I'd rather have more magnification and FFP on a precision bolt gun. The wait might be a lot longer than you think for a lot of the scopes you're reading about from this years show.

edit: PatChew types faster

I've recently bought a couple of the Bushnell Tactical Elite scopes - 34mm 3.5-21x50 ERS, and 30mm 6-24x50 G2DMR. Though I didn't expect top tier glass at the price point of these scopes, I hoped they'd be at least equal to the quality of the Sightron SIII 6-24x50s I've been shooting. Need to get more time behind both of them, but so far, my impression is that, if not as good optically as the SIII, they're darned close, and I like the G2DMR reticle a lot more than the LRMOA of my SIIIs. Whatever my final opinion of the optical quality, I'm still pretty pleased with both these Bushnells.

Need to get my hands on one of the new FFP SIII 6-24x50s and do some serious side-by-side comparisons, preferably on an overcast day, or late in the afternoon when my targets are in shadows. Don't know what the street price of one of these FFP SIIIs is, but the only downside I see to them - compared to another 34mm Bushnell ERS - is lack of zero stop, and turrets that turn a little too easily. You gotta watch it when putting a rifle in, or taking it out of a drag bag, or you're liable to run one or the other of the turrets several minutes.

Nightforce 8-32x56 NSX with zero stop and .125moa turrets.

FFP only needed for non-KD ranges and 10X is not enough mag for precision matches.

Vortex Viper

I bought a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 PST FFP and I've been pretty happy with it. I use it for hunting and plan on using it for informal matches to 500Y. I like the warranty that Vortex offers, basically Lifetime unconditional. The glass is pretty good, it tracks perfectly and the EBR-1 Reticle is nice. I think it's the best bang for your buck at a thousand bucks. Vortex customer service is fast responding and very good to deal with.

Attachments

• DSCN7858.jpg
    DSCN7858.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
What gas better glass: F-1 or XRS?

I looked through an ERS 3.5-21 the other day at the 1000 yard range. I was comparing it directly to my F1. I'd say they were equal with a slight edge of overall brightness going to the bushnell probably due to the 34mm tube. I came away very impressed with the ERS.

I have a Bushnell G2HDMR scope on my AO 6.5 CM custom and I couldn't be happier. I really only shoot in bright sunlight at targets in the same condition. Did shoot in a light misting rain the other day. Scope didn't care. I could easily see the little 5/8" target markers I use for targets and proceeded to pop them with alarming regularity. Easiest scope I have ever worked with. Reticle hash marks are right on the money. Had to re-zero the scope and it took 2 shots. It is a great scope and I'm getting another to put on my LWRC 18" REPR just cause I like it so much. FFP, 3.5-21 magnification range. Sufficient elevation to dial 100 yds with a 40moa tilt to the mount. I haven't done a return to zero test on it yet nor an elevation test but I'm pretty sure it will pass and return based on its reaction to small adjustments. I managed a 0.302" 5 shot group last Sunday, now if I can get my creaky old bones to repeat position and convince my trigger finger to stop shaking (I'm 71), I might get it to do it more than once. I don't know what they are going for on the street. I paid full list on the damn thing and have no complaints.

I appreciate all the advice and information. Lot's to consider here. Will definitely give the Bushnell a closer look as well as others.

Nightforce 8-32x56 NSX with zero stop and .125moa turrets.

FFP only needed for non-KD ranges and 10X is not enough mag for precision matches.

Why would he want a SPF benchrest optic?

If he is going to do tactical competitions then an FFP is the way to go.

Sure the Beast is nice and the Tangent Thetas come from a solid design but why spend $4-5k. Save some cash and get something that is going to be from 16x or 20x, as your not planning on shooting past 800 then you could even do a 16x like the steiner 16x which is fantastic. The Steiner will take you out to 1200 as the glass is great and there is lots of adjustment.

my vote would be an SnB 20x that way your not wanting anything more or second guessing your purchase. Or as said a Steiner 16x. If you can find a Premier 25x in Gen2 XR then get that, it's overkill but you would own one of the best pieces of glass and optics out there.

lastly, Vortex is a great company but the glass on the PST is not great by any margin (read...weak) , if that's what you want then at least get the 20x Razor made in Japan.

Here's my problem. I have a GA Precision custom bolt action in 260 Rem and I cannot decide what scope to put on it. It's my high end first precision rifle and I want to get it in action, but have nothing to put on it. Eventually, I would like to purchase a top tier FFP scope on (think NF Beast, Steiner, Kahles or possibly a new Tangent Theta if street price is a little lower than MSRP). However, some of these scopes are not even available yet and I'm very undecided on what FFP scope to get, so in the meantime I've come up with a plan B. Would it be dumb for me to just buy a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 SFP and put it on the GAP bolt gun just to get it out and shoot it. Here's my logic....While not ideal for long range, the NF 2.5-10x42 seems to be a great scope in itself. I could at least get the GAP shooting and should have no problem at moderate distances with the 10x, right? Later, when I decide on a higher magnification FFP scope, the 2.5-10x could be transitioned to a precision AR or even a hunting rifle or even sold. This way, I could get some time behind the trigger and also a better feel for what kind of higher mag scope to get. Hopefully, the Beast or Tangent Theta will be available by then also. I guess I just have a bad case of scope buying paralysis... Any advice appreciated.

Intended use includes target shooting a paper and steel at 200-500 yards, but I would also like to eventually participate in some informal precision rifle matches and get out to 800+ yards, etc.

What's your total budget?

Initially, I was hoping to keep it around $1500 to $2k. However, a little more always buys a little more and say if something like the NF BEAST was the end-all be-all, top of the pyramid scope, I could push my budget to that price range. I just don't want to find myself in the position of having spent, say $1800 (Bushnell, Vortex?) and be left wanting a little more that a better scope could offer. I've rulled S&B out as I'm left handed and their illumination nob sticks out like a wart on the left side of their scope. It's been suggested that this could interfere with cycling a left-handed bolt action (GAP Templar in my case). I'm not certain of this, but am not going willing to spend 2-3k to find out. I'm really drawn to nightforce, but want a FFP scope. The BEAST isn't real yet, and the older F1 is just too close in price and lacking when compared to a Steiner or Kahles I'm told. If I were to go Steiner or Kahles, well, why not wait a few more months and see if the BEAST every materializes. Then, part of me says just go SFP and get an ATACR and forget FFP until you've shot the gun for a while. I really just have a problem making a decision because we're talking lots of money no matter what and I'd like to get the "right" scope the first time.

Take a hard look at the Vortex Razor 5-20x50. Full of good features(illuminated reticle, zero stop, etc) and a good power range. You can buy them used and save some money as well and not have to worry if anything goes wrong with their warranty.

Why don't you get a cheap throw down scope and wait? I mean something for a couple hundred dollars you can get rid of or just keep as a spare?

Another option would be the vortex pst 6-24 ffp. 950 at optics planet then throw in a 10% off coupon and ur under 900 including shipping. (These resale for a little over 800 on this site). Then, you can have a quality scope that won't hold you back and get u shooting. U will be able to resell it if u want and get the nf beast you have ur heart set on when it comes out. Or you can keep it and have a quality back up if your high end scope fails (doubtful) or you (heaven forbid) drop it and have to send it in. The tears won't roll quite as hard if you break ur vortex when ur just getting started in the precision rifle game. I love my NF and those Bushnells mentioned above are great as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were in your place, and fully intended to get a top-tier scope later for the GAP, then put the scope purchased now on an AR15 later, I'd go with the Bushnell ET62450FG. This gets you into a FFP mil/mil scope with a great reticle (G2DMR) and pretty good glass, yet it's not so big (30mm tube) that it'd look out of place on an AR. Liberty Optics shows these scopes in stock at $999 - not chump change, but very reasonable compared to the $2k-$3k scopes. I've got nothing negative to say about mine, even though it doesn't have locking turrets.

Take a hard look at the Vortex Razor 5-20x50. Full of good features(illuminated reticle, zero stop, etc) and a good power range. You can buy them used and save some money as well and not have to worry if anything goes wrong with their warranty.

+1

This is a good option. Great reticles.

As said the PST glass is not good, I would not say the Bushnell glass is any better. At least the Bushnell will track nicely. But the Razor is a winner and great for what you want to do.

If the 2.5-10x NF has a definite place on another rifle, buying one now isn't necessarily a bad idea. However, your getting into pretty serious money for a stop-gap optic. Vortex Razor (gen 1 and 2) look awesome for the price, you might want to look at those.

I personally have a S&B 5-25 PMII on my primary LR bolt gun and a NF 2.5-10x on my precision 5.56mm AR. I've found that I'm much happier if I just save longer and get want I want the first time.