• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope diopter adjustment noise

Sgp12345

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2021
CA
I’ve noticed on more than one scope that there is a “gritty” sound when adjusting the diopter. Almost like there is sand in there, but not that bad. Typically if I fully extend and retract, the sound will lessen and go away, or mostly go away.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? I feel like this must be normal as I’ve noticed it on quite a few optics, but it just sounds weird.🤷‍♂️

Never noticed it but seeing as the diopter is set and leave I don't really spin it much after setting it.

Never noticed it but seeing as the diopter is set and leave I don't really spin it much after setting it.
Oh ya figured that might be the case. Just checked and I hear it with my accupower 1-8, so I am all but certain it’s not a defect. Then again, I don’t hear anything on my Steiner M8xi or my Bushnell elite 4500

Last edited:
had nightmares when I bought my first expensive scope thinking Id break something or pull it out of the box only to find out that I heard crunching and heard crackling noises of broken glass lol , so happy nothing that extreme has yet happened now I just worry that fed ex or ups will use it as a truck wheel chock or football before delivering it .