• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope eye fatigue question..

Arcangel8654

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2007
hudson
I have a S@B 4-16 scope with a gen2XR reticle that i seem to develop eye fatigue( blurry vision) rather soon,within an hour..Any other scope ive used such as USO.hensoldt.leuppy ect ect, ive never had this problem even after being behind the scope for hours..
This is a strange phenomenon for me becuase i never had this happened and im wondering of its the really thin reticle doing it. I cant get an answer from any of the optics companies regarding this..any logical input would be appreciated..

Re: Scope eye fatigue question..

operator headspace?

put someone else behind the glass without tellin em why. see if they get the same results.

worth a try.

has it always done this or is this a new thing?

I've had lots of good glass, and It always seems to happen to me.

yeah, I just don't know where to set it differently, when it's all the way in, the reticle is razor sharp

Arc,

Here is my opinion lol.

Knowing you... I am going to take that when you say looking thru the scope for that hour you are referring to observation of target and not going from target to target (could be wrong).

In that situation I am going to say it is a reticle conflict with you in terms of the target is acting as the front site (back when we shot SR) and is controlling the majority of your eye focus BUT at same time you know how important the reticle is so you cannot block it completely out of your mind. And you keep manually focusing on that thin reticle then back to target.
By doing that you are fatigueing your eye out with that scope when with the other scopes you mentioned even when you are focused on target you still able to automatically see the reticle so that you dont have to manually make yourself find it.

Hope this helps

That sounds really good.LC.. now i gotta figure out how to fix it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had lots of good glass, and It always seems to happen to me. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stupid question.....
have you tried readjusting the ocular? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah, I just don't know where to set it differently, when it's all the way in, the reticle is razor sharp </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">hunter223</span></span>, the question is, do you know the correct procedure for Diopter adjustment, and did you take the time to set the adjustment correctly? From what you've said, it doesn't sound like it.

Below is the correct procedure for Diopter adjustment for variable power scopes. The procedure is the same regardless of scope manufacturer, or whether the objective/parallax focus is on the objective ring or is a side focus type.

(1) Turn the magnification ring to maximum (highest power).

(2) Turn the Parallax focus to "Infinity" (the symbol for Infinity looks like a figure eight). <span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> Most non-side focus scopes use a ring on the objective bell to adjust parallax, and the distances are usually numbered. Side focus parallax adjustment knobs may or may not be have distances marked.

(3) Turn the ocular bell/eyepiece all the way in.

(4) Aim the scope at a cloudless section of the sky (you don't want anything except sky in the view, or else your eye will naturally attempt to focus on the object in the view beyond the reticle.

(5) Look at something nearby, but not too close, then look through the scope at the reticle. If the reticle is out-of-focus turn it a bit to begin to focusing the reticle, but look away from the scope. Never look at the reticle for more than a couple of seconds when adjusting the eyepiece (if you look at the reticle for more than a second or two your eye will naturally begin to adjust to bring the reticle into focus - and you don't want this to happen. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">You want to be able to look through the scope and see a sharply focused reticle immediately with your eye relaxed</span></span>). This cannot be achieved by continuously looking through the scope and turning the eyepiece into focus in one continous motion because your eye will have already begun to adjust.

Remember, look away every few seconds and make small adjustments to dial-in the eyepiece focus. Once you have achieved this, you should not adjust the eyepiece at all, unless your vision changes over time <span style="font-style: italic">(it always does).</span> If someone else shoots your rifle, put a pen mark on the eyepiece cover indexed to the index dot on the scope tube - if the tube doesn't have an index mark use a pencil.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had lots of good glass, and It always seems to happen to me. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stupid question.....
have you tried readjusting the ocular? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah, I just don't know where to set it differently, when it's all the way in, the reticle is razor sharp </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">hunter223</span></span>, the question is, do you know the correct procedure for Diopter adjustment, and did you take the time to set the adjustment correctly? From what you've said, it doesn't sound like it.

Below is the correct procedure for Diopter adjustment for variable power scopes. The procedure is the same regardless of scope manufacturer, or whether the objective/parallax focus is on the objective ring or is a side focus type.

(1) Turn the magnification ring to maximum (highest power).

(2) Turn the Parallax focus to "Infinity" (the symbol for Infinity looks like a figure eight). <span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> Most non-side focus scopes use a ring on the objective bell to adjust parallax, and the distances are usually numbered. Side focus parallax adjustment knobs may or may not be have distances marked.

(3) Turn the ocular bell/eyepiece all the way in.

(4) Aim the scope at a cloudless section of the sky (you don't want anything except sky in the view, or else your eye will naturally attempt to focus on the object in the view beyond the reticle.

(5) Look at something nearby, but not too close, then look through the scope at the reticle. If the reticle is out-of-focus turn it a bit to begin to focusing the reticle, but look away from the scope. Never look at the reticle for more than a couple of seconds when adjusting the eyepiece (if you look at the reticle for more than a second or two your eye will naturally begin to adjust to bring the reticle into focus - and you don't want this to happen. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">You want to be able to look through the scope and see a sharply focused reticle immediately with your eye relaxed</span></span>). This cannot be achieved by continuously looking through the scope and turning the eyepiece into focus in one continous motion because your eye will have already begun to adjust.

Remember, look away every few seconds and make small adjustments to dial-in the eyepiece focus. Once you have achieved this, you should not adjust the eyepiece at all, unless your vision changes over time <span style="font-style: italic">(it always does).</span> If someone else shoots your rifle, put a pen mark on the eyepiece cover indexed to the index dot on the scope tube - if the tube doesn't have an index mark use a pencil.

Keith </div></div>

Thanks Keith, I've never set the paralax on infinity before. I'll try that this evening and see if the eyepiece winds up at a different setting. I've also been suggested to leave my non-shooting eye open but covered, like with an eyepatch.

You should always try to leave both eyes open. If you have dominant eye focusing issues, a trick I learned is to orient your butler creek eyepiece cover so that it blocks the vision in your non-shooting eye when open.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should always try to leave both eyes open. If you have dominant eye focusing issues, a trick I learned is to orient your butler creek eyepiece cover so that it blocks the vision in your non-shooting eye when open. </div></div>
This helped me a lot, especially with iron sights. Some (me included) seem to fatigue the eyes too much in trying to keep the non aiming eye closed. Using a pair of glasses with a screen on the non aiming eye reduced the eye fatigue quite a bit.

All of the above suggestions but as people get older there eyes dry out more rapidly, eye drops really come in handy. Worth being in your kit IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unsichtbar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of the above suggestions but as people get older there eyes dry out more rapidly, eye drops really come in handy. Worth being in your kit IMO. </div></div>

LOL, funny thing is I aint old, not even 30 and have exceptional eyesight better'n 20/15 and I still can't always seem to get the diopter perfectly focused.
crazy.gif

When was your last eye exam? Sounds like eye fatigue.

It affects me more when the reticle style is busy.

If you have to sit behind a scope for long periods, good idea to avoid scopes that are too complicated.

Take frequent breaks and keeping both eyes open definitely helps.

Be careful with eyedrops . . . many of them will constrict capillaries which actually will make your eyes worse by reducing blood supply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ramius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When was your last eye exam? Sounds like eye fatigue.

It affects me more when the reticle style is busy.

If you have to sit behind a scope for long periods, good idea to avoid scopes that are too complicated.

Take frequent breaks and keeping both eyes open definitely helps.

Be careful with eyedrops . . . many of them will constrict capillaries which actually will make your eyes worse by reducing blood supply. </div></div>

Never had an optometrist check my eyes, just every 2 months it seems like for one thing or another I'm getting a full physical. I did have one on 8-5-09 and I can still easily read the bottom line.... and the little mfg label in the bottom corner just as easy.

You are young so it shouldn't be an age thing. Do you smoke?

I occassionally have to sit for hours behind a scope and used to get headaches from eye fatigue. When I don't have a choice I just sucked it up and did what I had to do.

My problem was bad enough I ended up discussing it with several doctors. In the end there was nothing they could do about it but to advise me to "avoid those activities." (yeah, thanks a lot for nothing!)

When I got better assignments and had choices with my gear I made sure to consider these factors in the selection and acquisition of equipment.

If you've identified it as being a particular scope, you've already come a long way.

Another thing you can do to lessen eye strain is dial down the magnification on your scope.

Set your diopter according to Aries' instruction and see how that works for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ramius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are young so it shouldn't be an age thing. Do you smoke?

I occassionally have to sit for hours behind a scope and used to get headaches from eye fatigue. When I don't have a choice I just sucked it up and did what I had to do.

My problem was bad enough I ended up discussing it with several doctors. In the end there was nothing they could do about it but to advise me to "avoid those activities." (yeah, thanks a lot for nothing!)

When I got better assignments and had choices with my gear I made sure to consider these factors in the selection and acquisition of equipment.

If you've identified it as being a particular scope, you've already come a long way.

Another thing you can do to lessen eye strain is dial down the magnification on your scope.

Set your diopter according to Aries' instruction and see how that works for you. </div></div>

Nope, don't smoke. I don't get headaches, my non-shooting eye gets fuzzy when I look away from the scope while my shooting eye stays in focus. No it's not just one scope, I've had it happen with most all of my scopes, NXS, Vortex Viper, Razor, and I even noticed it while playing with S&B's. So, I am pretty dog-gone sure it isn't the scopes. Sorry OP for hi-jacking your thread, and thanks too!