• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for .17HMR Ruger RPRR

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
I am looking to get a scope for my Ruger RPRR .17HMR. I want something that the paralax goes down below 50 yards. Due to an eye issue an illuminated retical would be nice but is not a deal breaker. The rifle will be used for varmint hunting anywhere from about 20 yards (ground hog in the garden out back) out to maybe 300 yards max and general plinking. I looked at a Bushnell Nitro the shop has but wanted to know what else is out there. I can't afford to spend over $500 right now but if I need to wait and save more I will.

My .17HMR wears a SWFA 3-15x42mm, as do most of my other general-purpose rimfires. They normally sell for $699 but demo versions occasionally pop up on samplelist.com in the $500 range.

Mueller 8-32x44 Target or Tactical scope. I have had several, some for years. The focus/parallax comes down at least to 25yd, probably a fair bit closer, even. Clicks could be a bit more positive; but I hardly noticed this once I got accustomed to using it.

These scopes are apparently well received by the rimfire precision community.

For hunting, the MilDot reticle is more visible; the target dot version uses fine crosshairs and a small dot which is great for target shooting.

Greg

Last edited:
I'd be checking the samplelist for a 3-15x42 SWFA.

ILya

Ilya - in the 550.00 range (most on the sample list run 559.00 for the FFP SWFA 3-15) what makes the SWFA better than other options out there?

Just curious because you have seen so much and used so many different scopes.

OP - if you are mil/leo you could get the new Vortex SE around your price (5-25 FFP) - I haven't seen it in person but there is a huge thread on it here.

I lucked out on a Swampfox Kentucky Long range 3-18 FFP at christmas time for 400.00 and it has been as good or better than my Athlon Midas 4.5-27 BTR. Also Doug at CameralandNY usually has some good deals for hide members

Ilya - in the 550.00 range (most on the sample list run 559.00 for the FFP SWFA 3-15) what makes the SWFA better than other options out there?

Just curious because you have seen so much and used so many different scopes.

OP - if you are mil/leo you could get the new Vortex SE around your price (5-25 FFP) - I haven't seen it in person but there is a huge thread on it here.

I lucked out on a Swampfox Kentucky Long range 3-18 FFP at christmas time for 400.00 and it has been as good or better than my Athlon Midas 4.5-27 BTR. Also Doug at CameralandNY usually has some good deals for hide members

The SWFA SS has been around for a long time, so it has good track record and good resale value. It also focuses quite close and tracks well.

The original post sounds like he might want to get something higher end at a later point, so the SS will serve him well and keep its value well if he chooses to upgrade later.

Kentucky Long is a really nice scope (I am about to publish a review of the 5-30x56 model), but it is only available in MOA for now which keeps it off my list of recommendations (and there is another minor turret quirk there I do not like).

The 5-25x56 Strike Eagle is a really decent design and it is better than the Kentucky Long, so if he can get a discount on it, it is a good option, but a pretty big scope and on his rifle, I would probably want to have a little less magnification on the low end.

ILya

Reactions: Frankr
The SWFA SS has been around for a long time, so it has good track record and good resale value. It also focuses quite close and tracks well.

The original post sounds like he might want to get something higher end at a later point, so the SS will serve him well and keep its value well if he chooses to upgrade later.

Kentucky Long is a really nice scope (I am about to publish a review of the 5-30x56 model), but it is only available in MOA for now which keeps it off my list of recommendations (and there is another minor turret quirk there I do not like).

The 5-25x56 Strike Eagle is a really decent design and it is better than the Kentucky Long, so if he can get a discount on it, it is a good option, but a pretty big scope and on his rifle, I would probably want to have a little less magnification on the low end.

ILya
Can't wait to read your review on the 5-30.

The 3-18 power range (3-15) is my favorite. I have the older SE 3-18 as well but its not as nice as the Kentucky LR. If they put the features and glass of the new SE into a 3-18/3-15 I would buy one in a heart beat.

I will have to look at the SWFA if I get a chance.

Can't wait to read your review on the 5-30.

The 3-18 power range (3-15) is my favorite. I have the older SE 3-18 as well but its not as nice as the Kentucky LR. If they put the features and glass of the new SE into a 3-18/3-15 I would buy one in a heart beat.

I will have to look at the SWFA if I get a chance.

It is a 5x erector product line, so I am sure they can release a 3-15x50 if they are so inclined. OEMs seldom designed single products, so I am sure they have a few models built on the same erector tube.

ILya

Reactions: Frankr
I'll vouch for the Argos BTR. If you are trying to do it on a budget the first gen 6-24s are going for around $250. I'm running one on my RPR .22 and it does the job just fine. For the gun’s intended purpose I really don't need anything more. It's just a plinker/training rifle the scope is more than adequate.

I am a LEO but don't really need that high of a magnification. I was think 15 or 18 on the high end. I think being able to adjust the paralax down to a lower yardage would benefit me more that a high magnification. I would prefer a tree reticle of some sort with at least the center dot illuminated.

I am a LEO but don't really need that high of a magnification. I was think 15 or 18 on the high end. I think being able to adjust the paralax down to a lower yardage would benefit me more that a high magnification. I would prefer a tree reticle of some sort with at least the center dot illuminated.
Here’s the thread

Might want to check but I think it goes down to 10 yards and the FOV is great.
LEO discounts gets it below 500.00 supposedly.

might be worth looking at