• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for 6.5 CM hunting rifle

The22Man

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2014
Ozarks
www.theweeklygeek.com
I need the collective wisdom of end users (actual shooters) I think I have covered all the bases below in the forum suggestions of what I am looking for..
This is for a primarily hunting 6.5 Creedmoor, I will do some longer range target shooting but not competition, just to test myself and the equipment. At this time it will go on a Ruger American Predator.
Primary distances will be 200 to 700 yards. Maybe if I am lucky 1,000, at a friends range, not hunting. I have had deer walk up on me and took 15 yard shots, rare but happened twice in East Texas.
Low light will be when I use it the most (Hunting hours - morning as sun comes up and evening as sun goes down). Of course there will be fun and range time with friends regular daylight hours.
I want MOA (it is what I am trained with), I'm thinking 3-15 to 3-18, up to 50mm objective, weight is a factor, between $800 -$1300 retail, FFP (First Focal Plane), I want minimal, to no, edge to edge distortion.
Other things that are factors if all above are equal: Field of View, brightness

This video showes the issue at full zoom that I want to avoid 13:15 in you can see how fuzzy the trees are. At 22:03 you can also see the clarity difference.

As of 6/25/22
Crimson trace does not have what I want
Bushnell does not have what I want (too cheap)
Riton and Shepard do not have what I want
US Optics is too expensive and doesn't have what I want
Trijicon are too expensive
Sig saur is too expensive
Night Force NX8 - 2.5-20x50mm F1 too expensive
Zeiss Conquest v6 too expensive
Swarovski too expensive
Leica is too expensive Amplus 6 3-18x44i (L-Ballistic BDC (MOA))

Need Wisdom on:
USA made Leupold VX-5HD 3-15×44
SWFA SS 3-15x42 MOA
China made Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x50 APLR6 MOA
China made Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 2.5-15x50
USA made Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR II 3-15x50
EOTech VUDU 3.5-18x50 FFP MD2 VDU3-18FFMD2__LN
Shepherd BRS 3-18×50
Arken EP5? Can't really tell what they have because of a poor website.

I have the exact Meopta scope and a 5-25 version of the PST. They are on Target Rifles in 6mm Creedmoor and 6mm ARC. I like them about the same. No complaints.

Neither are suitable imo as a "hunting" scope In a 6.5CM. They are too heavy and complicated for deer hunting in East Texas.

My hunting rifle (6,5CM) is scoped with a 3.5 -10 Meopta which is easily enough magnification for up to 300 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: The22Man
With your budget being what it is, I would try the Arken EP5 or SH4 Gen2... I have 3 of the SH4's and an EP5. My first EP5 had to go back immediately after my first range trip due to severe glass issues, but their CS was amazing, never questioned it, and sent me a return shipping label ASAP. Sent them the tracking info, USPS was having some technological issues, and the scope was making loopy-loops between here and Texas (not sure WTF was going on). But I sent them the tracking info, they saw what was happening, and then sent me the replacement, before they even received the old scope due to USPS's idiocy. The replacement they sent me has been perfect. Honestly much nicer than a $550 scope (in my opinion), but no where near alpha-tier glass. Overall, I think for the money, they will be hard to beat, and are worth the try. Some folks like them, some folks don't. Some will bitch because they're made in China, some will bitch because they just have to bitch and piss and moan about everything, and unless it says "Schmidt & Bender" or ZCO on the side of it, it's "not worth a shit". We all know those folks...

Athlon Midas tac hd 4-16 is what you seek. I have one on my NRL hunter rifle. Glass is definitely better than my SWFA 3-15 SFP

I have several of the Vortex LHT 4.5-22 scopes on hunting rifles. They have been great for me. The company that I used to guide for uses them on their loaner rifles. We had no problems with them.

I'm also looking for a mid power optic for my 6.5cm hunting rifle that my 9yo will be using this year. Weight is a issue as well as the usability of the reticle at the low end of the zoom range. I currently run the NX8 2.5-20 and nxs 2.5-10x42 on my hunting rifles. I really like the nxs on my 20" 6.5cm. I would probably grab another, but Eurooptics doesn't have a mil based one in stock. The sfp doesn't bother me as much on this scope because 10x is usable in the field. I have never used the nx8 higher then probably 12x while shooting at game, so a sfp in that one wouldn't work as well.

There are also some deals to be had on the Vortex PST gen II 3-15 that I might try in the mean time.

Also I had a leupold vx5hd 3-15 that lost tracking and had to go back to leupold to get fixed. I gave it away after it came back. Zero faith left for it.

Maybe look for a high quality used one for the same price as your new list. Zeiss V4 should be on your list.

I really like the Meopta Optika 6 3-18x. The Burris XTR II you noted is a really decent scope, very durable. But there is a good number of reports of gents getting them with sub par glass. I've been told this has been fixed...?

For the money, i'd pick up a Burris XTR III 3.3-18 in MOA (as you requested). The blow out prices right now are very hard to beat.

t

Second the Burris 3-18. I've got one on a 223 bolt and waiting on an illuminated version for my do all creedmoor. You'll have no complaints with it.

Reactions: T J
Budget price: Midas Tac 4-16x44, top of price range retail: Burris XTR3 3.3-18x50, second hand top od price range: mk5hd 3.6-18x44.

Reactions: YotaEer
I need the collective wisdom of end users (actual shooters) I think I have covered all the bases below in the forum suggestions of what I am looking for..
This is for a primarily hunting 6.5 Creedmoor, I will do some longer range target shooting but not competition, just to test myself and the equipment. At this time it will go on a Ruger American Predator.
Primary distances will be 200 to 700 yards. Maybe if I am lucky 1,000, at a friends range, not hunting. I have had deer walk up on me and took 15 yard shots, rare but happened twice in East Texas.
Low light will be when I use it the most (Hunting hours - morning as sun comes up and evening as sun goes down). Of course there will be fun and range time with friends regular daylight hours.
I want MOA (it is what I am trained with), I'm thinking 3-15 to 3-18, up to 50mm objective, weight is a factor, between $800 -$1300 retail, FFP (First Focal Plane), I want minimal, to no, edge to edge distortion.
Other things that are factors if all above are equal: Field of View, brightness

This video showes the issue at full zoom that I want to avoid 13:15 in you can see how fuzzy the trees are. At 22:03 you can also see the clarity difference.

As of 6/25/22
Crimson trace does not have what I want
Bushnell does not have what I want (too cheap)
Riton and Shepard do not have what I want
US Optics is too expensive and doesn't have what I want
Trijicon are too expensive
Sig saur is too expensive
Night Force NX8 - 2.5-20x50mm F1 too expensive
Zeiss Conquest v6 too expensive
Swarovski too expensive
Leica is too expensive Amplus 6 3-18x44i (L-Ballistic BDC (MOA))

Need Wisdom on:
USA made Leupold VX-5HD 3-15×44
SWFA SS 3-15x42 MOA
China made Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x50 APLR6 MOA
China made Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 2.5-15x50
USA made Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR II 3-15x50
EOTech VUDU 3.5-18x50 FFP MD2 VDU3-18FFMD2__LN
Shepherd BRS 3-18×50
Arken EP5? Can't really tell what they have because of a poor website.

Ah, Vortex Viper PST Gen II....3-15...any reason its not on your list?

Reactions: leendertp
Element Helix 4-16x44. 23.8oz. Cheap and it's mentioned here under $700 despite being a bunch cheaper.

The 6-24 is also mentioned here by the dark one very favourably.

Have a Hawke Frontier ffp 30mm 4-20 that has excellent glass, usable mil reticle, locking turrets, good illumination, and has tracked very well out to 1k yards. They're light ans relatively short. Juat another option

As far as crossover scopes go, I have 2 of the Burris XTR2 3-15 (both G2B for the thick reticle for hunting), i have the 3.3-18 XTR3, the Midas Tac, 4-16x44, Midas BTR, Zeiss V4 4-16x44, and the Leupold VX3i 4.5-14 windplex and the Burris Veracity 3-15x50 FFP E1.
my favorite of all of them for a hunting scope is the Burris Veracity. I love the reticle! The only thing it gives up at the range is the fact that you only have revolution of the turret after you set the zero stop, so about 23.5 MOA of elevation.
The XTR3 is a bit fine for my eyes near dark since it is the SCR reticle and not illuminated.
The Zeiss V4 is a nice scope, it does everything well, but nothing about it is superior.

I’d go 3-15 or 4-20 Burris XTRII (less $$)

Or

Burris XTRIII

Or

Used Athlon Cronus BTR

Or

Step up to NF ATACR 4-16

If you served in the military, the Leupold Mark5HD 3.6-18x44 is your huckleberry. These are the best hunting scopes for those who want precision rifle features bar none. With their light weight and locking turret added on to the precision rifle features there is no comparison. It will fit your price requirements only if you have the mil / LEO discount or buy it used though. VX5's are not FFP btw. Only the Mark5's are FFP. The product lines look similar in name, but they are not similar in function.

As for the Athlon Midas TAC or Ares lines, they are have excellent QC, low weight, and acceptable optical performance. They are good scopes priced well and I expect you will be happy with whichever of them you choose. I judge these China made scopes as generally better than the Philippines made scopes they often compete with. They are also typically a good deal cheaper.

Another consideration is the new Sightron SIII PLR FFP 6-24x50 I just finished reviewing. Great optics (though a small FOV) and performance at it's current sale price. This is a Japan made optic.