• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for 7 prc hunting rig

zweber76

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2023
Alabama
Hey guys new user here, I’m working on putting together a 7 prc rifle. I bought a Chirstensen ridgeline barrled action from Brownells and ordered a stock and bottom metal from ag composites. My question is what would be an ideal scope for this set up. I have a leupold mk4 4.5-14x50 in the safe that I was planning on running on a different rifle but I may use it. I’ve been looking at a nightforce nx8 2.5-20x50 and love everything about it except the price. The rifle will be used mainly for elk and whitetail. I’d also like to start trying to shoot further distances. Im currently pretty comfortable at 500 yds with my 300 wsm.

Thanks for the help.
IMG_2845.jpeg

Reactions: Snark0
We have another thread in the optic section about what is the worst value for a scope, especially the expensive ones.

The wisdom I have learned is to design for your intended purpose. For hunting, you might get an elk at 1,000 yards. But more likely 600 yards and in. So, get glass that is clear in low light conditions, such as dawn and dusk. Choose that over all the whiz bang gadgets. For example, zero stop, which I like, is really best used in competitions where you need to return to zero without looking and then dial your new solution.

For a hunting scope, you are going to post up however you do, find the range, dial it and wait. Basically, choose glass that works for you over maximum travel or even illumination, unless you just really need that. It is better to spend money on glass.

Then, choose and get that scope and then, STFU. Don't tell anyone here about it unless you just enjoy flame wars.

I even picked one of the most expensive scope brands in that debate, a Swarovski. And not too long after, someone dumped a soft serve pile of feces on that. Not to mention the complaints about Night Force, ZCO, etcetera.

In fact, I expect your thread to change to something like that.

We have another thread in the optic section about what is the worst value for a scope, especially the expensive ones.

The wisdom I have learned is to design for your intended purpose. For hunting, you might get an elk at 1,000 yards. But more likely 600 yards and in. So, get glass that is clear in low light conditions, such as dawn and dusk. Choose that over all the whiz bang gadgets. For example, zero stop, which I like, is really best used in competitions where you need to return to zero without looking and then dial your new solution.

For a hunting scope, you are going to post up however you do, find the range, dial it and wait. Basically, choose glass that works for you over maximum travel or even illumination, unless you just really need that. It is better to spend money on glass.

Then, choose and get that scope and then, STFU. Don't tell anyone here about it unless you just enjoy flame wars.

I even picked one of the most expensive scope brands in that debate, a Swarovski. And not too long after, someone dumped a soft serve pile of feces on that. Not to mention the complaints about Night Force, ZCO, etcetera.

In fact, I expect your thread to change to something like that.
Thank you for the wisdom I’ll definitely take all that into consideration

You'll cry twice, the 2nd time and 3rd, 4th etc because of the weight of the nx8. But that's what I (currently) have on my 7prc.

You'll cry twice, the 2nd time and 3rd, 4th etc because of the weight of the nx8. But that's what I (currently) have on my 7prc.
probably true. It looks like the nx8 weighs 6 ounces more than the leupold mark 4 I was going to run. Hopefully the carbon stock and barrel and will compensate for the extra weight.

Hey guys new user here, I’m working on putting together a 7 prc rifle. I bought a Chirstensen ridgeline barrled action from Brownells and ordered a stock and bottom metal from ag composites. My question is what would be an ideal scope for this set up. I have a leupold mk4 4.5-14x50 in the safe that I was planning on running on a different rifle but I may use it. I’ve been looking at a nightforce nx8 2.5-20x50 and love everything about it except the price. The rifle will be used mainly for elk and whitetail. I’d also like to start trying to shoot further distances. Im currently pretty comfortable at 500 yds with my 300 wsm.

Thanks for the help.
View attachment 8187751
Let us know how it shoots please! I’m looking at a CA 7mm prc too . I’ve got a razor LHT on order. I’ve had a nx8 2.5-20 and loved it but it was too much scope for white tails in Alabama. Switched to a vx5hd. But wanting to get the 7mm prc and LHT for western hunt

I
Let us know how it shoots please! I’m looking at a CA 7mm prc too . I’ve got a razor LHT on order. I’ve had a nx8 2.5-20 and loved it but it was too much scope for white tails in Alabama. Switched to a vx5hd. But wanting to get the 7mm prc and LHT for western hunt
I’ll keep you updated. I’m waiting on ag composites now there’s a 12 week lead time on the stock.

probably true. It looks like the nx8 weighs 6 ounces more than the leupold mark 4 I was going to run. Hopefully the carbon stock and barrel and will compensate for the extra weight.
You are spending a lot of money to save weight, only to spend a lot of money on a heavier optic. Weird.

Thanks for the help.
View attachment 8187751
I've been waiting on those CA 7PRC barreled actions to come back in stock for a WHILE... You must have gotten that one a while back.

I know you said you're getting the NX8, but if you haven't already, I would like to offer you a lighter (and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper) option with better glass than the NX8... Yes, it's cheaper, but has better glass. I own 3 of these scopes on my lightweight hunting rifles, and a new ATACR F1 5-25x56 that I've compared them back-to-back at the range, and the glass is surprisingly better in the scope I'm fixing to recommend...

A set of these rings, and you'll be set.

Last edited:
Reactions: zweber76
Eh, 6x on the low end is a bit much if you're close up in the thick stuff. And 2nd focal effectively eliminates holding over. And illumination really comes in handy in low light.

If the nx8 was instead nx6 at 3-18, it would fit the bill and be cheaper and more importantly, lighter. Maybe next time.

Reactions: Roscohd
Eh, 6x on the low end is a bit much if you're close up in the thick stuff. And 2nd focal effectively eliminates holding over. And illumination really comes in handy in low light.

If the nx8 was instead nx6 at 3-18, it would fit the bill and be cheaper and more importantly, lighter. Maybe next time.
He could always opt for the Burris XTR-IIIi 3.3-18x50 SCR 2... Excellent scope for the money. A lot of guys using them for hunting and happy with them, as well as using them as crossover scopes for target shooting. Glass is pretty damn good in them for the price.

He could always opt for the Burris XTR-IIIi 3.3-18x50 SCR 2... Excellent scope for the money. A lot of guys using them for hunting and happy with them, as well as using them as crossover scopes for target shooting. Glass is pretty damn good in them for the price.
I was told there is an XTR III in the classifieds...

I've been waiting on those CA 7PRC barreled actions to come back in stock for a WHILE... You must have gotten that one a while back.

I know you said you're getting the NX8, but if you haven't already, I would like to offer you a lighter (and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper) option with better glass than the NX8... Yes, it's cheaper, but has better glass. I own 3 of these scopes on my lightweight hunting rifles, and a new ATACR F1 5-25x56 that I've compared them back-to-back at the range, and the glass is surprisingly better in the scope I'm fixing to recommend...

A set of these rings, and you'll be set.

I got the action about 2 weeks ago I guess I got lucky. I went a head pulled the trigger on the nx8 the guys over at euro optic gave me a deal I couldn’t pass up.

I know it’s a little on the heavy side but I really liked the option of being able to dial the power to 2.5

I got the action about 2 weeks ago I guess I got lucky. I went a head pulled the trigger on the nx8 the guys over at euro optic gave me a deal I couldn’t pass up.
Did you have to backorder it, and then it shipped? Or did it show that it was in stock? They still show out of stock, but backorder-able for me...

It was in stock when I ordered. Suprised me too I was waiting on the 7 prc or 300 prc carbon barrled action to be in stock to start a build

Reactions: Ronws
It was in stock when I ordered. Suprised me too I was waiting on the 7 prc or 300 prc carbon barrled action to be in stock to start a build
Well, i'm in Alabama, too. So, if you decide on a .300 PRC over the 7 PRC, let me know. I'll be glad to take it off your hands. I need another project. LOL

Reactions: Ronws
Well, i'm in Alabama, too. So, if you decide on a .300 PRC over the 7 PRC, let me know. I'll be glad to take it off your hands. I need another project. LOL
Will do man. Where about? I’m new to the dialing and long range shooting wouldn’t mind learning some stuff from someone who knows what there doing.

Just as an aside, I am really liking the 7 PRC. The performance and accuracy are great. And sure, plenty of people say, if you have a 7 mm Rem Mag, don't bother with this. And that is probably good advice. But I would say to someone such as myself, if you are wanting to get into a long action magnum, then get this.

First, it has enough energy to take any game to 800 yards or so. Actually, it might go farther.

And, past 500 yards, it really shines. So, this can be used for long range target shooting.

That being said, who are we kidding? You know plenty of guys who already have 7 RM and .300 RM and even .280 AI are going to go ahead and get a 7 PRC. Because, why not?

I’d like to keep it under 2000. I’ve been emailing with euro optic and I’m going to pull the trigger on the nx8. They’re giving me a great price. Buy once cry once I guess.
Look through one before buying. Tight eye box on short tube 2.5’s. You will cry even more if it doesn’t work for you.

Reactions: FuhQ