• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for a 22lr trainer.

WyldeHouse13

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2019
FL
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and to precision shooting. I’ve read through multiple posts and reviews to try and make an educated purchase, but I’m still finding it hard to pull the trigger. What I need help with is choosing the appropriate scope for my build. I just got a CZ 455 varmint so I could train on fundamentals before I spend the money to step up to a larger caliber. Everything I’ve read says that a scope with a magnification of 16 is all you need but there are other opinions that say when in doubt have a scope with a lil’ more in the power in case you need it. My closest range where I would be shooting is only 200 yards but about an hour away they are currently building a 2,000 yard range where I’d going later down the road. What I’m looking for in the scope is for it to be in mill, have a zero stop, at least a 25 parallax, good tracking reticle and solid turrets. I’m not sure SFP or FFP. Illumination doesn’t matter to me. I just want something that is reliable and repeatable so I can work on ironing out my skills. The price range is around the $800 mark and I’m able to get blue label deals on some of the optics. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You can't have too much scope IMO, especially on a .22. Buy the best you can and then some. I was using my Trijicon AccuPower 5-50x56 shooting a 100-200yd bench match with my Vudoo in pretty heavy mirage and I was vision impaired..... and it's well above average glass.

Athlon Ares ETR would be my price point recommendation. That's what the Trijicon replaced. If mirage isn't terrible I have no need for a spotting scope with the Trijicon, so factor a GOOD spotting scope into the equation. I had a Vortex Viper 20-60x80 that I couldn't see .22 cal impacts on target at 200yds. Sold it.

The accuracy of your CZ will most likely exceed the scope you purchase. But if you purchase a superior scope it can be used on your next upgrade in rifles. It's a disease. ?

Eurooptic is clearing out Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 scopes for $299 which is 40% off. It would be a great match for your CZ. I'm thinking of getting one just to have around if I end up getting another .22.

I’ve been looking at the vortex viper pst gen II 5-25 x 50 with FFP, Athlon Midas TAC, Athlon Ares ETR, Burris XTR, Riton RT-S Mod 5. The idea was to train with the 22Lr since I can shoot all day for cheap, then step up to a 6.5 creed for longer range later on. The disease is already there. My semiauto rifle is aero precision ar-15 DMR build. 223wylde chamber, fully floated 18 inch ss 1:8 twist ballistic advantage barrel with BCG, cmc single stage 2.5 lb trigger with a bi pod and mono pod for resting it.

Attachments

• 44128165-0FB1-4D05-B9FF-6BACB904D973.jpeg
    44128165-0FB1-4D05-B9FF-6BACB904D973.jpeg
    496.6 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: Sieg
I’ve been looking at the vortex viper pst gen II 5-25 x 50 with FFP, Athlon Midas TAC, Athlon Ares ETR, Burris XTR, Riton RT-S Mod 5. The idea was to train with the 22Lr since I can shoot all day for cheap, then step up to a 6.5 creed for longer range later on. The disease is already there. My semiauto rifle is aero precision ar-15 DMR build. 223wylde chamber, fully floated 18 inch ss 1:8 twist ballistic advantage barrel with BCG, cmc single stage 2.5 lb trigger with a bi pod and mono pod for resting it.
I see you know how to spend good money without much help. ;) (y)

If it's a trainer get what you have/want on your big boy rifle

I see you know how to spend good money without much help. ;) (y)
Oh I know how to spend my money pretty easily lol. The more knowledge I get from more experienced people though, I can make the wiser purchase and then have more money for more training.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
WH13, The PST 2 or the Ares would definitely be good choices. I have no experience with the others you mentioned.

JFR

I'm a big SWFA 3-15x fanboy but my next .22 scope is going to be a Athlon Midas TAC 6-24. I've shot too many buddies rifles with these TAC's mounted on them to ignore them any longer. They check off everything on my rimfire wish list (pretty much my center fire wish list too.) I've been very happy with my Athlon Cronus I got from Gr8tfuldoug at cameralandny, he'll take good care of you as a hide member.

There is a used Mark 4 at the PX right now, too....

JFR

+1 on the Athlon Midas Tac. I’m really liking mine.

Ares BTR, the ETR is too heavy. The Midas is also very popular.

I had the ETR and BTR. Pretty similar, just depends if you want floating dot, or floating cross reticle. (And there's a $400 price difference). I went with floating dot (ETR) and gave my fiance the BTR for her rifle, she liked the floating cross.

ETR is heavier...

I am in the same boat and have been looking at the Area ETR, Delta Stryker and NF 4-32. I am worried that the glass in the Ares isn't as nice as the other two, that the NF might not have enough adjustment, and that If something goes wrong with the Delta customer service could be an issue. So I will be watching this thread very closely.

I would guess most people will be telling you to get a Midas TAC. It almost seems like Athlon designed this scope for the NRL22 crowd. It is about the perfect optic for a 22 trainer. I have two on my sons rifles and they have proved to be absolutely perfect for the application.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I’ve been very happy with my Vortex Viper PST gen II 5-25 x 50 with FFP. It has performed well, tracks well and is close to your price point.
Phil G

Reactions: Dustysa4
The TAC seems to be built better than the Ares BTR. Love the reticle in the Ares BTR though, all .2's.

NRL match I went to yesterday the guy that won was using a TAC 6-24.

Around the $400 mark i would look at the SWFA fixed 16 or a Vortex diamond back Tactical.

Around the $1,000 mark i would look at the Athlon Ares ETR or a Vortex PST2.

Around the $2,000 mark i would look at the new Nightforce NX8 or Vortex Razor 3-18.

Around the $3,000 mark I would look at the Khales 5-25 or Nightforce 7-35.

All of the above will focus Down to 25 yards or less and offer great choices in the reticle. I think optics are like shoes and everyone likes the feel of something different. I tend to like the floating Center dot and .2 mil wind holds. Especially on a 22lr where every MPH is .1 mil of hold at 80 yards. With that said i currently run an Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 on a Vudoo V22. I am anxiously awaiting the NF NX8 4-32...

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I just ordered the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x after seeing one at our local NRL22 match. The glass looks clear, the reticle is very good and it's an FFP. Also the price is insanely cheap at less than $400!!!

Comes in MIL and MOA.

Last edited:
I have the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 FFP and I am happy with it...except it doesn't have a zero stop. And I run out of elevation to diam when shooting 400-500 with the little .22. It tracks correct, glass is pretty decent and it was a good price. The lack of zero stop is something I missed when I bought it. I wish it had one or something to let you know when you have made full revolutions.

Whatever you get, I would makes sure you have plenty of elevation if you plan on shooting any kind of distance. I like to shoot steel out to 400 yards with my CZ 455 and my cheap Bushnell Engage scope runs out of elevation. I have to dail some and hold over some. With a suppressor and no one else on the range, it's fun hearing that faint ting of the steel.

Another vote for Athlon Midas TAC and @gr8fuldoug at CameraLandNY. CALL him. TELL him you got his name from the mob on Snipers Hide. It's worth your time.

If you want to spend a little more coin, you won't go wrong with the Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 - that's what I have on my Vudoo. Doug will have some suggestions as well.

Be sure to pay attention to the different reticles and go with the vendor with the one you like best. FFP for sure. There are many threads here to explain why - SH's search function actually works quite well. Use it!

Enjoy the journey, and be safe.

Reactions: littlepod
Forgot to mention - whatever you get, Do Not skimp on rings. I have used Vortex PMR rings (made by Seekins) exclusively, simply because the first set on the first rifle worked well and I tend to stay with the proven & familiar.

So I am currently stuck between two scopes. The SWFA SS 3-15 and the Athlon Midas TAC 6-24. I think I will probably end up using the rifle for NRL22 later down the road.

After buying a Vudoo, I was poor again, so I put a SWFA 3-15 on it.. No complaints really, other than a somewhat dated reticle, on the other hand the glass is good for the money, and the damn thing focuses down to 6”??‍♂️ Lots of good suggestions here, tho..

So I am currently stuck between two scopes. The SWFA SS 3-15 and the Athlon Midas TAC 6-24. I think I will probably end up using the rifle for NRL22 later down the road.
If you go with 3-15x, you'll find yourself needing more magnification if you want to see your (paper) hits much past 100 yards.

I was working on improving my 150-200 yard dope for my Vudoo today. I use a Vortex Viper PST (Gen 2) 5-25x50 FFP optic on it. I had left it at 15x after last using it for positional practice. Bright, sunny day today, and I had no trouble seeing precise impacts on a white-painted 3" steel swinger at 150 yards. However, I could see nothing on a white paper target at 195 yards. I would have had more difficulty seeing hits on paper at 150.

Then I realized where my mag ring was, and cranked it up to 25x. Presto. I could easily see my paper hits at 195 yards. (Note: mirage was surprisingly low even for mid-morning, temp 80 degrees F.)

So, 15x is ample magnification for competition and banging on steel. But if you want to see tiny .22 hits at longer ranges, the higher magnification is in order.

Reactions: WyldeHouse13
I've had 3 SWFA 3-15's, still have one left, the glass in them is the worst thing about them.

A friend and I were shooting at a 421Y black painted steel turkey with our 22's. It was hard to see where we hit at on 15x with mine but with my friends Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 set at 15x we could make them out, this surprised us both since the SWFA is almost twice the price. On 24x it was easy to see the hits.

The TAC has superior glass compared to the Argos.

Last edited:
Athlon ETR would be nice on a trainer. I have a pst gen 2 on mine, and it's more than adequate, but I plan on moving my Gen 2 Razor or ETR to it in the future