• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope for a .308 with a $1600 budget?

Wintermute

Sergeant
Minuteman
Well, I'm trying to figure out what glass to put on the .308 I'm building. I was initially settled on getting a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M3 Illuminated Reticle in mildot. I figured it would probably be a good idea to ask you guys though to see what you think would work best for .308 out to around 600m and in that price range.

Thanks in advance.

--Wintermute

Re: Scope for a .308 with a $1600 budget?

Buy one of the several used nightforces in the classifieds. Far better scopes than the leupolds

the Razor HD is a bit over the budget. Used Nightforce would be interesting as an option. What magnification range would you recommend. Also, if I got a used Nightforce, does Nightforce honor their warranty with a secondary owner or only the original purchaser?

--Wintermute

I think I'd prefer the SWFA over the Vortex if I decide to get something other than the Mark 4. Any particular pros/cons of the SWFA vs the Mark 4? I've had good luck with Leupold in the past. I know that a Leupold isn't a Schmidt and Bender or a Hensoldt, but obviously I'm not looking at those or even a USO since their cost is way above what I'm looking to spend. But from a comparison standpoint in the cost range, what is better/worse when comparing the Mark 4 Leupold vs the SWFA SSHD 5-20 or the Vortex Razor HD?

--Wintermute

IOR 4-16x50. $1600 on the dot. FFP, mil/mil, illuminated with great glass, zero stop and enough adjustment for a .308 to get out past 1000.

SS 5-20 would be my choice. Geat reticle, mil mil FFP and I happen to like the fact that the entire reticle doesn't illuminate it's just a center dot. People tend to underestimate the glass on the SS HD. It's a killer optic!!

just got my swfa 5-20 this morning and all i can say is wow this thing is clear, cant wait to get out and shoot it, so far its a great scope for the price.

Give Scott at Liberty Optics a call about that Vortex Razor. Think you'll probably not think it's too over your budget.

If you're trying to stay under $1600... check out SWFA 5-20x.

I compared it to my Nightforce F1... I'm really impressed with the SWFA.

First off why do you want a scope that is "supposed" to be linked up to a certain bullet whether 168 or 175 and a certain FPS to make the cam work properly. It requires a lot of trial and error to figure out where it is correct and when not how much to change it. the other major issue with the M3 is the 1 MOA elevation adjustments. It is not fine enough for me - at 1000 yards you are talking 1 click is over 10 inches vice a 1/4 MOA is 2.5" Then you have the whole MIL/MOA thing - go one or the other not in between. That is so 20th century
eek.gif

SS, NF, Vortex HD. The SS is a great value and most import thing for me anymore is matching reticle/knobs (mil/mil, moa/moa). Also, thing wrong with a good used optic either, it's a win/win for both sides.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR 4-16x50. $1600 on the dot. FFP, mil/mil, illuminated with great glass, zero stop and enough adjustment for a .308 to get out past 1000.

</div></div>

This right here. I got one of these and couldn't be happier. Call Scott at liberty optics. You won't be disappointed.

The Valdada IOR 4-16x50 looks like it may be a good contender. I think so far, it's probably between that and the SWFA.

BTW, I have nothing against getting a used scope...if there's enough discount in it to make it worthwhile to me. Getting say a $2000 scope for $1600 doesn't really pay to me...20% just wouldn't be worth it in my mind. Something like a USO 3.2-17 SN3 T-Pal for $1600...that I would probably jump on. Mind you, that's just me and the way I think
smile.gif

--Wintermute

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Valdada IOR 4-16x50 looks like it may be a good contender. I think so far, it's probably between that and the SWFA.

BTW, I have nothing against getting a used scope...if there's enough discount in it to make it worthwhile to me. Getting say a $2000 scope for $1600 doesn't really pay to me...20% just wouldn't be worth it in my mind. Something like a USO 3.2-17 SN3 T-Pal for $1600...that I would probably jump on. Mind you, that's just me and the way I think
smile.gif

--Wintermute </div></div>

I really doubt that will happen, those things tend to hold their value much much better than a 2400 square foot custom home in California, LOL. Seriously though this is what it seems about good glass. But I think like you too, might ass well go new. I like that IOR, I like that SS, wish I had $1600 scope budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get a decked out USO ST-10 and call it a day.</div></div>

yes, and I'll give you a hell of a deal on one

Wintermute, I have side by side compared the IOR 4-16 to a friends SS HD 5-20. Either you will be happy with and both have advantages over the other.

SS:
-more adjustment
-locking eye piece
-slightly lower price
-higher end magnification
-thinner reticle

IOR:
-slightly better glass, mostly seen with color vibrancy (IOR is better but not by much) but detail is veeeeerrrrrryyyyy slight in favor of the IOR. Not sure about lowlight performance but would guess the same.
-Zero stop and secondary impact stop
-lower end mag if you use it for hunting and wider FOV on all respective magnifications
-illumination bleeds just like the SS will but it doesn't blur the reticle at least on my 4-16. I have a prototype so not sure if it bleeds on the production models.
-wind tree reticle

Flyingbullseye

How about the new vx6??

The 4-24x52 with the 34mm tube, sounds like it would be right on the money. $1300ish

Or perhaps a mark6 in 3-18, though I have no idea on the cost of these.

I just got in a Sightron 8-32 SIII series with tactical turrets. Seems well constructed and the glass is bright and clear. Both the audible and tactile adjustments on the turrets are VERY crisp and easily heard.

I read many many reviews on various models that I was looking at, and found the Sightron to be a good fit for me. One review I read here on the Hide was very positive, with the box test and return to zero being very positive.
Steve

I'd say get the Vortex Razor. I was very impressed when I got mine. Great glass, and solid zero stop. Not to mention the no questions ask warranty. If I hadn't of bought one new a few weeks ago I would have been all over the one in the sale section. Good luck on whatever you choose, and do yourself a favor and get matching reticle and turrets.

I do agree, get matching turrets/reticle. I changed over to mils and will not go back tyo the retarded moa system. I am not a math wiz but mils are soooo much easier than moa.

Okay, you guys have successfully turned me away from giving my money to Leupold. Figure I'll probably end up with either the Valdada, SWFA or Vortex. Now I just have to figure out which of those I want
laugh.gif

--Wintermute

I completely forgot about IOR. I still would prefer the razor as a week and a half ago as my personal experience with their warranty service really impressed me.

I have a PST 4-16x50 FFP and after a few hundred rounds of 22lr, I noticed when I rotated the magnification ring, the reticle would rotate about 1-2° with the direction of rotation. I emailed Vortex CS and they said send it in. A week and a half later after dropping it off at my usps office, I had it back on my 10/22. It should be noted that everything takes am additional 1-2 days to get to/from me via shipping no matter if it is fedex, ups, usps, dhl, carrier pigeon, etc.

Now you can take that story as great Vortex CS (as I have and have since ordered another PST) or as a cautionary tale that Vortex scopes can have things wrong with them (perish the thought!). Also it should be noted that I do not have any personal experience with IOR scopes or their warranties but understand that IOR will take care of you also. I was just very pleased with my dealings with Vortex.

Call Scott at Liberty Optics or Jay at Sport Optics. I've ordered from both and they're both to notch guys to deal with!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a_bishop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy one of the several used nightforces in the classifieds. Far better scopes than the leupolds </div></div>

+1
smile.gif