• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope for a .308

spofny

Registered from Sweden
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2019
I just got a semi-auto Browning BAR in 308 which I'm going to use for driven hunts on deer and hog as well as for regular range fun and SHTF. Basically a general purpose rifle.

cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

Right now I have a red dot on it which works fine at close range, but it feels like I am handicapping the 308 round by not using a magnified optic. Ideally I would like a setup that both functions well at point blank distance as well as 500 yards out.

I have seen a bunch of promotional pics of this rifle sporting LVPO's so I have been looking at some of those, with 1x minimum magnification since I want to have that red dot feel up close. I realize I could get a higher powered optic and put an offset red dot but since I also want to use it for hunting I don't want to get too many funny looks... Also, I want to keep cost down if I can. Don't really want to spend more than 1500 USD including scope mount/rings and preferably I'd like to keep it under 1000 USD.

Any suggestions are welcome. :) Just one thing though, from the pic you can see that the rail is divided in two.. I'm thinking this might make proper placement hard if scope doesn't have forgiving eye relief?

I ran a 1-4 on a 3-gun rifle and it was decent to 300 but marginal beyond that. The new Vortex Strike Eagle in 1-6 and 1-8 looks intereting.

If you could find a Bushnell Elite SMRS 1-8.5x24 on clearance for under $700 (seen them around occasionally for that), that would be a sweet setup on the BAR..

Burris XTR II 1-8x would probably be a great choice and gets good reviews.

Trijicon 1-8x is cool option too, as well as the good ole Razor gen II 1-6x

Reactions: stello1001
As it happens I stumbled upon a used Razor Gen II 1-6 for 1000 USD and thought it was a good deal, but thanks for all the suggestions. Will keep them for future guns. :)