• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope for a Ruger #1-A sporter

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Morning,

I have a Ruger #1-A light sporter in 30/06 that I need suggestions for a scope.

Right now I have a Leupold vari-x III 2.5-8 sitting on top with Leupold extended rings.

The scope size and magnification fit the rifle perfectly. Makes for a very nice setup.

My problem is I can't get the scope far enough back to get proper eye relief - even using the extension ring.

I can get almost a full FOV on 2.5, but on 8x I have to move my head forward by 2 to 3 inches (approximately).

I have considered getting another extension ring and using 2 of them, but that only gets the scope back another inch.

Additionally, the eye piece of the scope is over the loading ramp which isn't ideal.

The leupold size and mag are perfect, but it seems that I need like an 8" eye relief to get this set correctly.

Thanks

Re: scope for a Ruger #1-A sporter

The rail mount works, but the issue there is it tends to shoot the scope higher now, which can be a pain to get use to.

There is a company that makes a weaver type rail that replaces the rail on the gun, but they always seem to be on back order. Can get them at Brownells.

Last, are you dead set on using this scope? Their are scopes on the market where the eye relief dosn't change through its magnification range.

Re: scope for a Ruger #1-A sporter

Trevor, thanks for the suggestion but I want to keep the gun as it came from the factory - for the most part.

The stock fits me fine, but I am sure with a heavy coat on an inch shorter would be ideal. I may shorten the stock a little.

mgoodrich, I am not dead set on the scope, but from what I have in inventory it fits the rifle the best. I am going to pull a bushnell 4200 off of another rifle and give it a try.

To me, the Ruger #1 is about the best looking hunting rifle for under $1K available to us. Top that off with mine having above average wood, nice deep rich bluing, and classic lines make for a very nice looking rifle.

I saw the rail mount on Brownell's that you recommended. For now, I am going to stick with the factory rail, and try to find another Leupold extension ring without having to buy another set.

I really hate that Leupold scopes eye relief changes so much. The Leupold I have is a gloss finish, and it complements the rifle well.

Thanks again for the input.