• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope for my Remmy 700p?

Schmitty13

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2013
I am just starting to get into shooting with a precision rifle. I should be getting my Remington 700 police chambered in .308 Winchester in two or three weeks and need to start looking for some glass to go on the top of it. Ideally I would like to shoot out to 600-800 yards with this piece of glass after some learning and practice. Now here is the kicker: I want it to be variable power, have turrets for windage and elevation and i am looking to spend hopefully no more than $400 on it. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance

I'm just a newbie looking to be as good as most of you on this forum someday.

Check SWFA. For 800 you should aim for a scope with about 50MOA or equivalent total elevation. Don't forget a decent mount and rings. If you don't reload it's Time to consider it. Getting proficient out to 800 ain't cheap.

Last edited:
Ditto on SWFA in that price range, unless you luck up on a good deal on a used scope.

That's my current problem, I have a Remington 700P in .308 just sitting there with no scope. I am looking at Trijicon for my first choice.

I'd try and save up a bit more or not require variable power.
Borrow a scope for now if you can, and get something like a sightron SIII or vortex viper pst with a bit more money. Or get a fixed power from SWFA or bushnell or other comparable quality.

If you still insist on <$400 and variable power, I've heard good things about falcon menace scopes.

Scratch Super Sniper/SWFA, sorry. Years ago you could get a variable power mil/mil FFP scope from them for pretty cheap. They've gone up quite a bit since I last looked. Best bet may be to just keep an eye out on the Optics for Sale forum here. There's usually some good deals on optics as guys unload extras or upgrade to better scopes, but you're REALLY limiting yourself in that price range.

1) Look for used in the Classifieds

2) Save some more money

3) Some people swear by Millett and some swear AT them. :) But inexpensive.

If you only spend $400 on glass, it is likely you will be buying again later for better.

I say buy a SWFA fixed power. They have them from 6x to 20x. When you are on the cheap considering less features usually will put you in a better scope. My guess is you are going to crank the power all the way up anyway. I'd go with the 16x for $299.95. Get a decent set of rings like TPS and good but inexpensive 20moa base. Start shooting, save your brass. Learn to shoot and research more about optics, all while saving for a better scope. When you are ready to move up, you can sell your SS fixed.

I am just starting to get into shooting with a precision rifle. I should be getting my Remington 700 police chambered in .308 Winchester in two or three weeks and need to start looking for some glass to go on the top of it. Ideally I would like to shoot out to 600-800 yards with this piece of glass after some learning and practice. Now here is the kicker: I want it to be variable power, have turrets for windage and elevation and i am looking to spend hopefully no more than $400 on it. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance

I'm just a newbie looking to be as good as most of you on this forum someday.

I have a 700 SPS-V on which I've put a 6-24x50 FFP MOA/MOA Vortex Viper PST. For ranges out to 800 yards, I have mine mounted with Leupy STD bases and medium 30mm rings (for distances out to 800 yards, you can get by without an xxMOA base. Scope cover is a little bit of a tight fit on the objective bell. I would evaluate whether or not you need either a cheek pad or an adjustable stock (I have this set-up on a glass-bedded B&C A5 stock with adjustable cheekpiece...I would recommend this set-up if you don't have a lot of running in your shooting future). This scope plus mount is a $900 set-up but other Vortex Viper scopes are nearer your price range....I think a 4-16x44 or x50 for about $450 street price.

Harry

You can get something along the lines of a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x for around $400. It won't have FFP or matched turrets but is a solid scope for the money. If you want FFP and/or mil/mil you will need to raise your budget.

I have a 700P that shoots very well. It would be a shame to inhibit yourself with cheap glass. I bought a used Mark4 FFP here in the classifieds pretty cheap. I would at least hold out for a Vortex or a used Leupold.

Maybe its time to consider a straight 10 power scope, Should be able to get you out to 800 no problem. My co-worker used a st 10x with great success, always has and always will. Anyway, just a thought I would recommend the SWFA just save up a little extra and you won't be disappointed.

This one right here, I think would be way better than any variable power scope under $400.
SWFA SS 10x42M Tactical Riflescope
Agreed: The 10x Mil/Mil Super Sniper. It has a good reticle (even the Mil quad is good). It is durable. It tracks. It has good glass. And when you want a scope with more features you can sell it for most of what you paid for it. Variable power scopes for less than $400 are, without exception, tourist traps.