• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Scope for R700 5R-Under $1000 but will goto $1500

MidMO.

Thread Derailer
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2013
MidWEST
I have a R700 5R 20" in .308 WIN. I will be using this rifle for a all in one rifle (a rifle that can be used for everything). My range is out to 1000m and in comfortably. I am pretty new to the bolt action game and want some good starting glass while I practice. I am leaning towards Vortex PST and Nightforce base, rings, level and co sign indicator...

Do yourself a favor and go on up to your max stated price range. Call SWFA and order the SS HD 5-20x50. This scope is the best bargain out there. Glass quality is excellent. To get better glass requires paying a lot more money. The PST you are considering is a nice scope. However, the SS is in an entirely different league and does not cost that much more.

Do yourself a favor and go on up to your max stated price range. Call SWFA and order the SS HD 5-20x50. This scope is the best bargain out there. Glass quality is excellent. To get better glass requires paying a lot more money. The PST you are considering is a nice scope. However, the SS is in an entirely different league and does not cost that much more.

Good advice as I will most likely go this route in the future. I was torn between the Viper Vortex PST 6-24x50 and the SWFA SS HD 5-20x50. There is actually another thread going right now between the two. I'm hoping SWFA or another vendor will offer a good Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal to help bring the price down a little. Main drawback for passing on the viper would be the zero stops and Great warranty coverage. I'm losing out on the illumination as well cause I can't justify it for what the rifle will be used for. Plus it saves me an extra $200 w/out illuminated reticle.

Last edited:
Bushnell HDMR from Liberty Optics on the higher end, Vortex HST 4-16x or SWFA 3-15x FFP on the lower end.

Any of the three will be more than suitable for your stated purpose.

Ill post what I did in the other thread, swfa ss is in a whole different league than the pst. My sisters boyfriend has a 6-24 on his sps tac and I have a SS on mine. The only thing I like about the pst is the zero stop, but that doesn't even bother me since the quality and glass and construction of the SS is so much better,

I just pulled the trigger on an open box vortex 6-24x50 PST FFP MRAD was $800 shipped, no tax. I'm not worried about my purchase at all, vortex has great warranty, and the price I paid is $500 below the SWFA glass... which is going towards an entire RCBS reloading set + dies and even a little left over to buy components ^^

I've heard many good things about the SWFA. However, this is 2013 and you should not be forced into using a mil-dot reticle. Ive found that the newer hash mark reticles (i.e. TMR or MLR) are much easier for holds.

I've heard many good things about the SWFA. However, this is 2013 and you should not be forced into using a mil-dot reticle. Ive found that the newer hash mark reticles (i.e. TMR or MLR) are much easier for holds.

Good thing the SWFA 5-20x has a Mil-Quad reticle then...

I have the PST and feel its a lot of scope for the $$$ I've recently had it out to around a 1k yds and it did the job very well. I went with the Seekins base, Seekins rings and US Optics anti cant level. Total package cost is just over $1k and you are ready to go

The original Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x can be found for about $1100-$1200 new. Add Seekins rings and base and you're still under $1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go for the SWFA SS 5-20 for that budget

For whatever reason the Vortex Viper HS-LR 4-16/6-24x50 (with ffp XLR reticle) doesn't seem to be gaining much popularity. Part #: VHS-4315-LR Mine arrived in February and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

This scope has several nifty featurs, an easy to use tree-style reticle (moa/moa, so no confusion if you wish to read the reticle then dial adjustments), and is right in your price range, but the bang/buck ratio should cost double. Oh, and don't forget about the Vortex warranty. I've read a couple posts, but haven't actually met anyone who had to use the warranty.

Can't hurt to give it a look,
BBB

I would say that the PST is not even close, if they did something with their glass then it would be a competitor.

+1 on the SSHD hands down.

Bushnell HDMR from Liberty Optics on the higher end, Vortex HST 4-16x or SWFA 3-15x FFP on the lower end.

Any of the three will be more than suitable for your stated purpose.

+1 on Bushnell, for under $1k, you can get a 6-24x50 Front Focal Plane with G2DMR reticle. With the extra money you can add a couple more inches to your barrel, a nice trigger, 500-600 rounds of ammo, or about half way to a better stock.