• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope for Sharps Rifle 38-55

Scope Patriot

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I acquired a 38-55 Sharps sometime ago and am finally trying to get it operational. I would like to put on a period scope. It came with what I believe to be a Unertl Type Scope Mount on the gun. See First image.

I just found a brass Navy Arms 4x15 scope with mounts that appear to need to be tapped into the barrel. See Second and Third images.

Would you recommend:

1) that I remove the existing mounts and retap the barrel.
2) that I get a different scope that can be mounted using the Unertl mounts
3) use a brass plate or something to marry the two together
4) something else

Attachments

• IMG_7316.jpg
    IMG_7316.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7314.jpg
    IMG_7314.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7315.jpg
    IMG_7315.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 27
There should be a block for that middle ring to slide in, that's how you adjust windage (poorly). As well the "mount" portion of the rear ring.

The mounts are crappy, I wouldn't use them if I had the option not to. Occasionally I think about buying new mounts and putting my scope on something else, though I don't know if it's worth it money wise.

(I think I paid $200 for my scope/mounts around 1989.)

Last edited:

They do supply mounts, blocks and scopes. The bases are compatible with posa mount scope base which looks like the one in your photo. The spacing of your scope blocks will determine the click value of scope adjustment.
20231213_181553.jpg

Last edited: