• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope ideas on a budget

Marine3019

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2013
So I know there is probably 1000 posts similar to what I am about to post. But Since I am on a budget I thought I would ask anyway.I just picked up a Rem 700 SPS tact 20" in .308. This is going to be my first distance rifle, I would like something that would serve me well at no less than 500yrds but out to 800+. I am really only looking for something around $300-400 depending but would prefer cheaper. I am not at all apposed to buying somthing used. I am looking for a something with atleast 4x mag. I'd really like something with mil dots also. I am new to the whole scope arena (Marine Corps shooter so Irons and Acog is what I shoot with).

I have found some Nikon models that have what I'm looking for in my price range but like I said I dont know to much about it, also dont know what could work better for a simular price.

I started at that kind of price on glass. It got expensive in a hurry. Decide as you want, but at this price point every extra dollar you spend buys a real gain in clarity. If you can find a used Weaver Tactical you MIGHT get away w/$400. I'd suggest not going any lower in glass clarity.

Agreed!

With a good steel base and rings from Warne, you are still under $400.

I mean no offense to anybody, but just because you spent $1000+ on an optic, it does not make you a 1000m+ shooter.

I'm most certainly not and so I'd agree with your advise to the OP. Without reservation! A thought though: Might the inverse be true? I'm inclined to think a good shooter could be held back by lesser glass, reticle, turrets, etc.. I suppose "Say No to US Optics" might be in order for a first recreational scope, but I think I bought my Weaver 3-15 FFP for about $600 or so new, so you can get decent glass at a reasonable (sorta) price. Heck EMDR reticle and illuminated too. It just seems a lot of scope or not lots more money. That was a year or so ago, but it should still be close.

Another thought: If you're shooting 800+ as the OP wants, well... that ain't cheap ammo. FGGM is what, maybe $1.5 a shot? Is this the hobby, and the time, to cut corners? Course maybe he's reloading.

OP, one other thought: I'm an "bigger objective" fan. While common lore is this only affects light gathering, that lore is simply note true: Exit pupil is a straight out math exercise. Objective/magnification= Exit pupil. Now in a 1-4 scope that can actually be a burden, so smaller objectives can help (as can some physics trickery. Some of the better 1-4x stuff does something, I know not what, to break that rule). If you do stay with 3-10 than 223Rem's 40mm suggestion is likely to be great. But if you start thinking more like 4-16x or more I'd start thinking 50mm objective.

Meh. As I read this I'm not explaining exit pupil well. From memory (weak!) the human eye work best with an image presented about 7-8 mm (this varies a little, but it will work for here). Too little or too big an exit pupil from a scope are both problems, so you want to try to get what you can. Consider a 24x on a 50mm scope. The best exit, with proper eye relief, you'll get is about 2mm. Lets call that 1/4 of what the eye could have used for best case. You need to be really still behind the scope, and of course the image won't seem as bright as it would have with more exit pupil.

But I don't wish to do more than help OP consider, and so will bow out w/a "point well made" and a reminder that I'm a darn rookie and so should not be trusted too much.

Regards to all, and to 223 for allowing the point counterpoint. Hopefully we've helped.

Pretty happy with my Bushnell elite 3200 tactical 5-15x40. Japanese built, great glass, tracks as good as any, in your price range....

Might want to take a look at the Weaver Grand Slams you can find at www.natchezss.com Seems Weaver has redone the line of Grand Slam scopes, so ones at Natchez are the older/discontinued models and prices on them are reduced pretty good. Don't own a Grand Slam, but do own a few of the Super Slams and mine are very good scopes. Have viewed thru a few Grand Slams on rifles of my fellow range members and optics in them were very good. Gents with the Grand Slams thought highly of them. Had opportunity to make a stock for one of my shooting buddies that had a Grand Slam on the rifle. Spent some bench time with the rifle shooting it after fitting the stock I'd made. I was very impressed with how the micro-tract elevation/windage adjustments worked in the Grand Slam on his rifle. Rifle was the proverbial tack driver. So I had a hoot changing windage or elevation 3 clicks, shooting the rifle and see the bullet hit precisely where 3 clicks should have put the bullet. I must have fired 10 rounds moving the bullet around on the 100 yd target with it hitting precisely where I expected it to.

Check out a standard Vortex Viper 6.5-20x(44mm or 50mm)

Since your stated use is 500+ yards you'll appreciate the ~65 MOA adjustment range.

I just picked up a Leupold Mark AR mod 1 mil/mil tmr (lines not dots) for $409 with a coupon code from midway USA and it seems to be doing well for the money. I was very very torn between the Leupold and the weaver, both good choices for entry level scopes out would seem.