• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope interchangeability

mugsie

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
I have some very good scopes and some so so scopes. Has anyone developed a set of mounts and rings whereby I can put the scope on one rifle, then at some other time quickly swap it to another rifle and still hold zero, at least windage?

A quick and easy way to use the same scope on different rifles is what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Re: Scope interchangeability

You mean the ability to change the same scope to multiple rifles without having to rezero? None at all that I've heard of. That would require a very precise alignment of the base(s), and I don't think a single gunsmith out there would even venture to undertake that chore.

Now with a good mount like from GDI, you can get a repeatable shift that you can quickly adjust for each time, but you're still going to still have shift every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean the ability to change the same scope to multiple rifles without having to rezero? None at all that I've heard of. That would require a very precise alignment of the base(s), and I don't think a single gunsmith out there would even venture to undertake that chore.

Now with a good mount like from GDI, you can get a repeatable shift that you can quickly adjust for each time, but you're still going to still have shift every time. </div></div>

What he said. Even if both set ups were identical, there are production variances that would make doing this impossible. There are quality, quick detach mounts that will hold zero after removing and re installing the optic back on the same rifle.

Multiple optics for the same rifle w/o changes in zero: yes

Multiple rifles for the same optic w/o changes in zero: no

What if standard rings were used, but a scope base that is adjustable for windage and elevation.

Zero the scope, mount on one rifle. Don't touch the scope, but zero the base. And then mount on the next rifle, zero the base, etc.

Everytime you swap rifles, the zero is maintained in the base not the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peacemaker.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if standard rings were used, but a scope base that is adjustable for windage and elevation.

Zero the scope, mount on one rifle. Don't touch the scope, but zero the base. And then mount on the next rifle, zero the base, etc.

Everytime you swap rifles, the zero is maintained in the base not the scope. </div></div>

So instead of readjusting the scope for every rifle, you readjust the scope base? How is that any easier?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peacemaker.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if standard rings were used, but a scope base that is adjustable for windage and elevation.

Everytime you swap rifles, the zero is maintained in the base not the scope. </div></div>

More stuff to go wrong. I have an Elcan scope and a Trijicon RX01 reflex that both use mount adj. for zero. They are less than optimal to say the least. And you'd still be making adjustments.

They gave you your answer already: repeatable zero for same rifle, yes, repeatable zero for different rifles, no.

I use the Larue QD mounts for my rifles and they do hold a pretty good repeatable zero on the same rifle, but remember, no repeatable zero QD mount is 100% repeatable, they are all off by a varying amount. The higher end mounts, like the Larue, tend to hold them better.

What about taking off your rings that are secured with clamp-nuts (e.g. TPS rings). Does it harm the scope in any way by loosening one ring then the other. If not, wouldn't they return to zero on the rifle also? Yes, this would take more time, but it might be worth it if you wanted to put that scope on another rifle for the weekend?

No. My friend and I both have LaRue OBR rifles in 7.62. I have twice borrowed his SWFA 5-20x50 in a LaRue LT111 OBR mount.

Both times the scope was off however, it was off the same amount. It was close (2.6mil left and 1.1mil low). If the guns were different it would have been much different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
peacemaker.45 said:
So instead of readjusting the scope for every rifle, you readjust the scope base? How is that any easier?</div></div>

No the adjustable base remains on the rifle. There is a different one on each rifle.

That could work as the scope windage & elevation wouldn't be changed once the initial zero was accomplished for rifle #1. Providing your adjustable mount has enough range. Let us know how it works out for you.

OFG

Mugsie,

You're talking about zeroing multiple rifles to a scope. It doesn't work that way, you zero your scope to the rifle.

Zero the scope on one rifle. Write down your settings. Move it to another rifle and zero for that rifle. Write it down. With quality mounts and a quality scope you just mount the scope and dial the zero for that rifle.

Don't skimp on base and rings. Buy quality and it will be rock solid. Think $100+ for base and another $100+ for rings.

Dinc, Duh! Now why didn't I thank of that! Your solution works the best. Zero on one, record settings, remount, rezero and record and now I have the offset to be used between rifles. Duh - I feel like a dunce - so easy.

Thanks everyone for all your input - it all goes into the data bank to be processed.

I need to get some quality bases and rings and I'll be all set.

thanks again all.....